Foreign

United States deeply concerned by attack on WFP convoy in South Sudan

Published

on

The United States says it is “deeply concerned” by Monday’s attack on a World Food Programme (WFP) delivering food aid in South Sudan.

The government’s reaction came in a statement by spokesperson of the Department of State, Ms Morgan Ortagus, on Friday.

WFP said the attack occurred while the convoy of boats was delivering food aid to hundreds of thousands of people displaced by a recent flooding in the country’s north.

The UN said the attack left one crew member missing, presumed dead, and three aid workers with gunshot wounds.

Ortagus said “humanitarian aid workers in South Sudan and throughout the region work under extremely challenging conditions to assist some of the world’s most vulnerable men, women and children”.

“This is the second attack on humanitarian cargo vessels in this area in the past two months. 

“We call on the Government of South Sudan to investigate this attack fully and expeditiously.

“It should provide the security necessary to ensure the safety of aid workers who are delivering critical life-saving services and assistance,” she said.

The United States, according to the spokesperson, is the largest humanitarian assistance provider to the people of South Sudan.

She said the country provided nearly 907 million dollars (N346 billion) in humanitarian aid to South Sudan in 2020 through the UN and nongovernmental organisation partners.  

“We continue to stand with the South Sudanese people to help address their ongoing humanitarian needs and demonstrate the long-term commitment of the United States Government and international community to South Sudan’s stability,” she added.

Earlier on Friday, the WFP was awarded the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts at combating hunger and improving conditions for peace in conflict areas.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
Source: NAN

Salzburg let Lokomotiv Moscow off the hook in 2-2 draw Manchester City stage comeback for 3-1 win over FC Porto Liverpool ride luck as own goal secures win at Ajax Coman dazzles in Bayern Munich’s 4-0 demolition of Atletico Madrid Substitute Hassan’s late goal gives Olympiakos 1-0 win over Marseille Lukaku rescues late draw for hosts Inter Milan against Borussia Moenchengladbach Zapata inspires Atalanta to comfortable win at Midtjylland #EndSARS protest: Sheathe your swords, NRM advises  Nigerian youths Telecoms operators apologise for network outage Hoodlums vandalise FRSC Lagos office — Sector Commander Transparency, accountability, thrust of my administration- Gov. Ugwuanyi NGO urges security agencies to respect fundamental human rights of Nigerians Presbyterian Church wants police brutality, extrajudicial killings to stop EndSARS: Gov. Diri constitutes Judicial Panel, heads Security and Rights’ Committee Real Madrid left shellshocked by depleted Shakhtar Oriental Hotel condemns attack on facilities #EndSARS: We’ll not allow protest in Lagos degenerate to anarchy – Police Arik Air extends flight cancellation #EndSARS: National Peace Committee calls for calm EndSARS: Centre urges protesters to exercise calm, caution #EndSARS Disturbances: Umahi apologises, imposes 24-hour curfew in Ebonyi Psychiatrist advises against stigmatisation of mental health patient Impersonation: Anambra community apologises to AIG over cabinet member’s alleged conduct APC Says PDP fueling #EndSARS Protests via unguarded assertions in social media EndSARS: FCT minister urges stakeholders to form united front EndSARS: ECOWAS calls for dialogue to end unrest EndSARS: Sultan directs Imams to dedicate Friday sermon to calm followers Governance not only Nigeria’s problem, says ex-Gov. Attah Insecurity: NAF introduces special training for personnel EndSARS: Ikpeazu appeals to Abia youths to sheath their sword EndSARS protest being manipulated to cause anarchy, says Northern group  Curfew: NECO reschedules Oct. 22, 23, 24 examinations till Nov. NDDC boss shuns Reps committee investigating misappropriation of funds Kaduna begins close camping for Handballers Dialogue key to achieving peace, says IPCR Director General Labour unions decry killing of innocent protesters in Lagos ECOWAS, ILO review new regional plan to end child labor, seek more commitments #EndSARS: Oyigbo Police Area Command burnt in Rivers EndSARS: Gov. Lalong monitors compliance with curfew Stop killing our youths, Not-Too-Young-To-Run movement cries out  NDDC: Youth leader calls for collaboration to develop region Army, Tetfund collaborate on development, research innovations #EndSARS : Police sues for calm as suspected hoodlums set 2 stations ablaze in Imo Protests: Red Cross urges unhindered access to victims of ‘ENDSARS’ protests Military donates boreholes to 5 communities in Nasarawa State Experts task women on cervical cancer screening Nasarawa Govt. begins payment of salaries of newly-employed teachers October 2,000 automobile mechanics to get Borno Govt. support #EndSARS:  Group urges President Buhari to investigate killing of Lagos protesters Ugwuanyi imposes 24-hr curfew on major towns in Enugu as EndSARS protests turn violent