Built by the Byzantines, it was the largest church in Christendom from the 6th century for nearly a millennium, where emperors were crowned.
It was converted into a mosque following the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople, modern-day Istanbul, in 1453 led by Sultan Mehmet II (the Conqueror).
Four minarets were added to the structure.
Its status was changed to a museum after a 1934 decree.
The court’s decision could come on Thursday or within 15 days, state news agency Anadolu reported.
Religious hardliners have long demanded that the UNESCO World Heritage Site be made a mosque again.
Before elections last year, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke of the possibility of naming it a mosque.
It is a divisive issue in Turkey, where many view Hagia Sophia’s current status as emblematic of the country’s secular constitution.
Opposition parties see the revival of the debate as Erdogan’s way of rallying his Islamic conservative base while distracting from an economic crisis and the coronavirus pandemic.
The petition being heard in the Council of State was brought by a little-known association, whose 75-year-old head, Ismail Kandemir, has been fighting for 26 years for the change.
He recently told Kanal7 TV that he has “dedicated his life” for Hagia Sophia to be reopened for Islamic prayers.
Kandemir is seeking an annulment of the decree by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of the modern Turkish republic, which changed the status of the monument to a museum.
The retired teacher alleged that Ataturk’s signature on the decree was fake.
He recalled praying secretly at the Hagia Sophia in his 20s and is now determined to do so “freely”.
In May, the Koran’s al-Fath sura resounded from the monument to commemorate the 567th anniversary of the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople.
Erdogan joined the event via videoconference.
Towering over Istanbul’s skyline, its breath-taking domes seemingly afloat, Hagia Sophia is a cultural landmark for both Christians and Muslims and is visited by millions of tourists each year.
The Istanbul governor’s office said there were 3.7 million visitors in 2019 alone.
Also part of the UNESCO heritage listing from 1985 is the historic Blue Mosque, which is located across the square from Hagia Sophia.
It is open to both tourists and worshippers.
“The conversion of Hagia Sophia into a mosque will disappoint millions of Christians around the world and Hagia Sophia, which, due to its sacredness, is a vital centre where East is embraced with the West, will fracture these two worlds,’’ said Patriarch Bartholomew I, the spiritual leader of the Orthodox Christian Church, in Istanbul on Tuesday.
In an open letter on Wednesday, scores of Byzantine and Ottoman scholars from across the world appealed: “Hagia Sophia is too beautiful a monument and too precious a historical document to serve as a pawn in regional politics’’.
They noted that there has been a room for Islamic prayer within the complex since 1991, and a full-time Imam since 2016.
“Thus, in a certain sense, Hagia Sophia is currently functioning as both a museum and a mosque,’’ they wrote.
Any change in status could inflame tensions with Greece, as Athens condemns the use of the former seat of the Greek Orthodox Church for religious purposes.
Turkey has derided Greece, saying Athens is the only European capital without a mosque.
The United States urged Turkey to maintain the site as a museum.
Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, said on Wednesday that a change in status would diminish the legacy of the monument “and its unsurpassed ability … to serve humanity as a much-needed bridge between those of differing faith traditions and cultures’’.
Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman, Hami Aksoy, responded that Hagia Sophia “like all cultural assets on our land, is the property of Turkey’’.
Turkish media have reported that Islamic prayers could be held there on July 15, the fourth anniversary of a failed coup.
Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3n9r
- Flood: Okowa appeals to Warri/Effurun residents for patience
- Row over plans for new royal yacht in Britain
- European shares set to follow Wall Street higher on Tuesday
- Troops arrest suspected bandit in possession of military kits – Army
- Ogun Govt. identifies data as tool for proper health planning
- Philippine leader threatens jail for those who refuse vaccine jabs
- Re-appointment of Guterres, a vote of confidence – UN deputy chief
- Brazil: Officer convicted for crimes under military dictatorship
- Philippines’ Duterte lashes out at ICC over drug war probe
- Almost 11,000 migrants waiting for visas to join family in Germany
- Grave violations against children in conflict remain ‘alarmingly high’- UN
- Insurgency: Zulum urges resumption of Naval operations in Baga
- NYSC organises free medical outreach for Lagos residents
- NYSC medical outreach benefits 2m Nigerians — DG
- Chadian activist seeks Nigeria’s support to restore peace in his country
- Osinbajo rallies youths on active engagement in politics
- LASG gives 3-day ultimatum to property owners encroaching on canals
- Patricide: We’ll rely on advice from DPP – Police
- We are supporting states to intensify cholera outbreak response – NCDC By Abujah Racheal
- Widow of slain Oyo journalist wants killers brought to justice
- Buhari appoints Ekpungu EFCC Secretary, names board members
- Gunmen kill ATM customer in Ibadan
- Makinde inaugurates Oyo Security Network board, Amotekun corps
- Nigerian army dismisses video of soldiers mutilating suspect
- Anambra 2021: PDP NWC meets stakeholders, sues for unity
- FG pays N10b to 1m beneficiaries every 2 months -Coordinator
- COVID-19: Union urges Nigerians in S/Africa to obey new lockdown rules
- COVID-19: World Bank, AU partner to support vaccination for 400m Africans
- President Buhari reassures commitment to tackle insecurity
- Verification: customs threatens to detain defaulting airplanes
- Niger to support special squad to rescue Islamiyyah children
- Association hails FG’s agric intervention programmes
- $430m Enugu-Cameroon highway to be completed before 2021 end – AfDB
- U.S. ready to meet N. Korean officials ‘anywhere, anytime’ – Envoy
- Rural Entrepreneurship: Agency empowers 200 women, youths in FCT
- Alleged sexual assault: Baba Ijesha to be arraigned on June 24
- Yoga practice best under supervision to prevent complications – Physician
- My faith in young generation unshakable — Aisha Buhari
- Court remands man for allegedly beating woman to death
- NYSC offers free medical services to 2 million rural dwellers
- 46th Birthday reflections by Gov. Yahaya Bello of Kogi State – Full Speech
- Iranian nuclear power plant shut for technical reasons
- 49th Birthday reflections by Gov. Yahaya Bello of Kogi State – Full Speech
- Crocodiles kill Indonesian mineworker
- Lagos-Abeokuta expressway: TRACE cautions truck drivers against speeding
- Buhari greets former I-G Solomon Arase at 65
- Germany records flat population growth first time in almost decade
- England’s COVID-19 vaccine bookings top 1m in 2 days
- E-Livestock Global fez o launch of the Mastercard solution based on blockchain (chain of blocks and dice) with the objective of increasing the visibility of the non-Zimbabwean bovine industry
- NAFDAC to register, certify premises of chemical manufacturers
- Russia urges attention on Iranian oil back to market
- Angelina Jolie visits Burkina Faso on Refugee Day
- COVID-19: Bereaved urges compassion for victims’ relatives By Cecilia Ologunagba
- COVID-19: Nigeria’s Consulate in New York embarks on vaccination drive
- COVID-19: NCDC reports zero cases June 20
- Troops eliminate 20 terrorists in Borno
- Qatar wants to allow only vaccinated fans to attend 2022 World Cup
- Switzerland crush Turkey but must wait on Euro 2020 hopes
- No loss of life in Marina fire outbreak — LASEMA
- NPFL: Plateau Utd humble Warri Wolves 2-0 to harvest maximum points
- UBEC commences inspection of model schools across Nigeria
- Request for daily stock record is statutory requirement — DPR
- Olympics-bound Anyanacho wins gold at Beirut Taekwondo open
- Kano govt. declares state of emergency on open defecation
- Troops foil terrorists’ attack, neutralise scores in Borno town
