Texts released in assault case against Creed III star Jonathan Majors fail to exonerate him, claims social media
Release of text messages reportedly sent by Creed III star Jonathan Majors’ alleged assault victim appear not to have had the desired effect
Creed III star Jonathan Majors’ arrest on 25 March provoked a huge reaction across social media as people discussed the implications the news could have on the 33-year-old actor’s career. Majors was arrested and charged with two counts of assault in the third degree, aggravated harassment, and attempted assault against a woman believed to be his girlfriend. Representatives for Majors have maintained his innocence, and his lawyer, Priya Chaudhry, previously told Newsweek that Majors was the one who contacted 911 following the incident over concerns for the woman’s mental health.
Text messages purported to be from Majors’ alleged victim have been made public by Chaudhry, seemingly in a bid to redeem him but have faced a lot of scrutiny from various corners.
Now, texts purported to be from Majors’ alleged victim have been made public by Chaudhry, seemingly in a bid to redeem him. Newsweek has reached out to Chaudhry, of Chaudhry Law PLLC, for further comment and clarification of the texts.
A screenshot of a text exchange, seemingly between Majors and his alleged partner, was shared by TMZ. After being made public, the texts were dissected by social media users, journalists and legal experts.
Analysis of the text messages
Journalist Raven Brunner highlighted that the texts aren’t “the flex Jonathan Majors and his lawyers think it is,” after taking particular issue with the phrase: “I told them it was my fault for trying to grab your phone.” Gossip columnist Perez Hilton shared the story and suggested “these texts make him look guilty af, in my opinion.” Journalist Sana Saeed referenced Major’s lawyer, Chaudhry. And university professor Uju Anya wrote sarcastically: “So… I ain’t graduate from Trump University School of Law like the attorney who released these texts, but, um… don’t they still support the original charge that Jonathan Majors beat this poor woman so badly he put her in the hospital?”
Majors is accused of hitting the woman, “causing substantial pain and a laceration behind her ear,” police paid. He is also alleged to have put his hands on her neck “causing bruising and substantial pain.” Majors appeared in Manhattan Criminal Court on Saturday, March 25, and was released without bail. He is next due to appear in court on May 8.
Opinions on the text exchange
Many people who read the message dissected it and criticized the woman who sent the message with experts in the field of domestic violence sounding alarm bells. Author and sports reporter Lindsay Gibbs said on Twitter that the phrase “sent chills down my spine.” Entertainment reporter Mónica Marie Zorrilla compared the texts to her own experience. “These read like the texts I used to send my abusive college boyfriend,” she said. “As a reporter I am imparting no official judgment on Majors… not yet, anyway, and not publicly. However, at the end of the day I’m a survivor of psychological, verbal, and sexual abuse, and I know how this cycle goes.”
Although, many people have scrutinized the text messages that are purported to be from Mr. Majors’ alleged partner, none have been able to provide any substantial evidence exonerating Majors. Due to the public scrutiny of the actor and the ongoing investigation, it is too early to say what charges he will face in court.