Turkish police on Tuesday said it has detained 10 Islamic State (IS) suspects in security operations covering four provinces, the state-run TRT TV reported.
It said Seven suspects residing in the central provinces of Ankara and the three others, all foreign nationals, in the provinces of Konya, Kayseri, and Gaziantep were caught in simultaneous police operations.
Their identities were confirmed after the police in Ankara examined the images in the digital materials obtained from detained IS members and some online public-accessible images.
The police said the suspects had carried out armed activities.
Meanwhile, a large number of digital materials and organisational documents were seized during the raids.
The Turkish government designated the IS a terrorist organisation in 2013, blaming it for a spate of deadly attacks in Türkiye since 2015.(
A huge bomb blast at one of the biggest mosques in western Afghanistan Friday killed its influential imam, who called earlier this year for those who commit “the smallest act” against the government to be beheaded.
Images and pictures posted on Twitter showed what appeared to be blood-stained bodies scattered around the compound of Gazargah Mosque in Herat city, and local media said many casualties were feared.
Violence has declined since the Taliban returned to power last year, but several bomb blasts some targeting minority communities have rocked the country in recent months, many claimed by the jihadist Islamic State (IS) group.
Government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid confirmed that Mujib ur Rahman Ansari had been killed in Friday’s blast.
“The country’s strong and courageous religious scholar was martyred in a brutal attack,” he said on Twitter.
Ansari was an influential cleric known for his fiery speeches.
In July, during a religious gathering in Kabul, he called for those who commit “the smallest act against our Islamic government” to be beheaded.
“This (Taliban) flag has not been raised easily, and it will not be lowered easily,” he said.
Ansari is the second pro-Taliban cleric to be killed in a blast in less than a month, after Rahimullah Haqqani died in a suicide attack at his madrassa in Kabul.
Haqqani was known for angry speeches against IS, who later claimed responsibility for his death.
He had also spoken in favour of girls being allowed to attend secondary school, despite the government banning them from attending classes in most provinces.
Several mosques across the country have been targeted this year, some in attacks claimed by IS.
At least 21 people were killed and dozens more wounded on August 17 when a blast ripped through a mosque packed with worshippers in Kabul.
IS has primarily targeted minority communities such as Shiites, Sufis and Sikhs.
While IS is a Sunni Islamist group like the Taliban, the two are bitter rivals and greatly diverge on ideological grounds.
Government officials claim that IS has been defeated but experts say the group is the main security challenge for the country’s Islamist rulers.
Türkiye on Monday detained eight Islamic State (IS) suspects in police raids in the Black Sea province of Samsun, local media reported.
Samsun police detained one Syrian and seven Iraqi nationals in the district of Ilkadim and seized digital materials belonging to them.
The Turkish government designated the IS a terrorist organisation in 2013, and accused the group of launching a spate of deadly attacks in the country since 2015. Türkiye’s southern border with Syria has been a major crossing point for Syrians and foreign fighters since the outbreak of the Syrian war in 2011. Türkiye launched its first cross-border operation into northern Syria, named Operation Euphrates Shield in 2016, to eliminate the IS militants around Jarablus and Azaz areas.
2,106 Afghan civilians killed, wounded after Taliban retook power – UN 2,106 Afghan civilians killed, wounded after Taliban retook power – UN TalibanIslamabad, July 20, 2022 At least 700 civilians have been killed in Afghanistan since the Taliban seized power last August, the United Nations announced on Wednesday.
Another 1,406 were wounded during the same period, the UN diplomatic mission in the country said, in a new report outlining the human rights situation in Afghanistan over the past 10 months.
According to the report, the civilian casualties were mainly caused by improvised explosive device (IED) attacks attributed to the Islamic State (IS) and unexploded ordnance.
IS attacks targeted ethnic and religious minority communities, setting off explosives close to places where people go to school, worship, and go about their daily lives.
A number of civilians killed in a U.S. drone attack ahead of their chaotic withdrawal in August, plus airstrikes by Pakistani military forces in eastern Afghanistan in April, are also included in the report.
Alongside civilian casualties, the UN also documented hundreds of cases of extrajudicial killings, arbitrary arrests, and detentions, as well as torture and ill-treatment, carried out by the Taliban, the de facto authorities.
The Taliban mainly targets former Afghan government officials and individuals accused of affiliation with political opponents such as the Islamic State or an anti-Taliban National Resistance Front, the UN said.
The report also highlights the Taliban crackdown on journalists, freedom of speech as well as severe restrictions on women, and the harsh human rights situation.
