The Oyo State Government says its decision to revoke the 26,000 hectares of forest reserve land allocated by the immediate past administration was in the interest of the state.
Briefing newsmen on Tuesday over the revocation, Mr Kehinde Ayoola, the state Commissioner for Environment and Natural Resources, said the allocation was illegal and not for agricultural purpose as claimed by the past administration.
According to Ayoola, the administration of Sen. Abiola Ajimobi illegally allocated 6,000 and 20,000 hectares to individuals at Gambari in Oluyole Local Government Area and Opara in Oke Ogun area of the state.
” ‘Their claim was that the allocations were for agricultural purposes but you cannot see any farming or other agricultural activities going on in any of the areas now.
”It is very unfortunate that the administration that was supposed to preserve forests in the state to fight against global warming was depleting them.
”Forests are essential in the management of ecology of our state inthat they assist in fighting global warming.
” Forests also contain plants with their roots binding the soil together to ensure that there is no erosion, so to avoid ecological disaster, you need forests.
”Nations throughout the world look into their reserves or even increase the size of their forest reserves.
”So it is ungodly for anybody to do anything that would reduce the size of our forests or to take such for themselves.
”The present government will do everything to secure and protect its forest reserves and also take steps to expand its forest resources.
”The public should be made to know that we are on course to access significant grants from the United Nations for the development of our forest resources under a programme called REDD Plus – Reducing Emission from Deforestation and Degradation.
”The REDD programme is in the second phase and Oyo didn’t apply during the first phase.
”The team for the REDD was in the state last week for the selection of three states out of seven states competing for the grants.
”You can now see how the allocation of such forest reserves to individuals would be and work against us on the REDD grants,
”That is why Gov. Makinde takes serious exception to looting of our patrimony,” the commissioner said.
He urged the people of the state not to be distracted, saying the Makinde administration would continue to serve them.
(Edited by Mufutau Ojo) https://nnn.ng/why-oyo-govt-revoked-26000-hectares-of-land-commisioner/
Foundation donates food, other gifts items to widows in Abuja
News Agency of Nigeria reports that at the maiden edition of the foundation’s meeting on Saturday in Abuja, the widows were full of praises to the foundation.
Major items such as rice, spaghetti, indomie, seasoning, vegetable oil, salt, bread, Ankara materials, shoes and cash were distributed to widows.
Mrs Bukola Adewumi, founder of the SASF, said empowering widows was a dream come through for her, adding that her mother was also a widow and knew what she went through during the period, until she passed on.
”This is like a burden to me, my mother was a widow, I knew what she went through, the struggle and I have nursed this ambition from my university days and also given the little I had then,” she said.
Adewumi said she had been giving her widow’s mite before now, but that it was time to establish a foundation that would be readily available to cater for their needs.
She noted that her greatest joy would be to see the widows smile, stressing that it was the essence of establishing the foundation to assist widows.
According to her, SASF will not only be about sharing food items, but would also ensure that the widows are trained on entrepreneurial skills, in other to have a ready source of livelihood.
She explained that the foundation would acquire land and build a widow’s home, in a bid to have projects running there.
”Whatever money we make as proceeds will be plough back to the widows,” she said.
Adewumi said the foundation would have a data base where the names and details of all widows would be saved, for possible support, adding that widows, who register with her foundation, would no longer be a liabilities.
She then called on public spirited Nigerians to contribute to the foundation in the drive to help the widows out of doldrums, adding that their financial support would help cushion their plight.
Mrs Elizabeth Aledare, a resident of Lugbe Airport road, lauded the foundation, adding that the gesture was a divine intervention for her as she and her children had nothing to eat at the moment.
She said that one of her children was billed to return to school come Sept. 21, but that the fear of getting her food had overwhelmed her, until the foundation intervened.
Aladare, 53, from Kogi, who had been a widow for 12 years, said she would remain grateful for the swift intervention by the foundation.
Mrs Chinese Ozor, one of the beneficiaries, a 40 -year-old widow from Enugu, who lost her husband in 2016, commended the organiser, describing the initiative as a timely intervention.
She said such gesture would linger in her memory, while calling for support from Nigerians for the foundation to be able to reach out to other widows.
Mrs Binta Aminu, another beneficiary, 42, from Katsina, who lost her husband in 2018, said the intervention by the foundation was heartwarming.
Aminu said she could not believe her eyes with the items provided by the foundation, while commending the organiser for the kind gesture.
Mary Adeyemi, 23, from Oyo, who lost her husband in 2019, described the gesture as huge and wonderful.
The young widow urged other public spirited Nigerians to join hands with SASF to reduce the burden of widows in the country.
