By Chinyere Nwachukwu
According to him, the mileage achieved today by the biggest economies is linked to the huge investments in technology and innovations.
“We need to think and act quickly by investing in our universities and other higher education institutions in this direction.
“If we are to do it right, the frustrations that have hung over our institutions, especially universities, will disappear.
“For our part, we will continue to support research and innovations in our higher education institutions because it is the engine of national development,” he said.
The executive secretary lamented that the traditional window of funding credits for the country’s public universities has failed the nation.
Bogoro noted that for universities to effectively fulfill their teaching, research and community development mandate, increased funding is needed.
“The decline in income in the country has posed a serious threat to these institutions and, therefore, underlines the need for us to do more to stimulate and support research and development.
“The innovative out-of-the-box option of funding our public universities, as negotiated and secured by the Union of University Academic Staff, after four painful years of negotiation, is seen as the saving grace in sustainability and improvement. the ranking of our universities. “Most of the interventions carried out so far in our higher education institutions, as can be seen in universities, polytechnics and colleges, have been carried out by TETFund. “Having said that too, I will say that there is also a need to consolidate the content components of these institutions from around 15 percent to 33 percent,” he said. According to him, after the commitment of huge intervention funds from Tetfund in improving basic physical infrastructure in these public universities and in consultation with relevant stakeholders, there may be a paradigm shift from physical structures towards mostly content components. He noted that areas such as research, training and development of academic staff, library development and other areas could also be considered.
The boss of TETFund, who was the guest speaker, praised UNILAG for its research efforts, noting that it has rightly earned its place as one of Africa’s best in this space.
“The University of Lagos is the top performer in the National Research Fund grant. They have been very persistent and I want to say that the quality of leadership at this university made it all possible.
“It takes a serious scholar to believe in research and to go forward to get grants. We will continue to support targeted leadership in universities, polytechnics and higher education institutions, ”Bogoro said.
Ogundipe noted that these programs were aimed at responding to high level knowledge needs, skills and capacity development in Nigeria and the world in general.
He said the school has since grown in leaps and bounds with more than 15,000 students enrolled in its various programs for the session.
According to him, of this figure, more than 8,000 students are should graduate at the next cinvocation ceremony in July.
“This transforms our institution into a postgraduate university in line with federal government expectations first generation universities.
“No doubtfinancing in Nigeria is a daunting task. He Imajor factor in the recurring decimal of Actions and the closing of our ivory towers. He tasked education administrators with developing strategies to generate additional funds.
” Ppursuit of qualitative education at postgraduate level remains a financial burden that collectively requires responsibility of all stakeholders. This is a chase this the TET funds has demonstrated.
“Let me notice that the TET funds has been of immense benefit to speakers, researchers and graduate students at University from Lagos.
“He has provided and maintained some facilities for us. A typical example is the University Scholars’ Suites, which has been very helpful in accommodating visiting scholars to the university.
“This has help our partnerships and our Research and training efforts, with co-institutions in Nigeria and abroad among other benefits, ”Ogundipe said.
He added that rrecently, TET funds signed a memorandum of understanding with the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) which would train 17 academic staff the UNILAG nominees out of the country.
“The University from Lagos was selected as a Vvirtualub for the program, ”he said.
In his address, President of the occasion, Dr Ernest Ndukwe stressed the need to the private sector and educational institutions to work together for mutual benefit.
“It’s when private sector practitioners recognize the importance and benefits of research that they fund research,” he said.
“This is why the government and the public sector and other international funding bodies and some private organizations traditionally fund education and research,” he added.
He however said universities should look for ways to expand other research funding opportunities due to dwindling government resources in recent times
Earlier, the dean of the university’s School of Graduate Studies, Prof. Alabi Soneye, said that while higher education remains a primary source of knowledge, qualitative research remains the real tool for development and advancement. of the society.