YEE == (
The use of children in combat is cruel, illegal and should never take placeJOHANNESBURG, South Africa, September 29, 2021 / APO Group / -
An armed group linked to the Islamic State (IS) in northern Mozambique abducts boys and uses them to fight government forces in violation of the international ban on the use of child soldiers, Human Rights Watch said today 'hui.
The armed group, known locally as Al-Shabab, kidnapped hundreds of boys, some as young as 12, dragged them to bases in Cabo Delgado province and forced them to fight alongside adults against government forces. In the city of Palma, parents said they saw their sons brandishing weapons when they returned with other fighters to attack their village.
“The use of children in combat is cruel, illegal and should never take place,” said Mausi Segun, Africa director at Human Rights Watch. “Mozambique's Al-Shabab should immediately stop recruiting children and release all children from its ranks. "
Human Rights Watch spoke by phone with four parents of kidnapped boys, a former child soldier, and two witnesses of abuse. The child soldier and witnesses escaped from Al-Shabaab's training base in the town of Mbau, where they had been held captive for several weeks. Their accounts dovetail with media reports that the armed group was kidnapping boys to make them fighters.
A 42-year-old man said seven al-Shabab fighters abducted his 17-year-old son during their March 24 attack on Palma. He said the gunmen found his family of seven on a farm where they hid for two days after the fighting.
"I was on my knees begging the Mashababos [the local popular name for Al-Shabab] to pick me up instead, while my wife grabbed my boy's pants to keep him from walking away, ”the man said. “One of the men hit my wife on the head with an AK-47 [assault rifle] to force her to free herself [our son], while the other man threatened to kill us all if we didn't let the boy go. The boy's mother, 36, said she saw him again in May, just before the family abandoned Palma to seek refuge elsewhere.
“I was hiding inside the house when I heard her voice and checked out the window,” she said. "I saw him in a group of about a dozen other boys, all wearing camouflage pants and a red headband around their heads."
Two other women said al-Shabab abducted their sons during the raid on Mocimboa da Praia in August 2020 that resulted in the capture of the port city.
Three women who escaped from an al-Shabab base in Mbau said there were "hundreds of boys" in the ranks of the group. "They behave like adult men, even going so far as to choose 'wives' from the kidnapped girls," said one woman.
Another woman who escaped said al-Shabab forces abducted her in March in Palma and that the armed group drove her with hundreds of women and boys in three trucks to Mocimboa da Praia , where they had remained captive. “The boys were taken for military training in Mbau and Macomia,” she said. “After the training, they were brought back to receive Islamic lessons and instructions to attack the villages. "
A young man said he was under 18 in April 2020 when six Al-Shabab fighters found him with two 16-year-old friends hiding on a farm during an attack on Mocimboa da Praia. The fighters argued over what to do with the boys and considered beheading them because they considered their "hairstyles" to be against Islam. Instead, they forced the boys to walk blindfolded for several kilometers inside the forest to the combatants' base in Mbau.
"We joined many other men and boys and were trained in the use of guns and knives in combat," said the young man. “They told us that we had to kill and fight for our land and protect our religion, which is under attack in Mozambique. "
He escaped a month later, while on patrol, and now lives in fear of being picked up by the armed group.
In June 2021, humanitarian organization Save the Children estimated that non-state armed groups in Cabo Delgado had abducted at least 51 children, mostly girls, over the past year. A local group, the Observatório do Meio Rural (OMR), reported that the kidnapped boys were expanding the ranks of armed groups in the area.
The United Nations Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict, which Mozambique ratified in 2004, prohibits non-state armed groups from recruiting children under the age of 18. years. The criminal court classifies the conscription, enlistment or active use of children under the age of 15 in active hostilities during an armed conflict as a war crime.
“The growing use of children as combatants by Al-Shabab is the latest horrific chapter in Cabo Delgado's violence,” Segun said. “The Mozambican authorities should take urgent action to protect children, so that they stay with their families and in school, and that they are not exploited as weapons of war.
The Moroccan security services on Monday bust a cell linked to the Islamic State (IS) militant group and arrested three persons.
The Central Bureau of Judicial Investigation, Morocco’s intelligence bureau said in a statement that the suspects, aged 26 to 28, were arrested in the cities of Inezgane and Ait Melloul.
According to the bureau, many materials were seized during the operation included large and medium-sized knives, electronic devices, and extremist documents.
