Two tries from Steff Evans and the unerring boot of Sam Costelow
Scarlets secure crucial win over Springbok-laden Sharks
Cardiff and Ospreys win puts pressure on Scarlets
After both Cardiff and Ospreys won this weekend, Dwayne Peel’s side knew that they needed a victory to keep up their hopes of winning the Welsh Shield and securing Champions Cup rugby in the process.
Scarlets face tough challenge from Springbok-laden Sharks
That was never going to be easy though, with the Sharks rocking up to Llanelli with a side filled with Springboks.
Impressive performance from Scarlets
But scores in either half from winger Evans, as well as a 22-point haul from Costelow, produced easily their best result of the season at a time when they needed it most.
The Scarlets started strongly, with Johnny Williams – making his first start since October – continually proving difficult for the Sharks’ midfield to stop. The Welsh centre has been unfortunate with injuries, but he was the heartbeat of this victory – with a recall to Warren Gatland’s side on the cards after this performance.
Equally superlative were Sam Lousi and captain Josh Macleod. Peel’s side perhaps should have opened the scoring earlier, with wing Evans nearly finishing a breakaway from near his own line five minutes into the match.
Traditional Scarlets’ fashion leads to opening score
But when their opening score did come, it did so in traditional Scarlets’ fashion. Getting outside the Sharks defence to break from their own half off first-phase, fly-half Costelow took offload back from Sam Lousi before floating a pass out to Vaea Fifita.
The second-row marched into the space, before giving the try-scoring pass back inside for Evans to cross after 10 minutes.
Scarlets maintain lead despite Sharks’ pressure
Williams’ strong carrying continued to provide the platform, with two huge busts from scrums milking penalties that Costelow stroked over to build a 13-point lead.
However, the tide turned somewhat as the Scarlets’ discipline began to falter. A slew of penalties conceded across their back-row kept the Sharks in striking distance.
Eventually, that pressure told – with Springboks captain Siya Kolisi powering over from a close-range driving maul just before the half-hour mark.
From there, the rest of the first-half largely consisted of the Scarlets somehow managing to keep the South African outfit at bay, with Makazole Mapimpi having a try ruled out for double movement.
Evans and Costelow secure crucial win for Scarlets
The Sharks didn’t wait long to trouble the scorers in the second-half, with Sharks fly-half Curwin Bosch taking advantage of a scrum penalty a couple of minutes after the restart to make it a three-point game.
But some more quickfire points from Evans and Costelow helped the Scarlets restore a healthy lead.
First, Evans didn’t give up on Costelow’s high kick, reading the bounce and hacking it forward to score.
Costelow converted, then added a couple of penalties to push the lead to 16 points.
Sharks’ power in the pack provides opportunities
However, the Sharks’ power in the pack, particularly the scrum and lineout, continued to provide them with opportunities.
Just before the hour-mark, another driving maul earned from Scarlets infringements saw another Springbok force his way over – this time, hooker Bongi Mbonambi getting over to reduce the deficit.
A penalty from Bosch shortly after from just inside his own half once again reduced the gap to just one score, setting up a nervy finish for those at Parc y Scarlets.
A Costelow penalty with eight minutes to go eased those nerves, before another one four minutes later – his final act in the match – made sure of a mightily impressive victory.
- Tiger Shark Kills Russian Man Swimming in Red Sea
- Casper Ruud to Face Novak Djokovic in 2023 French Open Final
- Blue Jays Designate Anthony Bass for Assignment After Sharing Anti-LGBTQ2S+ Video
- Toronto Blue Jays designated pitcher Anthony Bass following anti-LGBTQIA+ controversy
- Sport: Previewing Manchester City vs Inter Milan in the Champions League
- Niall Horan Celebrates Release of Third Solo Album on TODAY Show Plaza
- Breaking Bad Actor Mike Batayeh Dies at 52
- Actor and Comedian Mike Batayeh, Known for “Breaking Bad” Role, Dies at 52
- Brighton & Hove Albion’s Moisés Caicedo Appreciated by Several Clubs
- Enugu Governor Meets with Tinubu, Discusses Partnership with Federal Government and Nnamdi Kanu’s Release
- Arsenal and Chelsea Compete for Moises Caicedo Amid Worries of Teammate
- BREAKING: President Bola Tinubu Suspends CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele
- Real Madrid sign left-back Fran Garcia from Rayo Vallecano
- Nigerian Afrobeats Singer Davido Excited at the Possibility of Winning Grammy
- Understanding Indictments: What You Need to Know
- Blue Jays Pitcher Demoted for Sharing Anti-LGBTQ2S+ Video
- Dalpe’s Dream Come True: Playing for the Stanley Cup in His 14th NHL Season
- New York City’s Air Quality More than 56 Times Over WHO Safety Limit, Ranking as World’s Most Polluted
- Parklife Travel: Everything You Need to Know
- 16-Year-Old Arrested After Serious Assault at Private School in Tiverton
- Weapons Found after Assault at UK Private School Leaves Two Students Hospitalized
- Newcastle United confirms £25m per season deal with Saudi events company Sela
- Where to Find and How to Use the Cybertron Cannon in Fortnite
