A Federal High Court sitting in Ilorin on Thursday struck out a suit filed by the Kwara chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) against the New Nigerian Peoples Party (NNPP) and its gubernatorial candidate, Prof. Shuaib Oba-AbdulRaheem.
The court struck out the suit following a notice of withdrawal of the matter filed by the Counsel to the APC, Mr Suleiman Ibrahim.
In his submission on the withdrawal notice, the lead counsel to the defendants, AbdulGaniyu Bello, urged the court to dismiss the matter with substantial cost for non-compliance with Order 50 of the Federal High Court Civil Procedure Rule, 2019.Responding, Counsel to the APC, relying on same Order 50 of the rules of the court, maintained that the Order had been substantially complied with and urged the court to discountenance the submissions of the defendants’ counsel and obliged his prayers by striking out the matter with no cost awarded.
In his rulling, the presiding judge, Justice I.
M. Sanni, struck out the suit and awarded a N30,000 cost against the plaintiff.
The second defendant (NNPP) and the fourth defendant (Oba-Abdulraheem) were represented by Abdulganiyu Bello, Prof. Ibrahim Abikan and Mahmud AbdulRaheem.
The Kaduna State Agricultural Development Agency (KADA) on Thursday called for increased investment in the agricultural sector to address malnutrition.
The KADA General Manager, Dr Abubakar Bayero, made the call when the state’s committee on food and nutrition paid him an advocacy visit in his office.
Bayero, who was represented by the agency’s Director of Agriculture Services, Mrs Jummai Ambi, advised governments and development partners to increase investment in the sector.
According to him, increased investment will ensure food security and improve households’ access to adequate food supply that will improve health and nutrition.
“The millions being spent on treatment of malnourished children should be channelled to KADA to improve food production for households’ food security and livelihoods as preventive measures.
“Beyond increasing investment in the sector, families must be sensitised on backyard gardens and all-year-round agriculture to sustain households’ food supply,” the official said.
Earlier, Mrs Pricilla Dariya, Deputy Director, Development Aid Coordination, Planning and Budget Commission, Kaduna State, who led the delegation, said that the visit was to push for increased investment in nutrition.
Dariya said that the advocacy was supported by Civil Society-Scaling Up Nutrition in Nigeria (CS-SUNN), UNICEF, Alive and Thrive, Accelerating Nutrition Result in Nigeria and Kaduna State Emergency Nutrition Action Plan (KADENAP).
She said that the state government was investing huge resources to fight malnutrition among women, children and adolescents.
She said that the interventions were being guided by the State Policy on Food and Nutrition and the State Multi-sectoral Strategic Plan of Action on Nutrition (KDMSPAN).
She said that, as a key player in the multi-sectoral intervention, KADA had a critical role to play, particularly on food security, to increase households’ access to quality food supply.
In his remarks, Technical Adviser to KADENAP on Nutrition, Mr Sani Hassan, said that the visit was to solicit for creation of a budget line for nutrition activities in the agency.
Hassan urged the management of KADA to ensure full implementation of nutrition programmes as outlined in KDMSPAN.
“We also want KADA to integrate nutrition messages in sensitisation and awareness creation activities, and create a crèche for working mothers to adequately breastfeed their children.
“We increased working synergy and partnership with KADA to enable the state to achieve the set targets in its food and nutrition policy,” Hassan said.
The Project Manager, KADENAP, Mr Umar Bambale, said that the visit would strengthen working relationship with KADA to facilitate households’ food security and promote good nutrition practice.
Bambale said that creation of a budget line in the agency would provide the needed financial resources to implement planned nutrition activities.
Mr Suleiman Ibrahim of the National Orientation Agency said that the agency would provide community structures across the 23 local government areas of the state to promote good agricultural practices.
The Federal Ministry of Mines and Steel Development in collaboration with Price waterhouse Coopers (PwC) has provided clarifications on the competitive tender for the selection of bidders for the development of Nigeria’s delineated Bitumen blocs.
