Sport

Vardy primed for another prolific season after brace at West Brom

Published

on


Even at the ripe old age of 33, Jamie Vardy again looks set to have a prolific season for Leicester City.


This became evident after the former England international got the 2020/2021 season up and running with a double in his side’s 3-0 win at West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.

Vardy became the Premier League’s oldest Golden Boot winner after finishing the 2019/2020 season with 23 goals, one more than nearest challengers Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Danny Ings.

Even with a short break between the campaigns, Vardy showed no sign of weariness in Leicester’s season opener at the Hawthorns.

Both goals were expertly taken penalty kicks —— the first of which he won himself —— to ensure Vardy has scored in all five of his away Premier League appearances against West Brom.

The only player in Premier League history to play as many away matches against an opponent and score in each match is Ruud van Nistelrooy for Manchester United at Newcastle United.

There certainly was a similarity to the Dutch striker’s pinpoint penalty kick-taking in Varda’s spot kicks.

No player made more sprints than Vardy and he was a handful for promoted West Brom all game.

“He’s a box player,” Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers said. “He’ll never be dropping back to join with bright intricate play but he’s a killer in the box.

“Whether from a cross or penalty kick, he’s got the eye to score. He never looked like missing.”

Vardy appears to have already vindicated his decision to retire from international football to prolong his club career.

The Englishman has scored 34 goals in the English Premier League (EPL) under Rodgers and has netted more goals than any other player in the top flight since March 2019.

Burnley will be working on how to stop the striker as they travel to Leicester next weekend.

 

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Source: NAN

 

 

https://nnn.ng/vardy-primed-for-another-prolific-season-after-brace-at-west-brom/

Sport

Bale signing leaves Alli’s Spurs future in doubt

Published

on


Of the Tottenham Hotspur players impacted by the loan signing of Gareth Bale from Real Madrid, Dele Alli appears the most vulnerable but manager Jose Mourinho has said he will not be sacrificed in the transfer window.


Bale will not be ready to resume his Tottenham career until October as he regains fitness, but when he does it is likely to be in an attacking trio with Harry Kane and Son Heung-min.

Alli burst into the spotlight at Tottenham in 2015-16 when he was named PFA Young Player of the Year and made his England debut, but his form has dipped to such an extent that he has lost his place in Jose Mourinho’s side.

Left out of Gareth Southgate’s last England squad too, Alli, now aged 24, is at something of a crossroads.

His preferred position, playing just behind a front two, looks tailor-made for Bale and Mourinho also has an abundance of attacking options in the form of Lucas Moura, Steven Bergwijn, Giovani Lo Celso and Erik Lamela.

Mourinho demands a high work ethic and a recent behind-the-scenes documentary about Tottenham featured one episode in which Mourinho tells Alli he is “lazy” and later, in a one-to-one chat, warns him that he could regret not reaching his potential.

Alli was substituted at halftime in Tottenham’s first Premier League game of the new season, a 1-0 loss to Everton.

He did not feature at all in last week’s Europa league win at Lokomotiv Plovdiv, nor the 5-2 win at Southampton on Sunday in which Son scored four goals.

With three weeks of the transfer window left, Alli’s name is already being linked with a move to Paris St Germain, but his stock is not what it was when he scored twice for Tottenham in their first ever win against Real Madrid in 2017.

“I want a balanced squad, that’s what I want. He doesn’t need to be sacrificed, but the squad is a puzzle,” Mourinho said when asked about Alli’s future on Sunday.

Former Tottenham midfielder Michael Brown believes it might be in everyone’s best interests if Alli were to be sold.

“It doesn’t look like they’re getting on very well,” Brown told BBC Radio. “I’m hoping he has a reaction and takes the challenge head on, but it doesn’t look good and maybe this one’s broken.”

ERO/

(
Edited By: Emmanuel Okara)
Source: NAN

 

https://nnn.ng/bale-signing-leaves-allis-spurs-future-in-doubt/
Continue Reading

COVID-19

Man City’s Gundogan tests positive for COVID-19

Published

on


Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan has tested positive for COVID-19, the Premier League club said on Monday.


Gundogan is the third player in the squad to return a positive test in recent weeks.

City winger Riyad Mahrez and defender Aymeric Laporte previously tested positive for the novel coronavirus earlier this month.

“Gundogan is now observing a 10-day period of self-isolation in accordance with Premier League and UK Government protocol on quarantine,” the club said in a statement.

Gundogan is likely to miss three matches for City while he self-isolates, including Monday’s league clash against Wolverhampton Wanderers, Thursday’s League Cup tie against Bournemouth and Sunday’s league game against Leicester City.

Both Mahrez and Laporte returned to training last week but City boss Pep Guardiola said only the Algerian winger would be available against Wolves — City’s opening game of the season.

Edited By: Maharazu Ahmed
Source: NAN

Edited By: Joseph Edeh
Source: NAN

 

 

https://nnn.ng/man-citys-gundogan-tests-positive-for-covid-19/
Continue Reading

Sport

Aston Villa sign forward Traore from Lyon for 18 million euros

Published

on


Aston Villa have signed Burkina Faso international, l Bertrand Traore from Olympique Lyonnais for 18.4 million euros (16.88 million pounds) plus up to 2.2 million euros in incentives, the Ligue 1 club announced on Monday.