- FGC B/Yawuri: Troops rescue 4 more abductees, total now 11
- Fathers Day: You must live up to responsibility – cleric charges
- 25 home-based players to resume camping in Abuja for Mexico friendly Tuesday
- Nigeria earned N79.96bn from solid minerals in 2019, highest in 5 years – NEITI
- Borno govt to re-open farming activities – Official
- 24 states for maiden Lagos open athletics championships – Official
- Expo: MSME operators seek more research, fund to boost organic sector
- Police foil armed robbery attempt in Abuja
- Transforming: Agriculture and Food Processing in Nigeria
- Designer of 1004 Flats Housing Estate in Lagos, Fola Alade, is dead
- Nigeria’s consul advocates strategic engagement with S/Africa
- Video: Buhari thumbs up NLNG as NNPC reviews activities
- NiMet, FOA partner to ensure food security in Nigeria
- IMO lauds Nigeria’s leading role in securing Gulf of Guinea
- Nigeria’s South Africa mission issued 10,341 passports in 14 months – Envoy
- PDP stalwart seeks VAT reversal to 5%
- NDLEA arrests officer, 6 others for dealing in cocaine
- NGO advocates death penalty for looters of public funds
- Yar’Adua, Abu-Ali bag Yahaya Bello’s posthumous peace Idol award
- ASUU threatens industrial action over non-payment of members’ salaries
- All you need to know about Sickle Cell Disorder
- Oyo Police confirm murder of popular Ibadan radio presenter
- Sickle Cell Day: Author calls for awareness, adequate information
- Rivers council chairman to train 20 youths in maritime technology
- Vandalism: Works minister seeks NAN’s support on enlightenment
- How FG is deploying home-grown technology in road construction-Fashola
- Banana Village: From swamp to shelter
- Works ministry to revive Bridge Maintenance Unit–Fashola
- FG touching lives through expanded infrastructure, says Fashola
- FG will complete 2nd Niger Bridge next year: Fashola
- FG committed to affordable housing for Nigerians –Fashola
- Euro 2020: Spain, Poland in danger of early exit
- Work at Third Mainland Bridge critical for its preservation- Fashola
- Don’t block highways, Police warn protesters
- FG will complete key projects before 2023- Fashola
- FC Barcelona confirm agreement to sign Depay
- Bye-election: PDP wins Kaduna Assembly seat
- FGC Yauri Abduction: Gov. Bagudu to lead rescue operation in forest
- Golf plays significant role in life of military – CAS
- Buhari urges ECOWAS leaders to exert ‘pressure on Mali’ to return to civilian rule
- Buhari congratulates Guterres, Amina Mohammed on second tenure
- Insecurity: Imams demand religious leaders inclusion in national security architecture
- Buhari committed to economic diversification – Lai Mohammed
- FG to revitalise, reposition 6 zonal sickle cell centres
- Yoga key to community development, unity – Envoy
- Ooni sues for unity as Oluyin, Onibeju-Lekki visit palace
- Kogi Govt. unveils website to showcase achievements
- Police arrest bandit, recover AK47 rifle in Kaduna
- Truck crushes 2 persons on motorcycle to death in Ogun
- AfCFTA: Forum calls for integration of gender in trade services negotiation
- Bauchi residents lament erratic power supply
- Groups advocates safe environment, sexual education for children
- Abductions: International NGO tasks FG on safe, uninterrupted education
- Customs CG lauds Apapa Command for drug seizure
- Education, health, others to achieve 90% budget implementation through USAID project- Stakeholders
- New TCN transmission region to boost economic activities in Kano -Official
- Voter apathy characterise bye-election in Kaduna
- Navy arrests vandals with 210,000 litres of diesel
- NEMA advises residents as another tanker crashes, spills content in Lagos
- Physicians want states to curb GBV
- COVID-19 cases in Africa increase by 52% — WHO
- U.S. administered 300m COVID-19 vaccines in 150 days – Biden
- Rainfall: NiMet cautions aviation stakeholders on precautionary measures By Gabriel Agbeja
- Cardiologist says stress management crucial to tackling HBP
- Refugee Day: Abuja gets ‘City with Refugees’ status
- Students laud army’s selflessness in tackling security challenges
- Sports Ministry appoints Mikel Obi as Ambassador
- 95% of UTME candidates attain NIN requirement — JAMB
- 41m people under risk of famine, says WEP
