NNN: Why Naira remain immune from election spendings
By Fabian Ekeruche
Lagos, Feb. 15, 2019(NNN) Aminu Gwadabe, President, Association of Bureau De Change Operators of Nigeria (ABCON), has identified factors that kept the naira immune from election spendings.
Gwadabe told the News Agency of Nigeria (NNN) on Friday in Lagos that internal control mechanisms of the electoral umpire contributed greatly to checkmating political spendings as the naira remained stable at the FOREX market.
Gwadabe commended the awareness created by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commision (EFCC) against trading in illicit funds as a boost to the stability of the naira.
He also noted that uninterrupted inflows from the International Money Transfer Operators (IMTOs) and Diaspora remittances helped in making the market liquid.
The financial expert said that the proactiveness of the CBN in its series of interventions at the market, and its strategic partnership with BDCs helped in the stability of the naira.
He added that investors confidence in the market was also growing.
NNN reports that the market was apprehensive that speculator’s would leverage political spendings to crash the naira.
However, hours to the commencement of the 2019 elections, the naira remained stable, closing at N358.8 to the dollar at the end of Friday trading. (NNN)
Edited by Wale Ojetimi
- Health: AbdulRazaq approves recruitment of 197 medical personnel in Kwara
- Ram dealers bemoan low patronage as prices soar in Benin
- Customs Onne Port command generates N115.26bn in H1
- Lagos reiterates commitment to providing enabling environment for MSMEs
- Peace: Sen. Akwashiki donates N10m to CAN
- Army regular intake to screen 1,560 in Zamfara
- Ten takeaways from State Visit to Portugal: Two Nations and the will for strategic partnership – Garba Shehu
- 2023: NYSC advises corps members to comply with rules of elections
- I’ll provide leadership for medical community, says NMA FCT Chairmanship aspirant
- Police arrest 3 suspects for alleged rape, forceful initiation of girl into cult group
- Communiqué of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission on the Situation in Libya
- Retirement: Staff, friends of National Hospital Abuja laud outgoing CMD
- UNICEF applauds release of over 50 abducted children in Ondo
- Security consultant advises Nigerians to know their neighbours
- MSF calls for urgent humanitarian response in Borno
- World Sports Press Day 2022: Message from the President of ANOCA
- Financial experts attribute decline in living standards to high inflation rate
- UFC: Sunday Dare Congratulates Israel Adesanya on Another Successful Title Defence
- Appeal Court fixes July 5 for judgment in Abuja land dispute matter
- Hundreds of anti-coup protesters in Sudan defy security forces