Jose Mourinho conceded his former club Manchester United had deserved their 2-1 Premier League victory over his new team Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday and hailed the performance of Marcus Rashford.
Mourinho took over as Spurs manager last month, nearly a year after he was fired by United.
“I think they deserved the victory by their first half. We didn’t start well at all,” said Mourinho, whose side fell behind to a seventh-minute goal from Rashford.
“I think for the first 30 minutes they were the best team, and I think because of that, for this strong 30 minutes where we were not there, and also because of the way we conceded the second goal, I think they deserved to win,” he added.
Mourinho noted that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side, held by Aston Villa and Sheffield United in their last two league games, had delivered their best displays against the top-rated teams.
“United results against the best teams this season have been good. Chelsea, Liverpool, Leicester,” he said.
“For the way they play it is easier for them. They are not afraid to have a defensive approach. It is easier for them against better teams, against teams who want more of the ball,” he added.
The Portuguese, sacked by United after two and a half seasons in charge, had plenty of praise for his former forward Rashford.
“When he plays from the left he is really dangerous and I knew that and gave the players the best information about it.
“His first goal is a typical Rashford goal coming on the inside. Our boys knew that clearly,” he said.
Solskjaer was unsurprisingly even more fulsome in his praise of the 22-year-old England international, who delivered a performance of real quality.
“It’s the best he’s had under me. He was mature, strong against good Premier League players,” the Norwegian said.
“It’s like he was back on the playground or in the back garden. We want them to have fun, there’s nothing dangerous out there – just 75,00 people, wanting to see the best,” he said.
With some questioning Solskjaer after the club’s worst start to a season since 1988-1989, the win which moved United up to sixth, was a major boost.
“The three points are massive for us. We’ve had too many draws this season and given too many points away from winning positions,” Solskjaer said.
“We’ve made decisions that we had to and we’re looking to build this club to be better again and I can’t think short-term when I’m trying to do that,” he said.
“When we turn the corner and win three or four games on the run, they will get that Man United feeling again.”
Edited & Vetted By: Sadiya Hamza
Visa Ban: FG says sanctioning electoral offenders disrespectful to Nigeria’s sovereignty
The Nigerian government has said it considers it disrespectful to the Sovereignty of the country for any outside country to apply punitive measures such as visas restriction on its citizens.
The Nigerian government made this known in a statement issued by Mr Ferdinand Nwonye, Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Friday in Abuja.
The News Agency of Nigeria , reports that this comes as a response to the recent announcement of the United States and the United Kingdom to impose visa restrictions on those who undermine electoral processes.
The Nigerian Government said it was committed to providing all necessary logistic, financial and security support to the electoral process.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs wishes to state that the Nigerian government has taken note of the concerns of some of our partners, especially the United States and UK governments regarding the elections in Edo and Ondo States.
“They have also expressed their intentions to take punitive measures against those who decide to, in what they termed as, undermine democracy.
“It is important to highlight that the responsibility for the conduct of elections in Nigeria solely resides with the Independent National Electoral Commission and State Independent Electoral Commissions.
“The Federal Government, and especially the President, is committed to providing all necessary logistic, financial and security support to the electoral process.
“The President has continually urged all parties and contestants to peacefully conduct themselves before, during and after the elections, and supported patriotic non-governmental initiatives such as the Abdusalami Abubakar-led Peace Committee.
“Furthermore, it should be noted that there are ample provisions in our laws to sanction violators and perpetrators of electoral violence and fraud.
“It would be considered disrespectful of the sovereignty of Nigeria for any outside authority to sit in judgment over the conduct of our citizens and apply punitive measures such as visa restriction, unilaterally.
“While we appreciate the support and encouragement of our international partners such as the EU, we urge our equally valued partners such as the UK and United States to cooperate with our relevant agencies,” the government said.
The government called on the partners to support security agencies by providing them whatever concrete evidence of observed misconduct to allow our laws and regulations to take their course.
The Nigerian government also expressed solidarity with the government and people of the United States as regards their forthcoming election, which it hoped would be free from interference and violence.
Edited By: Abiemwense Moru/Donald Ugwu
WTO leadership race: Okonjo-Iweala, 4 others advance to second round of election
Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria’s candidate aspiring to the position of Director General of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) has won the first run of elections and has àlong with four others advanced to the second phase..
The other contestants, who are from Kenya, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, and the UK, on Friday advanced to the next round of voting after six days of confidential consultation with members.
Amb. David Walker, Chair of the WTO General Council in a briefing on the outcome of the election told the Head of Delegation meeting that the entire organisation’s membership was committed and fully engaged in the consultation process.
“Throughout the six days of consultations it was clear to us that the entire membership is both committed to and fully engaged in this process.
“Members consider all the candidates highly qualified and respected individuals.
“I would also like to pay tribute to the dignified manner in which they, their delegations, and their governments have conducted themselves in this process.