- NiDCOM, NDLEA to build rehabilitation centers in Nigeria
- Gurin replaces Sani as aide to First Lady
- Turin replaces Sani as SSA to First Lady
- China-Nigeria cultures, civilisation contributes to world sustainable development – Envoy By Fortune Abang
- 46th Birthday: Stakeholders laud Gov. Bello’s giant strides in security, governance
- UNHCR applauds Nigeria’s “huge” contributions to catering to refugee’s needs
- Nigeria, APC is proud of you, Omo-Agege lauds Gov. Yahaya Bello
- Paradise estate residents demand title documents from developer
- Court discharges, acquits Delta Sen. Nwaoboshi of N322m laundering charge
- INEC begins online voter registration on June 28 – official
- WHO says 146,000 Africans die yearly from tobacco-related diseases
- Insecurity: Nigerian Army tasks officers, soldiers on critical thinking
- Insecurity: AU-ECOSOCC urges women involvement in peace mediation, resolution
- LPG tanker explosion: Lagos govt begins investigation
- Association to build judges capacity to tackle maritime cases
- FBNH harps on importance of financial statement to drive investments
- Expert recommends preferential COVID-19 vaccination for SCD patients under 16
- My administration will promote culture through tourism – Diri
- Angola registers over 5,500 deaths from malaria in first 5 months
- INEC confirms arrival of sensitive materials for Kaduna by-election
- 3 bodies recovered from Lagos LPG tanker explosion scene– NEMA
- N/East: 21 communities, 5 IDPs camps benefit from Mercy Corps’ peace initiative
- Gas explosion: 13 injured, 25 cars destroyed in Lagos – NEMA
- UN chief urges debt relief extension for middle-income countries
- We are ready to resume CVR on June 28 – INEC
- Nigeria reports 39 new COVID-19 infections, active cases now 1,490
- Police arrest man for raping stepmother By Yinusa Ishola
- WHO laments high suicide rate
- Nadal withdraws from Wimbledon tournament, Tokyo Olympics
- NEC backs move to check sexual assault
- Buhari mourns ex-Zambian President, Kaunda
- 18 parties jostle for Anambra Governorship election – INEC
- Buhari signs bond to end violence against children
- AU mourns Zambia’s former President Kenneth Kaunda
- How my successor will emerge in 2023 – Gov. Ugwuanyi
- Africa’s COVID-19 infections surging by 20% amid third wave – WHO
- EndSARS: Judicial panels submitting reports – NEC
- Zambia’s first president Kenneth Kaunda dies at 97
- I remain indebted to Nigerians for love shown to me – Buhari
- Air Peace begins daily flights to Ilorin
- EFCC boss dismisses reports linking serving minister to $37.5m property
- Armed robbery: 22-year-old man to die by hanging in Ekiti
- Ex-Philippine mayor killed for attacking police officer
- COVID-19: IMF says Nigeria’s economy ‘gradually’ recovering
- EFCC recovers N6bn, 30 estates, 32 automobiles in 3 months – Official
- SAP Young Professionals program extends digital capacity building for Lusophone Africa
- Digital Economy Policy: ACCI signs MoU, seeks private sector’s integration
- Security operatives deactivate IPOB/ESN criminals – DHQ
- Chinese astronauts arrive new space station
- SAP Young Professionals program extends digital skills development to Lusophone Africa
- Reps passed 41 bills in 2 years – Official By Femi Ogunshola
- Buhari to security agencies: Give no breathing space to terrorists, criminals
- E-Livestock Global Launches Blockchain-Based Mastercard Solution to Bring Visibility to Zimbabwe’s Livestock Industry
- Highly transmissible COVID-19 appears in Sri Lankan capital
- Gunmen abduct 4, kill policeman in Ogun
- Economist challenges W/Bank’s prediction on Nigeria’s inflation rate
- Ex-president Gbagbo returns home after 10 years in exile
- 38 AKSU programmes get NUC accreditation – VC
- NLNG Train 7 project, game changer for gas utilisation- IPMAN
- Iran urges voters to take part in Friday’s presidential election
- Tanzania plans to join COVAX vaccine-sharing facility — WHO
- Troops arrest suspected Chadian kidnapper, eliminate terrorists
- Arrest of kidnap kingpin excites Gov. Umahi
- President Buhari arrives Maiduguri for official visit
- Taking final stand on Nigeria oil, gas downstream sector deregulation
- AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine recommended for Australians above 60