By Sumaila Ogbaje
The Nigerian military says its troops supported by the air component of Operation Lafiya Dole (OPLD) thwarted the incursion of Boko Haram terrorists into Damasak, headquarters of the Mobbar local government area in Borno, killing people dozens of deaths.
The director of public relations for the army, Brig.-General. Mohammed Yerima, in a statement released on Monday, said the success was recorded on April 10.
Yerima said the troops engaged the terrorists with superior firepower from both air and ground, which forced them to retreat in disarray with multiple men and loss of equipment.
He revealed that two brave soldiers paid the ultimate price while an officer and two other soldiers were injured during the encounter, adding that the injured are currently recovering at a military hospital in Maiduguri.
Yerima also revealed that Sector I troops, OPLD, on picket duty along the Ngwom-Mafa-Maiduguri road, neutralized seven members of the Boko Haram terrorist group on Sunday and recovered four AK-47 rifles.
He said terrorists were supposedly waiting to attack troops and innocent citizens using the busy road.
According to him, troops who continued to dominate the areas with massive demining patrols and ambushes sparked the surprise attack on terrorists who threatened the peace and livelihoods of people in the region.
“However, they were unlucky because they were trapped and neutralized in their own network.
After the duel and the successful neutralization of the terrorists, the troops continued their demining patrol to Maiduguri.
“Meanwhile, the OPLD troops will continue to maintain an aggressive stance to ensure that the entire area is cleared of terrorist elements and their activities while maintaining high moral and combat efficiency.
“The army chief of staff, the lieutenant general. Ibrahim Attahiru, congratulated the valiant troops and urged them to maintain their high and satisfactory morale and their effectiveness in combat, ”he said. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yKD
- FRSC solicits motorists’ support to minimise crashes
- Rugby Africa Women’s Sevens Solidarity Camp Tunis – Final report of the two-day tournament
- Neymar extends PSG deal until 2025
- Ogun Govt., Private Firms Empower 100 Youths
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 case update (May 8, 2021)
- Okowa mourns ex-minister Aisha Alhassan
- Ogun Govt. Re-Affirms Commitment To Boost Agric Sector
- UNIBEN warns admission seekers against racketeers
- Video press release: Rugby Africa 7-a-side solidarity camp – Day 2: All matches will be broadcast live Saturday and Sunday on Rugby Africa’s Facebook page and Rugby Africa’s YouTube channel