The Pakistan army said on Monday that two terrorists were killed in an operation by the Pakistani security forces in the South Waziristan district of Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
An army statement said the security forces conducted an intelligence-based operation in the Nargosa area of South Waziristan district bordering Afghanistan.
During an intense exchange of fire, two terrorists were killed, and one got injured and apprehended, the army’s media wing, the Inter-Services Public Relations, said in the statement.
The statement said one of the killed terrorists was also involved in the attack on security forces in last October in which several soldiers were killed.
South Waziristan used to be a hotbed of militancy, but the security forces have successfully flushed out the terrorists from the area in separate high-profiled armed offensives.
Though the area has been purged from the militancy to a great extent, sporadic attacks continue in the area by the militants who have fled but come back to the area to launch attacks at security personnel whenever they find a chance.
A surge in terrorist incidents has been witnessed recently in the country, following which the military has intensified its operations against the militants.
- Coronavirus – Africa: First doses of COVID-19 COVAX vaccine administered in Africa
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 update (February 28, 2021)
- The Qhubeka ASSOS team announces a solid program for Le Samyn
- Professor Umar Danbatta to deliver the Bullion lecture
- SouthBridge Investments announces innovative joint venture with Charles Kié as CEO
- African Energy Chamber Advisory Board book now available for pre-order
- Africa LNG report now available: Mozambique at the forefront of global gas development
- Vodacom Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Mondia launch the first maternal health service of its kind in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Africa can and must decide how to harness its natural resources, especially with gas (by NJ Ayuk)
- Hapag-Lloyd opens new office in Kenya