Tunisian president faces ‘serious threats
NNN: Tunisian President Kais Saied is the subject of “serious threats”, the Interior Ministry said on Friday, 11 months after the head of state staged a dramatic seizure of power.
“According to reliable information and ongoing investigations, the president of the republic and the presidency as an institution are under serious threat,” spokeswoman Fadhila Khelifi told reporters.
“There is a plan by groups both at home and abroad to attack the president’s security” and “damage state security and create chaos” in the North African country, he said.
He did not provide further details about the threats or their origin.
Ahmed Nejib Chebbi, a prominent leftist politician and a key opponent of Saied, disputed the claims.
“This is just to justify new arrests and take revenge on his rivals,” Chebbi told AFP.
“The president is politically isolated and is trying to garner public sympathy.”
Saied sacked the government and suspended parliament 11 months ago, then extended his powers over the judiciary and moved to change the constitution in a decisive blow to the only democracy to emerge from the Arab Spring uprisings.
Some Tunisians have welcomed his moves against a system seen as corrupt and incapable of addressing the country’s deep social and economic problems.
But opponents, particularly the Islamist-inspired Ennahdha party, have condemned his moves as a coup.
- CAF Champions League now to be played over two legs
- CAF moves 2023 AFCON to January and February 2024
- African Super League to kick off August 2023, CAF says
- Kwara United revive continental competition ticket chase by whipping Nasarawa United
- NPFL: Wikki Tourists FC spank former champions Akwa United
- First WAFCON match win for Senegal after spanking Uganda’s Crested Cranes
- Delta APC guber Campaign Organisation lauds INEC on CVR extension
- Adesanya outpoints Cannonier to retain UFC middleweight title
- Presidential Amnesty Programme revokes training contract for ex-agitators
- Nigeria’s unity more important than religious, ethnic inclinations – Army chaplain
- GOC urges troops not to be distracted by operational hardships
- Posters: Kwara agency warns against abuse of billboards
- AbdulRazaq congratulates Offa-born law scholar on professorial rank
- Police arrest suspected fake officer in Ebonyi
- Shots fired in Copenhagen mall, several victims, one arrest
- Match Day 36 results in 2021/2022 NPFL
- Health: AbdulRazaq approves recruitment of 197 medical personnel in Kwara
- Ram dealers bemoan low patronage as prices soar in Benin
- Customs Onne Port command generates N115.26bn in H1
- Lagos reiterates commitment to providing enabling environment for MSMEs