The Special Envoy of the United Nations Secretary-General and Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Ján Kubiš concluded his first visit to the African Union in Addis Ababa and discussions on ways to strengthen UN-AU cooperation in support of Libya and the region.
During his visit, Special Envoy Kubiš met the African Union Commissioner for Political Affairs, Peace and Security, Ambassador Bankole Adeoye. They agreed to elevate and strengthen the partnership, coordination and cooperation between the United Nations and the African Union for the benefit of the Libyan people and lasting peace, security and stability in the country and the region. They discussed ways to intensify UN-AU cooperation in many areas, in particular to help Libya pursue national reconciliation and social cohesion, and the holding of national elections on December 24, 2021, to combat the illicit movements of arms and armed groups.
The Special Envoy also met with the AU Commissioner for Social Affairs, Ms. Amira El Fadil. The meeting addressed a range of issues, with a focus on migration and refugee issues, respect for their rights and international humanitarian law and the revitalization of the joint tripartite working group, which brings together the AU, the European Union (EU) and the UN, including the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
The Special Envoy expressed his gratitude for the AU’s continued and strong and productive engagement in the UN-facilitated Libyan dialogue under the Berlin Process, and for the AU’s crucial role in assisting the Libya to achieve lasting peace, security and stability.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yOH
- FROM THE FIELD: Ugandan conflict survivor helps communities find ‘ways forward’
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (May 5, 2021)
- Day of the Midwife: Invest in midwives to save more lives — UNFPA
- Liquid Telecom unveils new identity, Liquid Intelligent Technologies in Botswana as it establishes itself as the digital services partner of choice for African businesses
- Buhari salutes ex-NSC DG Al-Hassan Yakmut at 60
- Chelsea whip Real Madrid to reach Champions League final
- Video press release: Weekly press briefing on the coronavirus epidemic
- Enugu State inaugurates board for universal health coverage
- Video Press Release: WHO Africa COVID-19 Online Briefing