Preliminary investigations revealed that the cell was planning “terrorist operations aimed at undermining the security and stability of the North African country,” it added.
The bureau said that the suspects would be brought to justice upon the completion of the investigation.
In September, Moroccan security services busted a cell linked to the IS militant group and arrested five of its members.
Security operations carried out simultaneously in the cities of Tangier, Tiflet, Temara and Skhirat led to the arrest of the five suspects aged between 29 and 43, according to a statement by the Moroccan Central Bureau for Judicial Investigations.
Two of the suspects were arrested in Tiflet, 80 km east of the capital Rabat, and in Temara located in the suburb of Rabat.
Three explosive belts, electronic devices, large-sized knives and swords, chemical substances and nearly three kg of ammonium nitrate were seized during the operation.
Initial investigations revealed that the suspects were planning to carry out terrorist attacks on sensitive sites in Morocco using explosive belts, said the statement.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Iraqi President Barham Salih on Thursday called for continued international cooperation to combat terrorism and asserted the need to ease regional tensions to prevent terrorist groups
Salih’s comments came during his meeting with British Defence Senior Advisor Sir John Lorimer and British Ambassador to Iraq Stephen Hickey in the presidential palace in Baghdad, a statement by the media office of the Presidency said.
“The war against terrorism continues and there is a need for international cooperation to continue the war on terrorist organisations as a cross-border threat that threatening all countries,” the statement quoted Salih as saying.
Barham said that some of the extremist Islamic State (IS) militants seek from time to time to threaten the security and stability of citizens in some Iraqi towns.
But the Iraqi security forces, in coordination with the anti-IS international coalition, continue to track the terrorists to prevent them from achieving their goals, according to the statement.
The president also stressed the importance of reducing the regional tension to prevent extremist terrorist organisations from exploiting crises to achieve their goals of threatening societal peace and security, the statement said.
For his part, Lorimer affirmed the importance of cooperation to combat terrorism, as well as his country’s commitment to supporting the Iraqi security forces in training and arming to achieve security and stability in Iraq, it added.
Edited By: Fatima Sule/Felix Ajide
The extremist Islamic State (IS) militants has reportedly executed an Iraqi engineer kidnapped on Oct.27, in the western province of Anbar, a local official said on Thursday.
Amer Jadaan al-Fahdawi was kidnapped on Oct. 25, when he left a construction site to rehabilitate a destroyed bridge, east of the town of Rutba, some 450 km west of Baghdad, Imad al-Dulaimi, mayor of the town told Xinhua.
The execution was carried out in a desert area east of the town of al-Rutba, al-Dulaimi said.
The rehabilitation of the bridges on the highway, with the support of the United Nations Development Programme in Iraq, is part of the process of reconstructing urban areas destroyed during the battles to dislodge the militants from the province.
Reports say IS militants are still active in the vast Anbar desert that stretches to the borders with neighbouring countries of Syria, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia.
According to reports, small groups or individuals of IS militants infiltrate repeatedly into Iraq from neighbouring Syria through the roughly 600 km long border with Iraq in an attempt to regroup in the country.
Reports also say that the security situation in Iraq has been dramatically improved after Iraqi security forces declared full liberation of Iraq from IS militants late in 2017.
The Iraqi forces repeatedly carrying out operations to control the whole border areas with Syria and nearby desert in western Iraq.
Edited By: Halima Sheji
Turkish police on Thursday launched massive simultaneous operations against suspected members of the Islamic State (IS) in Istanbul and detained at least 14 foreign nationals, local media reported.
The Istanbul Police Department’s Counter-Terrorism Unit teams raided 21 homes across the city to capture the suspects, who have alleged links to the IS members in Syria, the state-run TRT broadcaster said.
The nationalities of those detained were not immediately available.
Searches in the addresses continue while police forces are seeking to capture other suspects, according to press reports.
The IS was blamed for a spate of deadly attacks in Turkey since 2015.
Edited By: Halima Sheji/ Maharazu Ahmed
Turkish police detained 14 people in Istanbul over their suspected links to the Islamic State (IS) militant group, local media reported on Friday.
The Police had launched simultaneous operations in 17 locations across Turkey’s largest city to capture the suspects, believed to have financially supported the IS, the state-run Anadolu Agency said.
It added that those targeted in the operations were recruiting personnel for the group.
Several fake passports, digital materials, and cash were seized in the raids.
The IS was blamed for a spate of deadly attacks over the years in Turkey, in which more than 300 people were killed.
Edited By: Halima Sheji/Ismail Abdulaziz