Foreign

Wrongful death trial over ‘Walking Dead’ stuntman begins

Published

on


The wrongful death trial of “Walking Dead” stuntman John Bernecker started Tuesday in Georgia, with AMC Networks’ attorneys arguing that his tragic death was a result of his mistake.


Bernecker, who was 33, died in 2017 from injuries sustained while filming a scene for the series’ eighth season.

A trial started Tuesday in Gwinnett County, where the show is based, after his mother Susan Bernecker brought a wrongful death suit against the cable network last year.

It is expected to last 10 days.

While film- and TV-related deaths have declined over the last two decades, thanks to new safety provisions and the use of digital effects to replace physical stunts, there have been a series of high-profile deaths and injuries on sets in recent years.

Sarah Jones was killed in Georgia in a 2014 train accident during the making of “Midnight Rider,” and her family was awarded 11.2 million dollars after filing a wrongful death lawsuit.

Two crew members of the Tom Cruise movie “American Made” died in a plane crash during production in Colombia in 2015.

And in 2018, stuntwoman Joi “S.J.” Harris died after performing a motorcycle stunt for the superhero sequel “Deadpool 2” in Vancouver, Canada.

Bernecker died after performing a 22-foot (6.7-meter) fall off a balcony, landing on a part of the ground that wasn’t padded or protected.

Bernecker’s death, from blunt force trauma, was ruled accidental by a coroner.

The suit alleged that there was no ambulance on site and that it took 30 minutes from the time of the fall until he was evacuated by helicopter for medical treatment.

This was a tragic accident, and our deepest sympathies continue to go out to John Bernecker’s family and friends,” AMC Networks, producer of the 10-season-long show, said in a statement.

The set of ‘The Walking Dead’ is safe, and is regularly evaluated to ensure that it adheres to all industry standards and guidelines related to stunts and stunt safety, notwithstanding this very sad and isolated accident.

Bernecker was experienced, appearing in films including “Get Out,” “Logan”, and “The Fate of the Furious”.

His family filed the wrongful death suit in January 2018, alleging that the fatal fall resulted from a lack of rehearsal by the production and failure to follow industry standards.

AMC, however, has blamed Bernecker for the death.

In spite of having placed safety mats for his landing, the stuntman hung onto a rail that changed the trajectory of his landing, missing the mats, the company argued in court.

Unfortunately, the evidence will show that Mr Bernecker made a mistake,” David Dial, an attorney representing AMC, said in court Tuesday.

That purposeful action in hanging on is what took him away from the safety of the mat that he located,” he added.

Attorney Jeff Harris, acting for the Bernecker family, said on the first day of the trial that AMC failed to follow its own policies and procedures regarding safety during the stunt.

There was no production safety representative and a 10-foot capture system used in Bernecker’s planned fall was inadequate, Harris said, adding: “No stunt performer has died performing a fall in 17 years because there are specific safety policies and procedures in place.”

YEE

Edited by: Emmanuel Yashim
(NAN)
Related

https://nnn.ng/wrongful-death-trial-over-walking-dead-stuntman-begins/

House of Kaduna Family pledge to accelerate peace, security in Kaduna State AEDC suspends service reflective tariff  AMAC committed to building a digital economy – Council boss Independence: APC forum tasks Nigerians on support for government in nation building COVID-19: Schools to resume Oct. 5 in Imo Felele fire accidents: Kogi NGO Network calls for prosecution of truck owners Abdullahi takes over as new Commandant of NSCDC in Kaduna Airtel’s Segun Ogunsanya named Industry Personality of the Year Nigeria @60: Space engineers want Nigeria to embrace science, technology development Declining train services force passengers to turn to trucks in Zungeru Flooding: Over 52,956 victims accommodated in 175 IDPs’ camps in Kebbi-Bagudu Nigeria at 60: Sanusi supports FG on subsidy removal Nigeria @60: Gov. Okowa says it hasn’t been easy, as Deltans defy rain to mark independence day Kolade stresses need for strong corporate governance by government Nigeria @60: KNSG distribute items to VVF patients, children’s home Ministry pledges quality education for the girl-child Nigeria @60: LCDA chairman urges peaceful coexistence Ondo Governorship: 10 political parties to present consensus candidate Kogi to prosecute perpetrators of payroll fraud, says Gov. Bello Nigeria @60: ASUU tasks FG on 2009 agreement, payment of earned academic allowances Nigeria @ 60: Kebbi Govt. plans to build, distributes freely, 5000, 2-bedroom housing units Ex-MD of Daily Times unveils environment newspaper India congratulates Nigeria on 60th Anniversary Independence Anniversary: Speaker, Ekiti Assembly, Afuye, lawmaker congratulate Nigerians AfDB partners with FG, Microsoft to create 9m jobs in 10 years Primate urges political leaders to shun greed, make national interest a priority Sokoto Govt. to turn Almajiri issues into opportunities-Tambuwal 2 dead, 6 injured in Ogun auto crash Nigeria at 60: Kwara Speaker sues for peace, unity Nigeria at 60: SERAP, others urge strengthening of anti-corruption institutions Monarch urges Nigerians to support fight against terrorism Reflect on untapped potential, ANLCA president tells maritime stakeholders Nigeria @60: Nigerians react to economic growth projections of President Buhari World Bank, AGF rate Sokoto high on financial prudence, transparency – Official Unhealthy rivalry hinders effective healthcare delivery in Nigeria- Foundation COVID-19: FG/IFAD-VCPD train 960 farmers on financial literacy in Niger Nigeria @ 60: Institute urges FG to expedite action on national building code bill Nigeria at 60: Lawyers, rights activists task judiciary on justice delivery  COVID-19: PTF says 27, 000 travellers have entered Nigeria through Lagos, Abuja airports Nigeria at 60: Sen. Akpan lauds Buhari’s plan to lift Nigerians out of poverty Nigeria @60: Adewale Ayuba congratulates Nigerians, canvasses peaceful co-existence Gov. Ganduje restates commitment to complete ‎roads, critical infrastructure projects  Expert urges NERC to sanction investors for breaking rules of engagement Wike restates commitment to national unity NAWOJ rates Ganduje “most gender-sensitive governor”  Auchi Polytechnic denies rumoured death of Rector Independence Anniversary: FCT remains home to all -Minister Nigeria @60: ASUU says vibrant education system, good leadership way forward Experts task Nigerians healthy lifestyle against cardiovascular diseases India congratulates Nigeria says recent exchanges signifies strengthened relations