Academic Staff Union of Universities, Lagos State University (ASUU-LASU) Chapter, says it is yet to take a stand over the ongoing two-week warning strike embarked upon by union.
The ASUU-LASU Chairman, Dr Ibrahim Bakare, told the Nigeria News Agency on Wednesday in Lagos that academic activities were ongoing in the university as his chapter was yet to join the two-week warning strike.
NAN reports that ASUU had on Monday declared a two-week warning strike over Federal Government’s refusal to pay lecturers not enrolled into the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS) and the non implementation of the 2009 agreement, among other issues.
“It is only the our congress that will direct us on what to do. Our colleagues should not be intimidated. They should remain available for our students.
“By next week,the congress will have its meeting as there are quite a number of pending issues concerning the welfare of our academic members that need to be addressed.
“At this point of negotiations, we are getting positive responses from the relevant authorities which means there is no point to stop lectures,” he said.
Bakare said that LASU academic staff had resolved to make the institution stable because there were quite a number of things that needed to be addressed.
“Rather than looking up to the ASUU national executive that never took our interest into consideration for a very long time.
“The congress feel we should be very focused by creating a conducive atmosphere that will promote peace, tranquility and flow of lectures without hitch.
“For example, our earned academic allowance has been processed to about 90 per cent completion, it will not be reasonably to truncate the remaining 10 per cent and minimum wage is at the maximum level,” he said.
Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Wale Ojetimi