Traore, 25, made 126 appearances for Lyon and scored 33 goals after his arrival from Chelsea in 2017.

Lyon confirmed they would receive 15 per cent of the funds generated from any future transfer.

“Olympique Lyonnais wishes Bertrand the best of luck in the top flight of English football four years after his initial experience with a Premier League club,” Lyon said in a statement.

Traore began his professional career at Chelsea in 2014 but failed to cement a spot in the first team and was loaned out to Vitesse Arnhem and Ajax Amsterdam before joining Lyon in 2017.

Capped 54 times by Burkina Faso, Traore was part of the side that won the bronze medal in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.

He will add attacking firepower to an Aston Villa squad that finished 17th last season, narrowly avoiding relegation.

Lyon also confirmed the departure of Romanian goalkeeper Ciprian Tatarusanu to AC Milan for 0.5 million euros, while German goalkeeper Julian Pollersbeck arrives from Hamburg SV on a four-year deal for 0.25 million euros plus incentives.

Edited By: Joseph Edeh/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/aston-villa-sign-forward-traore-from-lyon-for-18-million-euros/
Continue Reading

Sport

Mane double eases Liverpool to 2-0 win over 10-man Chelsea

Published

on


Two goals from Sadio Mane just after halftime eased champions Liverpool to a 2-0 win over 10-man Chelsea in the Premier League season’s first heavyweight clash at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.


The game never threatened to live up to the eight-goal thriller when the side’s met in July, and it proved all-too-easy for Liverpool to lay down the season’s first big marker.

However, Chelsea were architects of their own downfall.

Chelsea managed only one goal attempt in the first half but were solid enough until Danish defender Andreas Christensen was sent off shortly before the interval for hauling down Mane.

Mane headed Liverpool in front five minutes after the interval and four minutes later took advantage of a dreadful error by Chelsea keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga as the hosts crumbled.

Liverpool gave new midfield signing Thiago Alcantara a debut off the bench but the Spaniard’s first impact was to offer Chelsea a lifeline.

The former Bayern Munich player fouled Timo Werner to concede a penalty with a little under 20 minutes remaining.

But Jorginho’s effort was saved by the otherwise redundant Alisson Becker to spare Liverpool any late tension.

Liverpool have won both their opening games while Chelsea have three points.

Edited By: Maharazu Ahmed
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/mane-double-eases-liverpool-to-2-0-win-over-10-man-chelsea/
Continue Reading

Edo election: Observer faults integrity of governorship election Motorists decry state of roads in Kuje Kaduna NLC mourns Emir of Zazzau Health Minister says 10% of COVID-19 cases are under-19 Edo Polls: SDP congratulates Obaseki, commends INEC Buhari to Okorocha at 58: Your large heart will always stand you out Kuje PDP inaugurates leaders of South-West group Ogun community lauds Airtel for restoring electricity 15 years after disconnection Netflix announces new original contents from Nigeria Minister inaugurates committees on sales, distributions of agro-chemical inputs NCPC boss honours Bauchi, celebrates ‘Word Peace Day’ in the state 20 ships discharging petrol other items at Lagos port – NPA FG spends N8.9t on subsidy in 10 years -PPPRA NSCDC prevents thieves from diverting 1,100 litres of PMS across border NAHCON mourns Emir of Zazzau Fayemi inaugurates steering committee on Open Government Partnership NCC set to commence cost-based review of new rates for International voice calls services Osinbajo Engages APC Social Media Influencers on hate speech NCDC, NIMR, partners to conduct COVID-19 antibody tests in 4 states Organisation trains varsity students on anti-corruption skills COVID-19: PTF warns against neglect of protocols Osinbajo, UNN students discuss technology, innovation ECOWAS Court set to resume from extended vacation on Oct. 7 Gov. Zulum inaugurates committee on LG pensioners, gratuities payment Rohr calls up 21 old faces, 4 new faces for Super Eagles’ 2 friendlies At 75, UN remains true to aspirations of founders -Buhari NAF trains 435 specialists to man its platforms Civil servants in C/River protest removal of names from payroll Oyo schools resume, comply with COVID-19 guidelines, staggered session NSE market indicators resume week with 0.01% growth Sokoto: Hisbah arrest 3 over alleged circulation of rape video on social media Akufo-Addo calls for stronger regional approach to quash terrorism in ECOWAS sub-region New Emir of Biu receives appointment letter Use standard road signs, FRSC tells construction firms in Lagos FG sensitises stakeholders on safe school reopening template FG urges states to provide infrastructure for film industry devt. Why FG is commercialising NFC — Lai Mohammed UN at 75: Guterres urges sustenance of world peace Sanwo-Olu vows to fulfil promises to Lagosians Niger governor calls for collaboration on maintenance of state roads LCCI wants urgent gazetting of CAMA 2020 Kano State Fire Service decorates 47 promoted officers Gov. Masari pays N70.99bn pension, gratuities to retirees-HoS Rainstorm damages INEC office roof in Kwara Okowa mourns Emir of Zazzau Bring oil thieves to justice, Gov Wike urges to security agencies Resumption: FRSC tasks school owners, managers on safety, COVID-19 guidelines in bus system Edo poll voter turnout decline worrisome in spite of credible conduct — CDD Bayelsa begins 2021budget process, pledges citizens’ participation World Peace Day: NGO organises arts exhibition to promote peace, peaceful co-existence