Edited By: Chinyere Nwachukwu/Felix Ajide
The Smile Attaracts Smile Foundation (SASF) distributing food items on Saturday in Abujahttps://nnn.ng/foundation-donates-food-other-gifts-items-to-widows-in-abuja/
COVID-19: NCDC announces 221 new cases, total infections rise to 56,956
The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Friday.
According to it, the new cases are confirmed from 18 states in the country.
The new infections brought the total number of confirmed cases to 56,956 in Nigeria.
The public health agency said that Lagos had 59, the highest number of cases, followed by Abia with 46 cases and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), 22.
Among others were; Rivers, 11, Bauchi, 7, Benue, Ekiti and Imo, 6 each, Kaduna, Kwara and Ondo, 4 each, Ogun and Osun, 3 each, Bayelsa, Edo and Kano, 1 each.
According to it, those discharged on Friday include 100 community recoveries managed in Oyo State in line with new case management guidelines.
The health agency sadly recorded one more death, which brought the national death toll to 1,094.
It noted that a multi-sectoral national emergency operations centre (EOC) activated at Level 3 had continued to coordinate the national response activities across the country.
It cautioned that the risk of getting infected with COVID-19 was higher when people did not wear face mask in public places.
“Wear your face mask properly at all times. Adhere to all non-pharmaceutical preventive measures of COVID-19,” it urged Nigerians.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that as the people of Edo State prepared to vote their preferred candidates at the governorship election on Saturday, Sept. 19, NCDC urged all to observe the COVID-19 guidelines recently released.
It noted that relevant stakeholders must take actions that would reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 during the election.
“Ensure there is hand hygiene and temperature checks at the campaign ground, polling stations; providing additional polling stations or booths to ensure physical distancing, with clearly marked floors to enforce spacing on queues.
”Mandating the use of face mask for everyone, regular cleaning of polling stations, tables and other surfaces highly essential because those are the areas that are easy to contract the virus.
”Multiply hand-washing points or alcohol-based hand sanitiser, while staff at the polling units should practice hand hygiene frequently,.”
Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu
Father, 60, remanded for allegedly raping daughter, 22
An Iyaganku Chief Magistrates’ Court in Ibadan on Friday remanded a sexagenarian, Abiodun Omokhunu, 60, at State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (CIID) for allegedly raping his daughter.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Omokhunu of undisclosed address was charged with one – count charge of rape.
The Magistrate, Mrs O.A Akande, who did not take the defendant’s plea, remanded him at the State CIID custody pending the return of the case file from Oyo State Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP).
Magistrate Akande, thereafter, adjourned the matter until Nov. 12, for mention.
The Prosecutor, Sgt. Gbemisola Adedeji, had told the court that Omokhunu on Aug. 31, at about 10a.m. allegedly had unlawful carnal knowledge of his daughter, 22, without her consent.
Adedeji said the offence was committed at Alubata area, Apete, Ibadan.
She said the matter contravened Section 357 and punishable under Section 358 of the Criminal Code of Oyo State 2000.
Edited By: Wale Ojetimi
Coy seeks Oyo govt’s support on renovation of ancient Mapo Hall
The Ibadan Properties Company Limited has sought the support of the Oyo State Government towards the renovation of the ancient Mapo Hall, to give it a face lift.
The company solicited the state government’s support on Thursday while conducting Hon. Akeem Ige, Special Adviser to the Governor on Culture and Tourism, round the edifice.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Ibadan Properties Company Limited (IPCL) is jointly owned by the 11 local government areas in Ibadan.
NAN reports that Ige had visited the ancient hall as part of his on the spot assessment tour of monuments and tourist sites in the state.
Hon. Kehinde Akande, the IPCL Board Chairman and Caretaker Chairman of Ibadan South-West Local Government, said the state government’s assistance was imperative considering the deplorable condition of the building.
He stressed that the renovation of the edifice was beyond what the local governments could handle without the assistance of the state government.
“It is obvious that the owner local governments cannot handle its renovation alone and that is why we are soliciting the assistance of the state government.
“The edifice was last renovated in 2007 with the support of the state government,” he said.
Akande commended Gov. Seyi Makinde for his determination to develop all facilities that were in deplorable condition.
He said that the dream of the IPCL was to rehabilitate all properties under it and make them compete with other companies like the Oodua Group of Companies.
Ige in his remarks, expressed displeasure over the dilapidated state of the monument, which he described as the pride of Ibadan people.
He said that Mapo Hall was built in 1929 was refurbished last in 2007, while he was board chairman of IPCL, stressing that majority of the facilities fixed therein were no longer functioning.
Ige expressed joy that the governor had shown keen interest in bringing back the lost glory of major heritage sites already in comatose across the state.
Benson Iziama/Ifeyinwa Omowolehttps://nnn.ng/coy-seeks-oyo-govts-support-on-renovation-of-ancient-mapo-hall/