According to him, the mirage of challenges that haunt sustainable development may not be hastily ended if insufficient funding continues to hamper quality higher education and in-depth research. (NAA)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3AeV
- African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (AVCA) and APO Group in partnership to drive strategic trade and investments across Africa
- Non-oil sector capable of sustaining Nigeria’s economy—RMAFC
- Former Philippine president Benigno Aquino dies
- 2021 UTME: NIN helps in checking multiple malpractices -JAMB
- FG, states, LGs share N605.95bn in May
- Indonesian cleric jailed 4 years for concealing COVID-19 test results
- Nigerian superstar, Wizkid receives Grammy awards plaque
- Africa’s energy deficit may thwart attainment of SDG-7 on electricity access – ECA
- Decision on work from home order for review soon — SGF
- Soludo wins Anambra APGA governorship primary election
- PDP suspends Sen. Nwaoboshi
- Senate to expose MDAs refusing to account for public funds, says Lawan
- COVID-19: Sub-Saharan Africa will need $425bn by 2030 – Adesina
- Uzodimma appoints 11 Permanent Secretaries
- Imo: COAS hails troops’ resilience in restoring peace, security
- Nigeria to lead Africa in AI, blockchain technology – NITDA DG
- International Widows Day: NGO seeks policy on widows’ welfare
- NCDMB, NEXIM sign agreement on $30m capital, capacity building fund
- SEC grants Chaka Technologies license for digital stock trading
- Bill for establishment of Imo CSR Commission passes second reading
- SMEDAN to ensure extended monitoring, evaluation of MSMEs – D-G
- TRCN intensifies action to clamp down on unqualified teachers
- Bears persist on NGX, capitalisation down N22bn
- 25-year-old man lands into trouble for allegedly cutting off another man’s thumb
- Delta 2023: Bomadi Mandate Group vows active participation in election
- Society reiterates need to harness digital money to boost economy
- Peacekeeping centre moves to address insecurity in Gulf of Guinea
- NYSC deworms 156 pupils, gives food items to elderly
- FEMA responds to 82 flood cases, saves 421 lives, says D-G
- FSTC Principal urges parents to partner school on students’ safety
- Sanwo-Olu calls for more push against gender inequality
- The many hurdles of women farmers in Niger state
- Slow progress, stubborn cycles of violence, as South Sudan turns 10
- Payment of 50 per cent lump sum to retirees: Matters arising
- 20,000 migrants benefit from IOM’s health assessment – Chief of Mission
- UNHCR warns against COVID-19 vaccine gap for stateless people
- Nigeria’s ambassador to Belgium pledges to strengthen trade, investment ties
- Ministry distributes indigenous science kits to schools to stimulate STI
- Indiscriminate borehole drilling may cause land shrinking, building collapse -Consultant
- Pilot phase of Pan African payment, settlement system begins- Sec.-Gen.
- Breach of MoU: NLC threatens face-off with Kaduna Govt.
- COVID-19 : FG takes delivery of $1m Saudi donated equipment –director
- WFP pleads for $6bn in urgent assistance as 41m face starvation worldwide
- 38 countries ratify AfCFTA agreement – Secretary-General
- PDP aspirant rules out consensus candidate for Anambra guber poll
- Trafficking in persons, smuggling of migrants, motivated by financial incentives — EFCC
- Ikoyi Lions Club restates commitment to environment preservation
- Brown invites 49 players to D’Tigers’ U.S. camp
- Smuggling: PMS daily consumption rises to 103m litres – NNPC
- U.S. govt facilitates deals worth $22bn in Africa in two years — Ambassador
- OPEC to mark 50th anniversary of Nigeria’s membership
- NAFDAC tasks stakeholders on drug abuse eradication
- FG set to facilitate provision of Assistive Technologies for PWDs
- ICPC calls for strict law enforcement to tackle corruption
- Buhari inaugurates steering committee on poverty reduction
- U.S. varsities admit about 13,000 Nigerians yearly
- Event planner faces N4.3m fraud charge
- Excessive exposure to social media risk factor for depression, suicide — Neuropsychiatrist
- FG assures of safe release of Birnin-Yauri students
- Install safety valves to reduce explosions, FRSC urges tanker owners
- Osinbajo lauds Abuja MSMEs over job creation
- FG insists Twitter ban is in Nigeria’s interest
- APC Group mobilises support for military
- Access Bank unveils Womenpreneur Pitch-a-ton Season 3
- Breaking the cycle of neglect: the powerful impact of eliminating worms.
