UNSMIL Statement on Armed Clashes in Janzour, Tripoli
NNN: The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) expresses its grave concern over the armed clashes that occurred yesterday, May 15, with indiscriminate fire and the alleged use of heavy weapons, in the Janzour area, a densely populated neighborhood in Tripoli. . The current mobilization of forces affiliated with different armed groups creates tensions and increases the risk of clashes that could lead to armed conflict.
Such incidents again highlight the urgent need to address the proliferation and use of weapons outside of state control. The Mission urges all Libyan actors to remain calm on the ground at this critical time in the country.
The Mission also calls on all parties to exercise maximum restraint and use dialogue to resolve contentious issues. UNSMIL reminds all parties of their obligations to ensure the protection of civilians, civilian infrastructure and public peace.
- Ericsson invites participants to ‘Together Apart Hackathon’ to boost innovation in Nigeria
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC deploys 36,000 personnel, 750 patrol vehicles, ambulances
- OPEC Secretary-General, Barkindo dies at 63
- Banditry: Matawalle security agencies of his total support
- Gunmen attack Kuje Custodial Centre in Abuja
- Enugu govt. appoints Ihuoma Eze, acting coordinator of APPEALS World Bank project
- Roadmap for new NNPC hinges on PIA – Okadigbo
- Sallah: Presidency condemn attack on President Buhari’s advance team in Katsina
- My alleged suspension over alleged financial impropriety a huge joke-PDP chairman
- We must appreciate our history to develop as a nation – History Teacher
- Bandits burn down 2 health centres, shut 69 others in Katsina— official
- Police confirm killing of area commander by bandits in Katsina
- UN chief welcomes ECOWAS resolutions on Mali, commends Goodluck Jonathan
- NAOWA gifts food items, medicine, others to widows of fallen soldiers in Imo
- PDP’ll participate in Ebonyi July LG polls- Party Chairman
- Breaking: Sporadic gunshots, bomb blast heard near Kuje Prison
- Gunmen kill police inspector, abduct Chinese national in Kwara
- Gender-based, income inequalities fuelling teen pregnancies in developing countries – UNFPA
- My removal did not follow due process, says Sacked Abia LG boss
- NADCEL: Army Chief, Yahaya, bags chieftaincy title in Imo