Foreign

UNICEF airlifts new batch of medical supplies to Yemen’s Aden

Published

on



“A plane loaded with medical supplies provided by the UNICEF landed at Aden’s International Airport,” a local government official said on condition of anonymity.

“The medical supplies are very essential to help the medical teams and curb the spread of coronavirus in Aden as well as other neighboring southern provinces,” the source said.

The UNICEF confirmed in a brief statement that it provided a new batch of medical supplies including personal protective equipment items to Aden.

Ishraq Subay, official spokesman of Yemen’s National Emergency Committee, along with other government health officials received the new batch of medical supplies at Aden’s airport.

“We received around 16 tons of essential medicines as well as protection and safety supplies all provided by the UNICEF to confront the coronavirus in the government-controlled provinces,” Ishraq said.

She said that the new batch of medical supplies came after great efforts exerted by the country’s government represented by Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik.

The Yemeni official called on the World Health Organization and other organizations to do their duties through providing more support for the Yemeni health sector to deal with the pandemic.

Last week, Yemen’s health authorities controlled by the Houthi militia confirmed the arrival of a medical shipment dispatched by the UNICEF.

On Friday, the total number of COVID-19 cases in Yemen’s government-controlled provinces increased to 469 with 111 deaths and 23 recoveries since the outbreak of the deadly respiratory disease on April 10.

The Yemeni government called on donors and relevant international humanitarian organizations to provide support to help contain the pandemic.

Yemen has been mired in a civil war since late 2014, when the Iran-backed Houthi group seized control of much of the country’s north and forced the internationally-recognized government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi out of Sanaa.

(XINHUA)

https://nnn.ng/unicef-airlifts-new-batch-of-medical-supplies-to-yemens-aden/

Foreign

United States initiates ‘snapback’ process to reimpose sanctions on Iran – Pompeo

Published

on


The United States has initiated the so-called snapback process to restore almost all previously lifted UN sanctions against Iran, United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement on Saturday.


“Today, the United States welcomes the return of virtually all previously terminated UN sanctions on the Islamic Republic of Iran, the world’s leading state sponsor of terror and anti-Semitism,” Pompeo said.

He said the snapback of previously terminated UN sanctions became effective at 8 pm Washington time (0000 GMT).

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif rejected the United States move, saying that the snapback mechanism and reimposed sanctions were invalid.

“This step is not supported by the UN Security Council because the United States is no longer in the nuclear agreement and accordingly no longer plays a role in UN resolution 2231,” Zarif said referring to the resolution in which the UNSC backed the Iran nuclear deal signed in Vienna in 2015.

The move by Washington was merely a “propaganda trick” ahead of the United States election, Zarif said on Iranian state television.

Washington’s plans to reimpose international sanctions on Iran have been met with overwhelming opposition from other countries.

Other members of the UN Security Council (UNSC), including key United States allies who are part of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, have rejected Washington’s move and have vowed to ignore it.

Under the nuclear deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), Tehran limited its nuclear activities in return for sanctions relief.

“Sanctions are being re-imposed on Iran pursuant to the snapback process under UN Security Council resolution (UNSCR) 2231. On August 20, the United States notified the President of the Security Council of Iran’s significant non-performance of its JCPOA commitments,” Pompeo said in the Saturday statement.

“Virtually all @UN sanctions have returned on Iran, the leading state sponsor of terrorism and anti-Semitism.

“This includes a permanent extension of the arms embargo. This is great news for peace in the region!” Pompeo added on Twitter.

He later added that Washington would soon “announce a range of additional measures to strengthen enforcement of @UN sanctions on Iran.”

“Our maximum pressure campaign on the Iranian regime will continue until it stops spreading chaos, violence, and bloodshed,” he said.

United States special representative for Iran and Venezuela Elliott Abrams had already signalled Washington’s determination to reimpose sanctions on Tehran earlier this week.

The United States launched a formal bid in August to revive the UN sanctions under the “snapback” mechanism included in the Iran deal.

Those sanctions include the indefinite extension of an arms embargo that would otherwise expire in October.

But few countries believe Washington’s move is legal, as United States President Donald Trump unilaterally exited the JCPOA in 2018.

Washington said it would provide more information this weekend and next week on how the United States intended to enforce the global sanctions.

“In the coming days, the United States will announce a range of additional measures to strengthen implementation of UN sanctions and hold violators accountable,” Pompeo said in Saturday’s statement.

“Our maximum pressure campaign on the Iranian regime will continue until Iran reaches a comprehensive agreement with us to rein in its proliferation threats and stops spreading chaos, violence, and bloodshed,” Pompeo asserted.

Trump is likely to address Iran in his speech next week to the UN General Assembly’s largely online meeting of world leaders.