- Qatar Airways will operate double daily flights to Lagos
- AMCOW launches African Sanitation Policy Guidelines
- Character Assassination: Seven Action Points Required
- Mastercard Foundation Appoints Robin Washington to Board of Directors
- The cloud as a tool to create certainty
- Role of media in achieving migration goals crucial – IOM
- BitDAO will save 230 million dollars to launch two major DAOs in the world
- Thales appoints Gregory Ligny vice president for Africa
- Flood: Okowa appeals to Warri/Effurun residents for patience
- Row over plans for new royal yacht in Britain
- European shares set to follow Wall Street higher on Tuesday
- Troops arrest suspected bandit in possession of military kits – Army
- Ogun Govt. identifies data as tool for proper health planning
- Philippine leader threatens jail for those who refuse vaccine jabs
- Re-appointment of Guterres, a vote of confidence – UN deputy chief
- Brazil: Officer convicted for crimes under military dictatorship
- Philippines’ Duterte lashes out at ICC over drug war probe
- Almost 11,000 migrants waiting for visas to join family in Germany
- Grave violations against children in conflict remain ‘alarmingly high’- UN
- Insurgency: Zulum urges resumption of Naval operations in Baga
- NYSC organises free medical outreach for Lagos residents
- NYSC medical outreach benefits 2m Nigerians — DG
- Chadian activist seeks Nigeria’s support to restore peace in his country
- Osinbajo rallies youths on active engagement in politics
- LASG gives 3-day ultimatum to property owners encroaching on canals
- Patricide: We’ll rely on advice from DPP – Police
- We are supporting states to intensify cholera outbreak response – NCDC By Abujah Racheal
- Widow of slain Oyo journalist wants killers brought to justice
- Buhari appoints Ekpungu EFCC Secretary, names board members
- Gunmen kill ATM customer in Ibadan
- Makinde inaugurates Oyo Security Network board, Amotekun corps
- Nigerian army dismisses video of soldiers mutilating suspect
- Anambra 2021: PDP NWC meets stakeholders, sues for unity
- FG pays N10b to 1m beneficiaries every 2 months -Coordinator
- COVID-19: Union urges Nigerians in S/Africa to obey new lockdown rules
- COVID-19: World Bank, AU partner to support vaccination for 400m Africans
- President Buhari reassures commitment to tackle insecurity
- Verification: customs threatens to detain defaulting airplanes
- Niger to support special squad to rescue Islamiyyah children
- Association hails FG’s agric intervention programmes
- $430m Enugu-Cameroon highway to be completed before 2021 end – AfDB
- U.S. ready to meet N. Korean officials ‘anywhere, anytime’ – Envoy
- Rural Entrepreneurship: Agency empowers 200 women, youths in FCT
- Alleged sexual assault: Baba Ijesha to be arraigned on June 24
- Yoga practice best under supervision to prevent complications – Physician
- My faith in young generation unshakable — Aisha Buhari
- Court remands man for allegedly beating woman to death
- NYSC offers free medical services to 2 million rural dwellers
- 46th Birthday reflections by Gov. Yahaya Bello of Kogi State – Full Speech
- Iranian nuclear power plant shut for technical reasons
- 49th Birthday reflections by Gov. Yahaya Bello of Kogi State – Full Speech
- Crocodiles kill Indonesian mineworker
- Lagos-Abeokuta expressway: TRACE cautions truck drivers against speeding
- Buhari greets former I-G Solomon Arase at 65
- Germany records flat population growth first time in almost decade
- England’s COVID-19 vaccine bookings top 1m in 2 days
- E-Livestock Global fez o launch of the Mastercard solution based on blockchain (chain of blocks and dice) with the objective of increasing the visibility of the non-Zimbabwean bovine industry
- NAFDAC to register, certify premises of chemical manufacturers
- Russia urges attention on Iranian oil back to market
- Angelina Jolie visits Burkina Faso on Refugee Day
- COVID-19: Bereaved urges compassion for victims’ relatives By Cecilia Ologunagba
- COVID-19: Nigeria’s Consulate in New York embarks on vaccination drive
- COVID-19: NCDC reports zero cases June 20
- Troops eliminate 20 terrorists in Borno
- Qatar wants to allow only vaccinated fans to attend 2022 World Cup
- Switzerland crush Turkey but must wait on Euro 2020 hopes