“Their willingness to engage, especially at these challenging times, has been greatly appreciated, and the organisation is in their debt,” Walker said.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that during the consultations, Walker alongside his co-facilitators in the election process, posed to each delegation one question: “What are your preferences?”
Members then submitted four preferences to the “troika” of ambassadors.
The facilitators are Amb. Dacio Castillo, Chair of the Dispute Settlement Body, and Amb. Harald Aspelund, chair of the Trade Policy Review Body.
The consultation process taken by facilitators has been set by guidelines established by the General Council in a 2002 decision.
Based on the guidelines, the key consideration in determining which candidate is best poised to achieve consensus is the “breadth of support” each candidate receives from the members.
Walker said that the second phase of the consultations would begin on Sept. 24 and end on Oct. 6.
“During this time, members will be asked in the confidential consultations to express two preferences.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Sweden’s statements on Navalny potentially breaching chemical weapons convention – Lavrov
Sweden’s vouching for that Russian opposition figure Alexey Navalny had been poisoned with Novichok following its earlier claim of never having dealt with this toxin before is potentially violating the Chemical Weapons Convention, an official said.
The Russian Foreign Minister, Sergey Lavrov, said this on Friday.
Sweden denied having any experience with Novichok after Russia retrieved open sources showing that this military-grade nerve agent was being developed in several Western countries in Europe and beyond.
This took place in 2018 after the EU and several of its individual member states accused Moscow of being behind the poisoning of ex-Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in the UK town of Salisbury.
“There are dozens of patents for the military use of substances of this group. We listed Sweden among the countries where such works were being carried out.
“As you now know, they told us two years ago ‘Don’t you dare mention us on this list as we have never carried out any Novichok-related activities,’” Lavrov said.
Germany, where Navalny was transported for treatment in 2019 and where doctors suggested he could have been poisoned with Novichok, asked France and Sweden to confirm the results of his lab tests.
“And they [Sweden] came up with an official confirmation of the results of the Bundeswehr lab that it was Novichok.
“But if mere two years ago Sweden had no expertise to determine whether or not it was Novichok and now two years later it has such expertise then something must have changed.
“And if what changed has enabled Sweden to acquire competency in detecting the Novichok substances, perhaps, it should be reviewed as a potential grave violation of the Chemical Weapons Convention,” Lavrov added.
On Aug. 20, Navalny was urgently hospitalised in the Russian Siberian city of Omsk after suffering an acute health condition during a domestic flight.
As lab tests found no traces of poisonous substances in the man’s system, Russian doctors opined the deterioration could have been caused by an abrupt drop of glucose in his blood due to metabolic disbalance.
Navalny was transported to Germany’s Berlin-based Charite clinic two days later.
It was not until Sept. 2 that German medics claimed Navalny’s samples contained traces of a Novichok group substance.
The German government claimed it got a confirmation of the diagnosis from France and Sweden and submitted the case materials to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
Berlin refused to make the materials available to Moscow, citing Russia’s membership in the organisation, in spite the requests from Russian investigators, who launched a probe immediately after Navalny’s hospitalization in Omsk.
On Sept. 7, Navalny was reanimated from his medically-induced coma and separated from a ventilator.
Edited By: Fatima Sule/Ali Baba-Inuwa
NAFDAC warn against falsified Proximexa Suspension 125mg/5ml
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has warned against buying and using of falsified Proximexa Suspension 125mg/5ml, with Lot No. C830116 currently in circulation in Nigeria.
The Director-General of NAFDAC, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye made this known in statement issued to the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja on Thursday.
According to Adeyeye, the agency has been informed by Allen and Hanburys (A & H) Pharmaceutical Nigeria Ltd. on the circulation of the drug presently in the country in retail outlets.
She said that the falsified proximexa suspension 125mg/5ml Lot No. C830116 was labeled with fictitious manufactured date with Sept. 2019 and to expire in Sept. 2022.
Adeyeye said that the drug, which was manufactured by Glaxo Operations UK Ltd., was packaged to be genuine, therefore, urged Nigerians to desist from the brand.
According to her, the genuine proximexa suspension 125mg/5ml (Cefuroxime Axetil 125mg/5ml) with Batch No. C830116, manufactured by Glaxo Operations UK Ltd., has its manufacturing date as Sept. 2017, which expired on Sept. 2019.
Adeyeye said that the genuine proximexa suspension 125mg/5ml “is an antibiotic drug used in treating a wide variety of material infections including bronchitis, urinary tract infections and pneumonia.’’
She said that Glaxo Operations UK Ltd. had also confirmed that it did not manufacture the falsified proximexa suspension 125mg/5ml.
She, therefore, implored importers, wholesalers and retailers to desist from illegal importation, distribution and sale of the falsified product.
According to her, surveillance has been strengthened by NAFDAC at all port of entry to prevent illegal importation of the falsified proximexa suspension 125mg/5ml.
Adeyeye said that the agency had also heightened surveillance in the 36 states and FCT to prevent distribution and sale of the said drug.
Edited By: Dianabasi Effiong/Grace Yussuf