A European Parliament resolution calling for Turkey to withdraw its troops from Cyprus is “disconnected from the realities,” the Turkish Foreign Ministry said on Friday, rejecting what it called “blackmail.”
“Turkey will continue to resolutely protect both her own rights and those of the Turkish Cypriots, without bowing to any threat and blackmail,” the Turkish statement read.
Ankara is still ready for dialogue and negotiation efforts, it added.
The European Parliament on Thursday said Turkey should also reverse the partial opening of the Varosha district in the north of the island, demanding its return to “its rightful residents.”
Cyprus has been divided between a Turkish north and Greek south since 1974 after a Greek coup and Turkish military intervention.
The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus is only recognised by Turkey, while the Republic of Cyprus has been an EU member since 2004.
Northern Cyprus recently partially reopened the Varosha district in Famagusta, which had been closed for more than 40 years and originally inhabited by Greek locals.
The resolution is the latest example of efforts to “take hostage” of the Turkey-EU relations by the Cyprus issue, the Turkish statement added.
In a recent visit to the north, Turkish President Recep Erdogan called for a two-state solution for the Mediterranean island.
Cyprus, Greece and Turkey are already locked in a dispute over maritime rights in the eastern Mediterranean.
Edited By: Fatima Sule/Emmanuel Yashim)