- No loss of life in Marina fire outbreak — LASEMA
- NPFL: Plateau Utd humble Warri Wolves 2-0 to harvest maximum points
- UBEC commences inspection of model schools across Nigeria
- Request for daily stock record is statutory requirement — DPR
- Olympics-bound Anyanacho wins gold at Beirut Taekwondo open
- Kano govt. declares state of emergency on open defecation
- Troops foil terrorists’ attack, neutralise scores in Borno town
- FGC B/Yawuri: Troops rescue 4 more abductees, total now 11
- Fathers Day: You must live up to responsibility – cleric charges
- 25 home-based players to resume camping in Abuja for Mexico friendly Tuesday
- Nigeria earned N79.96bn from solid minerals in 2019, highest in 5 years – NEITI
- Borno govt to re-open farming activities – Official
- 24 states for maiden Lagos open athletics championships – Official
- Expo: MSME operators seek more research, fund to boost organic sector
- Police foil armed robbery attempt in Abuja
- Transforming: Agriculture and Food Processing in Nigeria
- Designer of 1004 Flats Housing Estate in Lagos, Fola Alade, is dead
- Nigeria’s consul advocates strategic engagement with S/Africa
- Video: Buhari thumbs up NLNG as NNPC reviews activities
- NiMet, FOA partner to ensure food security in Nigeria
- IMO lauds Nigeria’s leading role in securing Gulf of Guinea
- Nigeria’s South Africa mission issued 10,341 passports in 14 months – Envoy
- PDP stalwart seeks VAT reversal to 5%
- NDLEA arrests officer, 6 others for dealing in cocaine
- NGO advocates death penalty for looters of public funds
- Yar’Adua, Abu-Ali bag Yahaya Bello’s posthumous peace Idol award
- ASUU threatens industrial action over non-payment of members’ salaries
- All you need to know about Sickle Cell Disorder
- Oyo Police confirm murder of popular Ibadan radio presenter
- Sickle Cell Day: Author calls for awareness, adequate information
- Rivers council chairman to train 20 youths in maritime technology
- Vandalism: Works minister seeks NAN’s support on enlightenment
- How FG is deploying home-grown technology in road construction-Fashola
- Banana Village: From swamp to shelter
- Works ministry to revive Bridge Maintenance Unit–Fashola
- FG touching lives through expanded infrastructure, says Fashola
- FG will complete 2nd Niger Bridge next year: Fashola
- FG committed to affordable housing for Nigerians –Fashola
- Euro 2020: Spain, Poland in danger of early exit
- Work at Third Mainland Bridge critical for its preservation- Fashola
- Don’t block highways, Police warn protesters
- FG will complete key projects before 2023- Fashola
- FC Barcelona confirm agreement to sign Depay
- Bye-election: PDP wins Kaduna Assembly seat
- FGC Yauri Abduction: Gov. Bagudu to lead rescue operation in forest
- Golf plays significant role in life of military – CAS
- Buhari urges ECOWAS leaders to exert ‘pressure on Mali’ to return to civilian rule
- Buhari congratulates Guterres, Amina Mohammed on second tenure
- Insecurity: Imams demand religious leaders inclusion in national security architecture
- Buhari committed to economic diversification – Lai Mohammed
- FG to revitalise, reposition 6 zonal sickle cell centres
- Yoga key to community development, unity – Envoy
- Ooni sues for unity as Oluyin, Onibeju-Lekki visit palace
- Kogi Govt. unveils website to showcase achievements
- Police arrest bandit, recover AK47 rifle in Kaduna
- Truck crushes 2 persons on motorcycle to death in Ogun
- AfCFTA: Forum calls for integration of gender in trade services negotiation
- Bauchi residents lament erratic power supply
- Groups advocates safe environment, sexual education for children
- Abductions: International NGO tasks FG on safe, uninterrupted education
- Customs CG lauds Apapa Command for drug seizure
- Education, health, others to achieve 90% budget implementation through USAID project- Stakeholders
- New TCN transmission region to boost economic activities in Kano -Official
- Voter apathy characterise bye-election in Kaduna
- Navy arrests vandals with 210,000 litres of diesel
- NEMA advises residents as another tanker crashes, spills content in Lagos
- Physicians want states to curb GBV
- COVID-19 cases in Africa increase by 52% — WHO
- U.S. administered 300m COVID-19 vaccines in 150 days – Biden