A 30-year-old businesswoman, Mujidat Adebanjo, on Friday appeared in an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court for allegedly defrauding a woman of N3million.
Adebanjo, who resides in Alagbado area of Lagos, was arraigned before Magistrate B.O Osunsanmi on a three-count charge of conspiracy, obtaining money under false pretences and stealing.
She, however, denied committing the offences, and the magistrate granted her bail in the sum of N300,000, with two sureties in like sum.
Osunsanmi ordered that the sureties should be gainfully employed and show evidence of two years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
Police Prosecutor, ASP Ezekiel Ayorinde, told the court that the defendant committed the offences with her mother, who is still at large, in June 2018, at Ijaiye, in Lagos.
Ayorinde said that the defendant defrauded the complainant, Mrs Ayo Agboke.
He said that the defendant approached the complainant through her mother, who is a domestic servant to the complainant, to give her N3million on the pretext of using it for her husband’s murder case.
“The defendant approached the complainant claiming her husband was in prison for murder, and that she needed the N3million to settle the case.
“The complainant gave her, but later discovered after some months that it was a framed story, and that the defendant and her mother planned it in order to dupe her.
“When she demanded for her money, the defendant threatened to deal with her if she asked her for any money.
“The complainant reported the case to the police and the defendant was arrested ” the prosecutor said.
He said the offences violated Sections 287, 314 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that section 287 stipulates three years imprisonment for stealing while section 314 prescribes 15 years for obtaining money under false pretences.
The case was adjourned until Aug.12, for mention.https://nnn.ng/woman-in-court-over-alleged-n3m-fraud/
Woman believed to have contracted coronavirus one month before first confirmed case in UK
A British woman, who fell ill on Jan. 6, was found to have contracted the novel coronavirus after an antibody test — presumably nearly a month before the first confirmed COVID-19 case in Britain on Jan. 29, according to local media.
Susannah Ford said she fell ill two days after she returned home to west London from the Obergurgl resort in Austria, where she had been on a skiing holiday with her husband and two daughters.
Yet she was the only one in the family who fell ill. The 53-year-old art director did not notice the link between her illness and COVID-19, until she read reports about the disease weeks later and related symptoms started to appear.
“It felt like death,” Ford told The Sunday Times. “I ached terribly in every muscle and joint for five days and was too groggy even to go to the Eliot prize for poetry.”
The woman had an antibody test late last month, which showed she was infected with the coronavirus. But she cannot be completely sure whether she contracted the virus in early January.
“We didn’t go to any clubs or discos, we ate in the hotel every night and were then safely tucked up in bed,” she said. “But I guess when you are skiing you touch lots of things — ski poles, lift buttons…”
Though her infection time cannot be specified, Ford noted she hasn’t been ill since or come into contact with people who have the virus.
Britain has recorded a total of 295,828 confirmed cases of COVID-19, and the death toll reached 41,747 as of 0633 GMT on Sunday, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University.
Woman in court over alleged N110m land fraud
A 49-year-old woman, Aishatu Sani,on Wednesday appeared in a Chief Magistrates’ Court in Wuse Zone Six, over alleged N110 million land fraud.
The police charged Sani, who resides in FHA, Lugbe, Abuja, with three counts of criminal conspiracy, cheating and fraud.
The Prosecution Counsel, Fidelis Ogbobe, told the court that the defendant committed the offence in 2015.
Ogbobe alleged that the defendant conspired with one Gbenga Olarenwaju, currently at large and deceived the complainant into believing that she was the owner of a plot of land.
In addition, the prosecutor alleged that the complainant, Anidi transferred N110 million into the defendant’s Skybank account number 3011984315, being payment for the land.
He further said the complainant also gave Olarenwaju the sum of N100, 000 to effect change of ownership of the land to his name.
Ogbobe said it was when the complainant went to the Abuja Municipal Council to verify the land papers, he was informed that the documents were fake.
He said every effort to get his money back failed.
The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 97,322 and 364 of the Penal Code Law.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
Ndajiwo adjourned the case until July 20, for hearing.https://nnn.ng/woman-in-court-over-alleged-n110m-land-fraud/
Woman, 46, docked over alleged theft of N494,000 in Ogun
A 46-year-old woman, Adewunmi Adedayo, was on Wednesday arraigned before an Ota Magistrates’ Court in Ogun for allegedly stealing N455,000 cash and a cell phone worth N39,000, all valued at N494,000.
Adedayo, of no fixed address, is facing a one- count charge of stealing.
“The defendant was caught by a passersby and handed over to the police,” he said.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
She ordered that the sureties must reside within the Court’s jurisdiction and be gainfully employed with evidence of tax payment to Ogun Government.
The case was adjourned until June 24 for trial.https://nnn.ng/woman-46-docked-over-alleged-theft-of-n494000-in-ogun/
Alleged Fraud: Court orders interim forfeiture of businessman’s N827m to FG
Justice Chukwujeku Aneke of a Federal High Court in Lagos on Monday, ordered the interim forfeiture of N827 million recovered from a businessman, Matthew Edevbie, to the Federal Government.
Justice Aneke gave the order, following an ex parte application filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Aneke directed the EFCC to publish the order in any national daily for any interested party to appear before the court within 14 days and show cause why the money should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal government.
The court fixed June 29 for parties to show cause.
According to the commission, the sum is ‘reasonably suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activity pursuant to Section 17 of the Advance Fee Fraud and other Fraud related offences Act, 2006 and Section 44(2)b of the 1999 Constitution.
EFCC said that if the application ‘was not heard and determined expeditiously, the monies housed in the said bank account sought to be temporarily forfeited will be dissipated.’
The commission tendered an affidavit of urgency in support of the motion ex parte sworn to by an EFCC Investigating Officer, Mr Chidi Nweke.
He said: ‘The said intelligence was investigated, traced to and recovered from Edevbie, who is the owner of Flank Power Resources.https://nnn.ng/alleged-fraud-court-orders-interim-forfeiture-of-businessmans-n827m-to-fg/