Foreign

Update: Death toll rises to 29 in Indonesian floods

Published

on


 


Toll

Sutopo Nugroho, a spokesman for the National Disaster Management Agency, said Tsome 12,000 others have been evacuated from water-logged Bengkulu province with hundreds of buildings, bridges and roads damaged.

“No fewer than four people were injured and over 12,000 displaced after the disasters that followed heavy rain in parts of Bengkulu over the weekend.

“Floods have subsided in some places, but the displaced need tents, blankets and food,’’ Nugroho said.

https://nnn.ng/update-death-toll-rises-to-29-in-indonesian-floods/

COVID-19

COVID-19: Oyo death toll hits 37

Published

on


The Oyo State Government says it has recorded two new COVID-19 related deaths as the death toll in the state hits 37.


The Oyo State COVID-19 Emergency Operation Centre disclosed this on Tuesday via its official Twitter account @covid19oyo_eoc.that it was the latest statistics released by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC)

It, however, disclosed that no new coronavirus cases were recorded in the state on Monday.

“#COVID19 OYO CASE UPDATE 24TH AUGUST, 2020.

“NO NEW CASES CONFIRMED

“Sadly, there has been 2 additional deaths as a result of complications from COVID19.

“Please continue to stay safe.

“#OwnYourAction #OYA #ProtectYourself,” the centre tweeted.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the total number of COVID-19 confirmed cases is 3,050, while the number of active cases in the state is 1,330.

A total number of 1682 coronavirus patients have recovered from the highly contagious virus in the state.

NAN reports that the state continued to hold the third spot for total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country, with Lagos and FCT leading in the first and second positions respectively.

Edited By: Emmanuel Okara (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/covid-19-oyo-death-toll-hits-37/
Continue Reading

Foreign

Update: China’s Hubei to further lower COVID-19 emergency response

Published

on

By


China’s Hubei Province, once hit hard by COVID-19, will lower its novel coronavirus emergency response from level II to level III starting Saturday, a local official announced Friday.


Yang Yunyan, vice governor of Hubei, said COVID-19 prevention and control measures will be adjusted and optimized accordingly.

By the end of Thursday, no new asymptomatic cases had been reported in the provincial capital Wuhan for 12 consecutive days, and other areas of the province had seen no such cases for nine days.

Hubei lowered its COVID-19 emergency response from the top level to the second level on May 2.

(XINHUA)

https://nnn.ng/update-chinas-hubei-to-further-lower-covid-19-emergency-response/
Continue Reading

Foreign

Update: China Focus: South China’s Hainan to create int’l aviation hub to boost free trade port construction

Published

on

By


South China’s island province Hainan is accelerating the construction work of the expansion project of Haikou Meilan International Airport to serve the development of its free trade port.


The second phase of the project in Haikou, capital of Hainan, is expected to be ready for operation in 2020, according to the Haikou Meilan International Airport.

The project is anticipated to better serve Hainan’s development as an international trade hub and a free trade port with a comprehensive modern transportation system.

So far, the construction of the new runway, terminal, and airport transport facilities have all entered the final stage. The key works of the project are expected to be completed by June 30.

Workers are busy with the expansion project of Haikou Meilan International Airport in Haikou, the capital city of south China’s Hainan Province, April 11, 2020. (Xinhua/Guo Cheng)

Workers are busy with the expansion project of Haikou Meilan International Airport in Haikou, the capital city of south China’s Hainan Province, April 11, 2020. (Xinhua/Guo Cheng)

This under-construction second phase of the Haikou Meilan International Airport expansion project includes a 4F-level aircraft movement area, the highest level in China’s civil aviation industry, which will be capable of handling the takeoff and landing of the A380 superjumbo jet.

The new project will help the airport achieve its annual throughput target of 4.2 million international passengers initially, and the number is expected to reach 10 million in the future.

On June 1, Chinese authorities released a master plan for the Hainan free trade port, which aims to build the southern island province into a globally-influential high-level free trade port by the middle of the century.

A free trade port system focusing on trade and investment liberalization and facilitation will be “basically established” in Hainan by 2025 and become “more mature” by 2035, according to the plan jointly issued by the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and the State Council.

Advanced technologies, such as the seismic isolation technique, have been applied in the terminal construction.

The new terminal will offer passengers a unique travel experience through its design and decorations with local culture elements of the island province, such as the traditional architecture and boathouse.

In the new terminal, the Haikou Meilan International Airport will also create the country’s largest tax-free airport shopping area.

The airport is exploring the civil aviation market to create an “aviation economic circle” with more flexible air services, both at home and abroad.

By the end of 2019, the Haikou Meilan International Airport had served 297 air routes, connecting 149 cities at home and abroad.

In 2019, the airport’s annual passenger throughput exceeded 24.2 million, ranking 17th in the country’s total of nearly 240 civil airports.

China’s civil aviation authorities on Tuesday unveiled a plan to trial the “Seventh Freedom of the Air” in the Hainan free-trade port.

The trial means that some international routes in Hainan are now open to foreign airlines to operate here.

The number of Hainan’s international routes reached 103 in 2020, up from five in 2003.

(XINHUA)

https://nnn.ng/update-china-focus-south-chinas-hainan-to-create-intl-aviation-hub-to-boost-free-trade-port-construction/
Continue Reading

Foreign

Update: China to make COVID-19 vaccine global public good: official

Published

on

By


China will make its COVID-19 vaccine a global public good when it is ready for application after successful research and clinical trials, a senior Chinese official said Sunday.