- Novak Djokovic beats Carlos Alcaraz to reach French Open Final
- Joran van der Sloot Pleads Not Guilty to Attempting to Extort Money from Natalee Holloway’s Mother
- The Unlikely Influences Behind “Transformers: Rise of the Beasts”
- Former President Donald Trump Indicted on 37 Felony Counts of Willful Retention of Classified Records
- Fortnite Season 7 Brings New Challenges and Weapons
- Mortal Kombat 1 gameplay reveal shows new features and teases story details
- Mortal Kombat 1: Release Date and Pre-Order Details
- Former President Trump to be Tried by Judge He Appointed
- Anthony Mackie stars in teaser trailer for “Twisted Metal” adaptation
- Summer Game Fest Unveils Exciting New Games for Fans Everywhere
- Manchester City and Inter to meet in UEFA Champions League Final
- Manchester City looks to complete treble against Inter Milan in UEFA Champions League Final
- Niall Horan Shares the Meaning Behind ‘You Could Start a Cult’ Lyrics
- The Show: Niall Horan’s Best Album to Date
- Bill Murray and Kelis: The Latest Unlikely Celebrity Couple
- Djokovic Reaches 23rd Grand Slam Final
- Former Governor of Ebonyi State Predicts Major Role for El-Rufai in Tinubu’s Administration
- Burna Boy Receives Multiple Nominations at Bet Awards 2021
- Reports of Sweden Introducing Sexual Intercourse as a Registered Sport a Hoax
- Novak Djokovic Reaches French Open Final as Opponent Hobbled by Cramp
- Fast X: Part 2 to Release on April 4, 2025
- Inter Milan’s Simone Inzaghi: The Cup Specialist
- Unseeded Karolina Muchova Reaches French Open Final After Comeback Against Sabalenka
- B.C. Lions beat Calgary Stampeders in CFL season opener
- Manchester City vs. Inter Milan: All You Need to Know Ahead of the Champions League Final
- Fortnite Season 3 Chapter 4 Introduces Transformers Collab
- Unlockable Skins in Fortnite Chapter 4 Season 3 Battle Pass
- Google Honors Willi Ninja with a Google Doodle
- Young hockey player uses pandemic lockdown to his advantage
- French President Macron Visits Annecy Knife Attack Victims
- Air Quality Improves on US East Coast as Wildfire Smoke Drifts South
- Till Lindemann Law Firm Responds to Sexual Misconduct Allegations
- Rammstein lead singer Till Lindemann accused of sexual misconduct
- Newcastle United Confirms Partnership with Sela for Multi-Year Sponsorship
- Newcastle United announces front-of-shirt partnership with Sela
- Former Conservative minister Nadine Dorries to stand down as MP
- Belmont Park to Resume Racing After Improved Air Quality Conditions
- 2023 Belmont Stakes Odds: Expert handicapper shares top picks and bets
- How ‘Never Have I Ever’ Nails Realistic College Admissions Drama
- Summer Game Fest 2023: Biggest Announcements and Best Trailers
- Lexus Unveils Redesigned Off-Roading SUV, the GX 2024
- Pat Robertson, televangelist who united Evangelical Christians with Republican Party, dies at 93
- Kelis Puts Family First on Vacation Amid Rumored Romance with Bill Murray
- Novak Djokovic Advances to French Open Final
- Uruguay and Italy to Compete in FIFA U20 World Cup Final
- Small Doctor Says Mr Eazi Is The Wealthiest Person He Has Encountered In The Industry
- “Transformers: Rise of the Beasts” Premieres in London
- The Autobots Are Back! “Transformers: Rise of the Beasts” Battles at the Box Office
- Real Madrid Announces the Signing of Fran García for the Next Four Seasons
- Real Madrid sign Fran Garcia as first signing of the summer
- Erling Haaland Feels Pressure to Deliver Champions League for Manchester City
- sport: Liverpool’s signing of Alexis Mac Allister reflects club’s focus on resilience and versatility
- Vin Diesel Confirms Release Date of Fast X Part 2
- Vin Diesel Announces Release Date for Fast & Furious 11: Part 2
- Vernon Adams and Dominique Rhymes lead B.C. Lions to win over Calgary Stampeders in CFL season opener
- Novak Djokovic Takes on Carlos Alcaraz in French Open Semi-Finals
- David Moyes to Discuss West Ham’s Future with Chairman After Europa Conference League Win
- El Niño Occurring in Pacific Ocean Could Bring Record Heat in 2024
- Dua Lipa’s Best Deep Cuts Worth a Listen
- Liverpool ECHO Launches WhatsApp Group for LFC Fans
- Dua Lipa Debuts Versace Collection at Cannes Film Festival
- Liverpool in talks to sign Nice midfielder Marcus Thuram
- Sam Fender to Play Two Homecoming Shows at Newcastle’s United Stadium
- Suspension of Shadow Foreign Minister Bambos Charalambous as a Labour MP
- Denver Broncos Sign Frank Clark to One-Year Deal Following Baron Browning’s Knee Surgery
- Celebrating National Best Friends Day and the Importance of Friendship
- The New York Yankees Face off against the Chicago White Sox at Yankee Stadium
- Zion Williamson Accused of Being a Sex Addict by Another Woman
- Swedish Sports Confederation Debunks Viral Claim That Sex Is Now a Sport
- Rapper Yung6ix Says He, Wizkid and Olamide Hit Stardom Before Davido
- CFL players mandated to wear Guardian Caps in training camp
- French knife attack leaves two toddlers injured, nation pays tribute to hero
- Arnold Schwarzenegger recalls his reaction to the flop of “Last Action Hero”
- FIH organizes “National Associations summit” to develop the future of hockey
- Taurine Deficiency May Be a Driver of Aging, According to a New Study
- Remembering Willi Ninja: The Godfather of Voguing
- The Profile of Tom Willander: A Strong Two-Way Defenseman Prospect