Foreign

Trump’s plan to cut ties with WHO “awful decision”: Irish minister

Published

on


Irish Minister for Health Simon Harris on Friday described U.S. President Donald Trump‘s plan to cut ties with the World Health Organization (WHO) as an “awful decision.”


He made the remark in his twitter account shortly after Trump announced that his country is terminating its relationship with the WHO at a press conference held at the White House on Friday afternoon.

“Awful decision. Now more than ever the world needs multilateralism. A global pandemic requires the world to work together,” Harris tweeted.

“If we are looking for a villain, it’s simple — but it’s not any organization — it’s the virus,” he continued.

“We should unite in our fight against it & not fight each other,” he said.

Earlier this month in a statement issued before his address to the World Health Assembly, Harris said that “In this time of great crisis, we need unity, not division. We cannot allow the politicization of this pandemic. Ireland stands shoulder to shoulder with the WHO.” .

(XINHUA)

https://nnn.ng/trumps-plan-to-cut-ties-with-who-awful-decision-irish-minister/

Foreign

United States initiates ‘snapback’ process to reimpose sanctions on Iran – Pompeo

Published

on


The United States has initiated the so-called snapback process to restore almost all previously lifted UN sanctions against Iran, United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement on Saturday.


“Today, the United States welcomes the return of virtually all previously terminated UN sanctions on the Islamic Republic of Iran, the world’s leading state sponsor of terror and anti-Semitism,” Pompeo said.

He said the snapback of previously terminated UN sanctions became effective at 8 pm Washington time (0000 GMT).

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif rejected the United States move, saying that the snapback mechanism and reimposed sanctions were invalid.

“This step is not supported by the UN Security Council because the United States is no longer in the nuclear agreement and accordingly no longer plays a role in UN resolution 2231,” Zarif said referring to the resolution in which the UNSC backed the Iran nuclear deal signed in Vienna in 2015.

The move by Washington was merely a “propaganda trick” ahead of the United States election, Zarif said on Iranian state television.

Washington’s plans to reimpose international sanctions on Iran have been met with overwhelming opposition from other countries.

Other members of the UN Security Council (UNSC), including key United States allies who are part of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, have rejected Washington’s move and have vowed to ignore it.

Under the nuclear deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), Tehran limited its nuclear activities in return for sanctions relief.

“Sanctions are being re-imposed on Iran pursuant to the snapback process under UN Security Council resolution (UNSCR) 2231. On August 20, the United States notified the President of the Security Council of Iran’s significant non-performance of its JCPOA commitments,” Pompeo said in the Saturday statement.

“Virtually all @UN sanctions have returned on Iran, the leading state sponsor of terrorism and anti-Semitism.

“This includes a permanent extension of the arms embargo. This is great news for peace in the region!” Pompeo added on Twitter.

He later added that Washington would soon “announce a range of additional measures to strengthen enforcement of @UN sanctions on Iran.”

“Our maximum pressure campaign on the Iranian regime will continue until it stops spreading chaos, violence, and bloodshed,” he said.

United States special representative for Iran and Venezuela Elliott Abrams had already signalled Washington’s determination to reimpose sanctions on Tehran earlier this week.

The United States launched a formal bid in August to revive the UN sanctions under the “snapback” mechanism included in the Iran deal.

Those sanctions include the indefinite extension of an arms embargo that would otherwise expire in October.

But few countries believe Washington’s move is legal, as United States President Donald Trump unilaterally exited the JCPOA in 2018.

Washington said it would provide more information this weekend and next week on how the United States intended to enforce the global sanctions.

“In the coming days, the United States will announce a range of additional measures to strengthen implementation of UN sanctions and hold violators accountable,” Pompeo said in Saturday’s statement.

“Our maximum pressure campaign on the Iranian regime will continue until Iran reaches a comprehensive agreement with us to rein in its proliferation threats and stops spreading chaos, violence, and bloodshed,” Pompeo asserted.

Trump is likely to address Iran in his speech next week to the UN General Assembly’s largely online meeting of world leaders.