The ministry made this clarification in a statement issued by Mr Simon Obadiah, the Director, General of Mining Cadastre and the Chairman of Bitumen Committee, following a virtual meeting held on the issues in Lagos.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development had issued PwC a letter of award on Nov. 11, 2022, designating it as its Transaction Manager.
The ministry designated PwC to oversee the selection of bidders for the development of Nigeria’s defined bitumen blocs through a competitive tender procedure.
In his remarks, Obadiah, said that Nigeria was blessed with a lot of mineral resources which had remained untapped.
According to him, the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development has recorded tremendous success after its establishment.
Obadiah, who noted that there was more to be done, said, “bitumen is one of the very important resources that have remained untapped.” Calling on more investors to buy into the development, the chairman said that “all hands must be on deck for the good of everyone.” Dr Abdulrasaq Garba, the Director-General of Nigerian Geological Survey Agency, provided an up to date history of bitumen exploration in Nigeria.
in his presentation, he said that Nigeria ranks 6th in bitumen reserves in the world, with reserves estimated at 42 billion barrels.
Garba also gave some geo-scientific data and all other information needed to guide the investors in the making of sound judgement in whatever area they are looking to invest in.
The leader of the Mining Practice at Price waterhouse Coopers Nigeria, Cyril Azobu, said that the scope of the PwC mandate was to ensure uniqueness and peculiarity of the exploration, development and extraction of bitumen.
Azobu said that only suitably qualified local and international investors with prerequisite experience, technological expertise and financial capacity would be chosen to execute bitumen development to a meaningful extraction-level.
He said that this would be through a transparent and competitive procurement process as enshrined in the Nigerian Mineral and Mining Act, 2007 and in line with global best industry practices.
In his presentation, the Director, Capital Projects and Infrastructure, Mr Suleiman Ibrahim, highlighted the criteria for the qualification of investors and a project overview as well.
“PwC has disclosed that a two-stage bidding process will be adopted; the request for qualification and the request for proposal stage.
Also, the bidding process is to go on for seven months from May to November 2022,” Ibrahim said.
He added that the local and international investors were expected to prepare a “Request for Qualification Application and send it to bitumen.ngsa.gov.ng”.
“The application is to consist of six credentials which include experience in bitumen testing, bitumen refining capabilities, bitumen exploration and extraction.
“Investors are also needed to comply with applicable environmental, social and governance sustainability guidelines; balance sheet assets exceeding 25 million dollars; and lastly, technical and financial capability to execute feasibility studies.
“The main use of bitumen in Nigeria is for road construction.
The bitumen, an important component of asphalt, is used for road paving.
“The main focus of the Federal Government of Nigeria for the bidding process is bitumen to asphalt,” he said.
Zamfara dethroned the Emir of Zurmi, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and that of Dansadau, Alhaji Hussaini Umar, on Wednesday for their alleged involvement in banditry.
The government also removed Alhaji Suleiman Ibrahim, District Head of Birnin Tsaba, in Zurmi Local Government Area from office, for a similar offence.
Commissioner for Information, Alhaji Ibrahim Dosara, announced their removal at a news conference after the State Executive Council meeting.
“Council approved a committee’s recommendation for the dethronement of Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the first-class Emir of Zurmi, in Zurmi Local Government Area.
“Council also adopted the committee’s report and approved the removal of Alhaji Husseini Umar, a second-class Emir of Dansadau, in Maru Local Government Area.
“It also approved the removal of Alhaji Suleiman Ibrahim, District Head of Birnin Tsaba, in Zurmi Local Government Area,’’ the commissioner said.
He added that government’s decision followed the indictment of the traditional rulers and the community leader by two committees set up to investigate them.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Zamfara suspended the three culprits from office in June 2021.
It set up the two committees to investigate them following their alleged involvement in banditry and land racketeering in their respective domains.
Government also placed the traditional rulers under house arrest for the period the investigation lasted.