The stand-off between the United States and other member states over the issue threatens a diplomatic crisis at the world body.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/united-states-initiates-snapback-process-to-reimpose-sanctions-on-iran-pompeo/
Continue Reading

Foreign

NIDO-Ghana plans webinar to mark Nigeria’s 60th independence anniversary

Published

on


The Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation (NIDO), Ghana chapter, said on Saturday that it would organise a webinar as part of events to celebrate Nigeria’s sixtieth independence anniversary.


Mr Elija Iposu, Public Relations Officer of NIDO-Ghana, disclosed this in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria .

Iposu said the event would be organised by NIDO-Ghana in collaboration with a Ghana-based private firm, Diplomats Extra and Milestone Communications.

According to him, the webinar, which will hold on Oct. 2, is a virtual ceremony with Zoom ID: 742450910 and the title: ’60 years of Ghana-Nigeria diplomacy’.

Prof. Bola Akinterinwa, former Director-General Institute of International Affairs, and Amb. Bulus Lolo, former Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nigeria are among high-ranking personalities expected to participate in the event.

Some other expected guests are Mr Oluwaseyi Adeyemi, Publisher, Inside Watch Africa Magazine, Mr Emmanuel Bombande, UN Senior Mediation Advisor, Prof. Baflour Agyeman-Duah, former UN Special Governance Advisor and Affail Monney, President Ghana Journalists Association.

NAN reports that  President Muhammadu Buhari on Sept. 16, unveiled the logo and theme for the 60th independence anniversary celebration.

He said that the celebration would be observed for a whole year, to end on Sept. 30, 2021 and would be muted due to the coronavirus pandemic.

FEA/

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/nido-ghana-plans-webinar-to-mark-nigerias-60th-independence-anniversary/
Continue Reading

COVID-19

COVID-19: Lagos govt reopens cinemas, gyms

Published

on


The Lagos State Government on Saturday permitted the reopening of cinemas and gyms, with a maximum of 33 per cent occupancy.


Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu said this during the 18th update on the management of coronavirus in the state.

Sanwo-Olu said that in October, the state government would announce the decisions regarding the reopening of other sectors of the economy.

”Dear Lagosians, henceforth, cinemas and gyms are permitted to reopen as soon as possible, with a maximum of 33 per cent occupancy.

”This means that there must be a minimum of two empty seats between occupied seats; and in the case of gyms, there must be constant disinfection of machines and equipment throughout the course of the day.

”Next month, October, we will announce the decisions regarding the reopening of other sectors of the economy: night-clubs, bars, event centres, spas, public parks and so on.

”For now, these will continue to remain closed, until fixed plans for reopening are announced in October 2020,” he said.

Accordings to him, places of worship are also permitted, while the mosques to resume their five times a day prayers; the churches are permitted to resume their mid-week services.

”We must not forget that the coronavirus pandemic is still very much with us, and we must therefore strive to prioritise the safety of all our children, teachers, parents, and the entire society.

”All of these resumption guidelines and protocols must be strictly adhered to by the various stakeholders,” he said.

Sanwo-Olu said that the state government was committed to continuing the maintenance of a balance between the safety of lives and the sustenance of livelihoods.

He said that the state would continue to make adjustments as required, but the gradual resumption of social, educational and economic activities must never be taken as an excuse to let down the guard against the pandemic.

According to him, some parts of the world are seeing a resurgence of infections, and rising possibilities of the kind of hard lockdowns being experienced a few months ago.

”Let me make it clear that if we do not continue to maintain our guard, and sustain the adherence to all required protocols and guidelines, we will find ourselves in a situation where fresh lockdowns are inevitable.

”The only way to avoid this is to continue to act responsibly: maintain the required levels of hygiene, through regular handwashing and use of sanitisers, wear masks in all public places, avoid non-essential public gatherings, and maintain the prescribed levels of physical distancing at all times,” Sanwo-Olu said.

Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Wale Ojetimi
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/covid-19-lagos-govt-reopens-cinemas-gyms/
Continue Reading

Sport

Whirlwind Bayern Munich dismantle Schalke 8-0 in season opener

Published

on


Treble winners Bayern Munich crushed Schalke 04 8-0 with a hat-trick from Serge Gnabry and a superb debut from Leroy Sane on Friday.


It was a sensational start to the new Bundesliga season and the win sent an ominous warning to potential challengers.

Also, it was the biggest opening win in Bundesliga history.

Bayern Munich showed they had lost none of the sharpness which helped them to lift the UEFA Champions League trophy less than a month ago in dominant fashion.

Gnabry grabbed his first goal for the hosts with a fine turn and shot in the fourth minute in what turned out to be a one-sided affair.

It stretched Bayern Munich’s unbeaten run to 31 games this year, having now won the last 22 matches in a row.