The stand-off between the United States and other member states over the issue threatens a diplomatic crisis at the world body.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/united-states-initiates-snapback-process-to-reimpose-sanctions-on-iran-pompeo/
Continue Reading

Sport

Spurs sign Bale on loan, Reguilon on permanent deal

Published

on


Tottenham Hotspur have signed winger Gareth Bale and left-back Sergio Reguilon from Spanish champions Real Madrid, the English Premier League (EPL) club announced in a statement on Saturday.


Bale returns to his former club on a one-year loan deal, with British media reporting that Spurs will pay 20 million pounds in wages and fees for the 31-year-old Wales forward.

Reguilon, who spent last season on loan at Sevilla, arrives for a reported fee of 30 million euros (35.51 million dollars).

Bale made more than 200 appearances for Spurs between 2007 and 2013, scoring 56 goals with 58 assists before his then world record move to Real Madrid for 100 million euros.

He won four UEFA Champions League trophies and two La Liga titles with Real Madrid.

But he has divided opinion amongst the club’s fanbase, with some supporters frustrated by a perceived lack of commitment from the Welshman and his poor injury record.

Bale was poised for a move to Chinese club Jiangsu Suning last year before the deal fell through.

He endured his worst season at Real Madrid in 2019/2020, scoring only three goals in all competitions, and barely featured in their run to the Liga title.

His growing rift with manager Zinedine Zidane intensified when he did not travel with the squad for a UEFA Champions League clash against Manchester City last season.

The signings of Bale and Reguilon follow the arrival at Spurs of Denmark midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Ireland defender Matt Doherty and former England goalkeeper Joe Hart.

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Source: NAN

 

https://nnn.ng/spurs-sign-bale-on-loan-reguilon-on-permanent-deal/
Continue Reading

Environment

FG launches 25m tree planting, distributes cooking gas cylinders

Published

on


The Minister of Women Affairs, Dame Pauline Tallen, has said that tree planting would stimulate green environment and help to check the impact of climate change and deforestation in communities across the federation.


Tallen said this on Friday during the Federal Government’s launch of the National Cooking Gas Distribution and Tree Planting programme at Onueke in Ezza South Local Government Area of Ebonyi (LGAs)

She urged the local government chairmen to embark on tree planting in their areas and ensure that it became part of people’s national life.

She said that 1,000 cylinders would be distributed to each of the 774 LGAs in the country.

The minister said that the programme was targeted at indigent women and girls in the rural areas.

She said that WHO’s report indicates that emission from cooking stoves kills about 4.3 million people annually through air pollution and indoor-smoke inhalation, leading to respiratory disease and death.

“This event is to create public awareness, particularly women and other stakeholders, on the dangers of using firewood for cooking their health and environmental implications,” she said.

The Chairperson of the event, Mrs Princess Ngbada, commended the federal government for choosing the state to launch the programme.

Ngbada, a former Coordinator of New Partnership for Africa Development in Ebonyi, expressed optimism that the use of cooking gas would drastically preserve the forest and reduce the health hazard of cooking with firewood.

Gov. David Umahi, who was represented by his Deputy, Mr Kelechi Igwe, hailed the programme and promised that the state government would key into it.

The state Commissioner for Women Affairs, Mr Rebecca Ogbuewo, pledged that the state government would effectively enforce the tree planting to protect the environment.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the programme entails the planting of 25 million trees as promised by President Muhammadu Buhari at the United Nations General Assembly in 2019.

Edited By: Ifeyinwa Okonkwo/Sam Oditah
Source: NAN

 

 

 

 

 

 

https://nnn.ng/fg-launches-25m-tree-planting-distributes-cooking-gas-cylinders/
Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Coronavirus: Biden says Trump trusted less than Russia’s Putin, China’s Xi

Published

on


United States Democratic Presidential candidate Joe Biden said that President Donald Trump Administration’s way of handling the coronavirus outbreak in the United States was one of the reasons he was trusted by fewer foreigners than Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping.


Biden said this during a CNN town hall meeting in the Pennsylvania state.

The United States is set to hold a presidential election on Nov. 3.

“I’ve been doing this for a long time. I never ever thought I would see such a thoroughly totally irresponsible administration,” Biden said.

“It’s one of the reasons why if you take a look at the Pew Foundation poll — guess what, Russia’s Putin, China’s Xi Jinping are trusted by more people in the world than the president of America.

“And one of the reasons they say is COVID-19.”