Wang Zhigang, minister of science and technology, said at a press conference in Beijing that international cooperation should be strengthened in vaccine development, clinical trials and application.

Vaccine development should focus on ensuring safety, effectiveness, and accessibility, Wang said.

China is currently developing COVID-19 vaccines in five categories — inactivated vaccines, recombinant protein vaccines, live attenuated influenza vaccines, adenovirus vaccines, and nucleic acid-based vaccines, Wang noted.

To date, four inactivated vaccines and one adenovirus vaccine have been approved for clinical trials, said a white paper titled “Fighting COVID-19: China in Action,” which was released by the State Council Information Office on Sunday.

A staff member displays samples of the COVID-19 inactivated vaccine at Sinovac Biotech Ltd., in Beijing, capital of China, March 16, 2020.

(Xinhua/Zhang Yuwei)

A staff member displays samples of the COVID-19 inactivated vaccine at Sinovac Biotech Ltd., in Beijing, capital of China, March 16, 2020.

(Xinhua/Zhang Yuwei)

While scientists in China and abroad have kept up with mutual developments, China leads the world in the development of certain types of vaccines, the white paper said.

A great deal of international cooperation had been carried out so far on vaccine development, Wang said.

Highlighting the significant role that vaccines had played in human history, Wang said both Chinese scientists and those in other countries are trying to make contributions to building a global community of health for all.

He however noted that the development of vaccines is a rigorous and complex procedure, which faces many uncertainties and may take a long period of time.

Vice Foreign Minister Ma Zhaoxu said at the press conference that China has participated in an international collaboration initiative launched by the World Health Organization to accelerate the development of vaccines and medicines for COVID-19.

China will fulfill its promise to provide the world with a safe, effective, and high-quality vaccine when it is ready, and help make the vaccine accessible to and affordable for developing countries, Ma stressed.

(XINHUA)

https://nnn.ng/update-china-to-make-covid-19-vaccine-global-public-good-official/
Continue Reading

Sweden friendly moved to Russia over virus entry restrictions Ondo poll: Don’t allow crisis to escalate among parties, INEC charges staff Baby factory, child abuse, other similar vices endemic in Enugu State — NAPTIP Court dismisses suit against Zamfara govt over dissolution of LG Chairmen NOTAP calls for more funding for research to accelerate Nigeria’s development Frank de Boer favourite to be named new Netherlands coach Ondo 2020: There is gang up against us — APC spokesman Gov. Lalong condemns murder of traditional leader in Barkin-ladi LGA APC Professionals Forum to partner NAN to achieve FG’s 9-point agenda Gov. Zulum launches 1m trees planting campaign in Borno NPA expects 19 ships with petroleum products, others at Lagos port AFAP pledges to make Lagos food processing hub Bayern Munich, Schalke, Eintracht Frankfurt warned for coronavirus concept breaches Buhari to attend Guinea Bissau National Day Celebration, inaugurate road named after him NAFDAC seals 2 fake drug factories in Kano Group promises to end touting in Abia Magu Probe: group cautions against Malami’s appearance as witness De Bruyne, Lewandowski, Neuer on UEFA player of the year shortlist Mali: Court fixes Friday to hear suit challenging ECOWAS sanctions HP, AUC sign MoU to foster entrepreneurial skills in Africa Gov. Sule approves N300m for payment of gratuities in Nasarawa UK Group supports 100 Nigerian businesses with $425m COVID-19: UNICEF, FG organise stakeholders’ dialogue on safe school resumption  Lagos Govt hands over 51 vehicles, 8 houses to judges NGO tasks farmers on climate smart agricultural practice NDLEA seizes 1,500kgs illicit drugs in Zamfara ASUU strike doing more damage than good to university education- NAS President Greta Thunberg donates sum to aid climate change victims in Africa FEC approves $1.95bn for Kano-Dutse-Katsina-Jibia- Maradi rail line project FEC approves $1.95bn for Kano-Dutse-Katsina-Jibia- Maradi rail line project Delta Primary, Secondary schools resume Sept. 28, says Commissioner World’s workers lost tenth of their income during pandemic – UN Ebonyi road accident: 3 more bodies recovered from river – Police Agriculture: NDE trains 100 youths, women in Jigawa FMBN, labour unions complete 1st phase of affordable housing units NASS Committee laments deplorable state of Lagos-Badagry expressway Makinde flags off N2.5bn Ajoda Housing Estate project Makinde flags off N2.5bn Ajoda Housing Estate project AU calls for development of digital skills for African teachers in post COVID-19  Lagos Govt restates commitment to sanitise drugs distribution Judges’ appointment: You can’t abdicate your duties to Senate, court tells Buhari COVID-19: WHO commends FCTA’s response to fight against virus Urologist urges men to screen for Prostate after age 40 1004 Estate Crisis: CDA Chairman alleges over N5bn maintenance money mismanaged Court declines hearing in Oshiomhole-led NWC dissolution suit during vacation Police arrest man, 35, for allegedly posing as aide to AIG Nasarawa executive, legislature, judiciary enjoy good working relationship -Gov.Sule Ag NYCN chair in Nasarawa State sets up committee to investigate 2 suspended officials New legal year: Lawyers task judiciary on speedy justice delivery Man, 42, docked over alleged N13.23m diesel fraud