By Stanley Nwanosike
Haruna spoke at the end of a week-long subnational health security assessment of core capacities of the International Health Regulations (IHR).
The Nigerian News Agency (NAN) reports that the assessment workshop is sub-theme: “Strengthening epidemic preparedness across Nigeria”.
He called on all state health units – ministries of health, agriculture and the environment – to continue working together to achieve the best in human and animal health.
“When it comes to health issues, it is not just the responsibility of the health ministry, but all stakeholders should be involved,” she said.
She praised the state health ministry staff for understanding each other on health security as it had helped them work together and had a framework that would advance health.
Okunromade listed areas with critical needs to include policy and legislation, health security financing, multisectoral coordination at all levels and human resource capacity building.
She commended the state for its leadership role and for being the first in Nigeria and on the African continent to be evaluated.
“Enugu State is the first state to engage in the health security assessment of the core capacities of international health regulation,” she said.
In response, state health commissioner Professor Ikechukwu Obi said the ministry has done its internal and joint assessments before.
According to Obi, the tools used for internal and joint evaluations were among the tools used today for external evaluation by WHO.
He assured WHO, NCDC and other health partners that the state would carefully study the assessment recommendations and improve its health indices and coordination in all areas.
The IHR assessment team assessed the emergency preparedness of the ministries of health, agriculture and the environment to address emerging epidemics and disease outbreaks. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yUF
- Bird flu: Bauchi govt. kills about 27,000 birds to curtail spread
- Heirs Oil & Gas announces the appointments of its CEO and Board of Directors
- NCDC records 39 new infections, zero death
- Victor Campenaerts warming up for the Giro d’Italia time trial on Zwift
- Abuja residents count losses as FCDA demolishes illegal structures
- Rugby Africa Sevens Solidarity Camp: All matches will be broadcast live on Saturday and Sunday on Rugby Africa’s Facebook page and Rugby Africa’s YouTube channel
- Adimula Commissions PTI Skill Development Academy
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 update (May 6, 2021)
- JUSUN, PASAN strike to end soon – FG