According to Biden, not only did the Trump administration’s response to COVID-19 cause loss of lives in the United States, but it also caused Washington “to lose [its] influence in ways that are profound.”

The Democrat politician further described China as a “serious competitor” and Russia as an “opponent” to the United States, vowing more sanctions on Moscow in the case if it meddles in the upcoming presidential election.

The United States repeatedly accused Russia of meddling in its political processes, in particular, during the 2016 presidential election. Moscow has consistently denied these allegations.

In 2019, United States Special Counsel Robert Mueller, mandated to investigate the alleged interference, found no collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

But established that Moscow systematically interfered in the United States elections via two chief methods — social media campaigns and intelligence-backed cyberattacks.

Moscow responded by pointing to the lack of actual evidence to support this assumption.

Edited By: Fatima Sule/Ali Baba-Inuwa
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/coronavirus-biden-says-trump-trusted-less-than-russias-putin-chinas-xi/
Continue Reading

Rainstorm: Kwara governor sympathises with affected families Edo Election: Senate minority caucus hails Obaseki over victory Declare Badagry’s historical monuments protected structures, expert urges LASG Osimhen’s Napoli capitalised on Parma mistakes as spectators return to Serie A Edo poll: Gov. Ortom congratulates Obaseki INEC declares Gov. Obaseki winner of Edo governorship election Edo election: Group lauds INEC on credible poll, says its victory for democracy Son and Kane combination leads Tottenham Hotspur’s rout of Southampton Flood: Reptiles invade homes in Anambra community NIRSAL, Coy unveil insurance product for crop indemnity KDSG announces passage of Shehu Idris, the Emir of Zazzau FLASH: Gov. Obaseki wins 2nd term Buhari greets Sen Oluremi Tinibu at 60, salutes her courage, tenacity Commandant urges NAFRC trainees, retirees to be mindful of swindlers COVID-19: Ebonyi Govt. lifts restrictions on weddings, others NDE trains 100 youths on sustainable agriculture, marketing strategies   Land dispute stalls Aviation College plan to expand runway NCAT Zaria to open additional schools for pilots, aviation security personnel – Rector Successor: NGO urges Gov. Ugwuanyi to consult Enugu people Good work without faith is philanthropy – Bishop Martins AMDF develops database of press freedom violations in Africa COVID-19 palliatives: LGA distributes food items to 1,690 households in Kebbi Okiro urges peaceful coexistence among Ex-Niger Delta agitators, Nigerians Emir of Zazzau, Shehu Idris dies at 84 Why FG is investing massively in railways, seaports — Amaechi FCTA moves to reposition fire service to boost service delivery Kaduna IRS seals 40 bet9ja offices, 8 others in 7 days Schools reopening: Gov. Ganduje lauds FG’s level of preparation Northern states may reopen schools before Oct. 30 – commissioners Edo poll: INEC declares additional results from 3 LGs It’s unfair to discuss 2023 election now, opposition tells Enugu PDP Edo Polls: Foundation commends security personnel Edo election: INEC begins release of results FCTA, NAPTIP sign MoU on women rehabilitation centre 8 burnt to death in Lagos-Ibadan expressway accident  Newborn safely delivered under Ajah bridge NCDC records 189 new COVID-19 cases, total now 57,145 Nadal stunned by Schwartzman in Italian Open quarter-finals, Djokovic survives Koepfer United States initiates ‘snapback’ process to reimpose sanctions on Iran – Pompeo NIDO-Ghana plans webinar to mark Nigeria’s 60th independence anniversary Barca president Bartomeu says he won’t go to war anymore with Messi Edo election: Why collation is delayed — INEC Nketiah’s late strike gives Arsenal 2-1 win over West Ham United Ekiti Deputy Gov eulogises late theatre icon, Jimoh Aliu Gov Bagudu, stakeholders meet over flood, insecurity, vow to surmount challenges El-Rufai to participate in maiden Kaduna Marathon on Nov. 21 Ondo election: Agboola Ajayi best candidate for good governance — Mimiko Edo 2020: Group commends INEC on equal access for PWDs Banditry: Lawmaker urges FG to deploy more security to Sokoto Ebonyi police confirm alleged murder of motorcyclist by suspected lunatic