The committees headed by a retired Deputy Inspector-General of Police and Commissioner for Security, Alhaji Mamman Tsafe, submitted their findings to the state government earlier.
The state government, after receiving the report set up a White Paper committee to review the recommendations.
The Council upheld the outcome of the White paper and dethroned the two emirs and the district head.
Government also gazetted the committee’s recommendations.
NAN reports that the acting governor of the state, Alhaji Hassan Nasiha, presided over Wednesday’s State Executive Council meeting.
The Police, on Thursday, arraigned three men at a Life Camp Magistrate Court, Abuja for alleged criminal trespass and stealing involving the sum of N370,000.
Umar Suleiman, 18, Lawal Garba, 31, and Sanusi Aliyu, 21, all of no fixed address, are standing trial on a three-count charge of joint act, criminal trespass and theft.
The prosecutor, ASP Peter Ejike, told the court that the matter was reported to the police on July 5 by Mr Suleiman Ibrahim, who resides at Gwarinpa, Abuja.
He said the accused persons in alliance with two others identified as Dankaduna and Abdullahi, who are now at large, committed the crime after breaking into the complainant’s residence.
He said that while the crime was ongoing, Ibrahim saw Suleiman, Garba, and Aliyu, adding that “he quickly raised an alarm, making them to run away”.
“While running away, they abandoned other items stolen from Ibrahim’s house at a nearby farm but took away the sum of N370,000.
“During police investigation on the matter, the accused persons pleaded guilty of committing the crime,” he said.
Ejike said the offence contravened Sections 79, 349 and 287 of the Penal Code Law.
Meanwhile, the accused persons havpleaded not guilty to the charges.
The Chief Magistrate, Celestine Odo, admitted the accused persons to bail in the sum of N250, 000, and one surety each in like sum.
Odo ordered that the sureties must live within the jurisdiction of the court, possess a fixed address and a means of livelihood.
He also ordered that the sureties should submit a copy of their recent passport photographs and means of identification.
Odo adjourned the matter to August 24 for hearing.
Edited By: Azubuike Okeh/Yemi Idris-Aduloju (NAN)
Gov. Hope Uzodinma of Imo on Tuesday assigned portfolios to 95 aides with 63 appointed as Special Advisers while 32 are Senior Special Assistants.
A statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Oguike Nwachuku, indicated that Prof. Henry Njoku, a Special Adviser, is Chief Technical Adviser/Coordinator, Economic Development and Rehabilitation Council, while Mrs Ruby Emele, is for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs.
Other Special Advisers are Mrs Christina Ude, Sustainable Development Goals and Humanitarian Services (SDGs), Dr Bathos Nwadike, Political, Mrs Pat Ekeji Ngozi, Strategy and Development, while Mr Macdonald Ebere combines that role with being the General Manager, ENTRACO.
Mr Ikpamezie Innocent is Special Assistant to General Manager, OCDA, Mr Dominic Uzowuru, Inter-Party, Amaka Okafor, Electronic/New Media, Dr Okereke Macillina, health.
Others are Doris Tony-Anyanwu, International Cooperation/NEPAD, Ifeanyi Opara, Labour Matters, Chief Canice Nwachukwu, Revenue Mobilisation and Capacity Development, while Ikem Unaebgu is for Aviation/Airport.
Justice Remigious Okoye is the Executive Chairman, Imo Internal Revenue Services (IIRS), Nwodu Chukwuemeka, Internally Generated Revenue (IGR), Mrs Nina Nwaulu, Signage and Advertisement, Mrs Florence Anichebe, Special Duties III, and Jimmy Imo, Imo State Liason Office.
Senior Special Assistants to the governor and their portfolios are as follows: Hajiya Fatima Hamza, Gender and Vulnerable Groups – Northern Affairs (Women), Alhaji Suleiman Ibrahim, Gender and Vulnerable Groups – Northern Affairs (Men).
Edited By: Chinyere Bassey and Ephraims Sheyin (NAN)