Schalke 04, without a league win in 17 consecutive matches since January, were helpless against Bayern Munich’s lightning-quick game.

Leon Goretzka found plenty of space to drive a low shot past goalkeeper Ralf Faehrmann in the 19th minute.

“You can see that the team was already strong last season,” said Sane, who joined from Manchester City. “The team is still hungry in spite of winning the treble last season and to have such a start is outstanding.”

Bayern Munich finished their season in August when they added the Champions League to their Bundesliga and German Cup titles and then had only a short preparation for the new season.

Last season’s top goalscorer Robert Lewandowski found the net with a 31st minute penalty kick to become the first player to score in 10 successive appearances against the same Bundesliga opponents.

Gnabry then scored twice from Sane’s assists in the 47th and 59th before Thomas Mueller made it half a dozen after Lewandowski set him up with an impressive rabona kick.

Sane then capped his superb Bayern Munich debut with a fine finish from a counter attack in an empty Allianz Arena.

This was after the city had banned spectators due to rising coronavirus infection numbers in the region.

A little later substitute Jamal Musiala drilled in goal number eight to become the youngest ever Bayern Munich goalscorer in the league at 17 years old.

The result piled more pressure on already-embattled Schalke 04 coach David Wagner, who has been under intense scrutiny during their winless run this year.

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Source: NAN

 

 

https://nnn.ng/whirlwind-bayern-munich-dismantle-schalke-8-0-in-season-opener/
Continue Reading

Edo election: Group lauds INEC on credible poll, says its victory for democracy Son and Kane combination leads Tottenham Hotspur’s rout of Southampton Flood: Reptiles invade homes in Anambra community NIRSAL, Coy unveil insurance product for crop indemnity KDSG announces passage of Shehu Idris, the Emir of Zazzau FLASH: Gov. Obaseki wins 2nd term Buhari greets Sen Oluremi Tinibu at 60, salutes her courage, tenacity Commandant urges NAFRC trainees, retirees to be mindful of swindlers COVID-19: Ebonyi Govt. lifts restrictions on weddings, others NDE trains 100 youths on sustainable agriculture, marketing strategies   Land dispute stalls Aviation College plan to expand runway NCAT Zaria to open additional schools for pilots, aviation security personnel – Rector Successor: NGO urges Gov. Ugwuanyi to consult Enugu people Good work without faith is philanthropy – Bishop Martins AMDF develops database of press freedom violations in Africa COVID-19 palliatives: LGA distributes food items to 1,690 households in Kebbi Okiro urges peaceful coexistence among Ex-Niger Delta agitators, Nigerians Emir of Zazzau, Shehu Idris dies at 84 Why FG is investing massively in railways, seaports — Amaechi FCTA moves to reposition fire service to boost service delivery Kaduna IRS seals 40 bet9ja offices, 8 others in 7 days Schools reopening: Gov. Ganduje lauds FG’s level of preparation Northern states may reopen schools before Oct. 30 – commissioners Edo poll: INEC declares additional results from 3 LGs It’s unfair to discuss 2023 election now, opposition tells Enugu PDP Edo Polls: Foundation commends security personnel Edo election: INEC begins release of results FCTA, NAPTIP sign MoU on women rehabilitation centre 8 burnt to death in Lagos-Ibadan expressway accident  Newborn safely delivered under Ajah bridge NCDC records 189 new COVID-19 cases, total now 57,145 Nadal stunned by Schwartzman in Italian Open quarter-finals, Djokovic survives Koepfer United States initiates ‘snapback’ process to reimpose sanctions on Iran – Pompeo NIDO-Ghana plans webinar to mark Nigeria’s 60th independence anniversary Barca president Bartomeu says he won’t go to war anymore with Messi Edo election: Why collation is delayed — INEC Nketiah’s late strike gives Arsenal 2-1 win over West Ham United Ekiti Deputy Gov eulogises late theatre icon, Jimoh Aliu Gov Bagudu, stakeholders meet over flood, insecurity, vow to surmount challenges El-Rufai to participate in maiden Kaduna Marathon on Nov. 21 Ondo election: Agboola Ajayi best candidate for good governance — Mimiko Edo 2020: Group commends INEC on equal access for PWDs Banditry: Lawmaker urges FG to deploy more security to Sokoto Ebonyi police confirm alleged murder of motorcyclist by suspected lunatic COVID-19: Lagos govt reopens cinemas, gyms Edo Poll: PDP alleges move to replace election results in Edo North Akaeze-Ukwu tragedy: Buhari condoles with govt, people of Ebonyi VAR drama as Zaha double earns Crystal Palace shock 3-1 win at Manchester United Sultan turbans 15 District Heads in Sokoto Nigerians gifted with exceptional confidence, resilience,  mental acuity – Osinbajo