Connect with us

III

  •  span style font size inherit gt The Executive Secretary Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board in Niger Alhaji Umar Maku says no fewer than 560 intending pilgrims from the state will be transported to Jedda for the 2022 hajj He said on Friday in Minna that the pilgrims are from Munya Mashegu Chanchaga Kontagora and Magama local government areas of the hellip
    Hajj: 560 intending pilgrims in Niger set
     span style font size inherit gt The Executive Secretary Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board in Niger Alhaji Umar Maku says no fewer than 560 intending pilgrims from the state will be transported to Jedda for the 2022 hajj He said on Friday in Minna that the pilgrims are from Munya Mashegu Chanchaga Kontagora and Magama local government areas of the hellip
    Hajj: 560 intending pilgrims in Niger set
    General news1 day ago

    Hajj: 560 intending pilgrims in Niger set

    span style="font-size: inherit">The Executive Secretary, Muslim Pilgrims’ Welfare Board in Niger, Alhaji Umar Maku, says no fewer than 560 intending pilgrims from the state will be transported to Jedda for the 2022 hajj.

    He said on Friday in Minna that the pilgrims “are  from Munya, Mashegu, Chanchaga, Kontagora and Magama local government areas of the state”.

    According to him, the pilgrims will be in the first flight from the state to Jedda International Airport.

    The Amiru Hajj and Emir of Kontagora, Alhaji Muazu Barau III,  told the intending pilgrims to be law-abiding while in the holy land.Muazu also inaugurated the first flight at Umar Faruk Bahago Hajj camp in Bosso Local Government Area of the state.He advised the pilgrims to be cautious of people in their dealings to avoid bad company.He also enjoined them not to take any prohibited items and illicit drugs.He urged them to use the pilgrimage to “pray to Almighty Allah for peaceful existence and hitch-free 2023 general elections.Earlier in his address, Gov. Abubakar Bello, congratulated the intending pilgrims for making it to this year’s hajj exercise.Represented by Deputy Governor Alhaji Ahmed Ketsu, the governor  warned them against any act capable of tarnishing the good image of the state and the country.He assured the intending pilgrims that their welfare would be of paramount importance, considering the status of persons leading the state government delegation.

    NewsSourceCredit: NAN

  •  Federal Government says it will deliver section III of the Kano Zaria Road part of the North West Roads under construction by the 1st quarter of March 2023 Mr Folorunsho Esan the Director Highway Construction and Rehabilitation Federal Ministry of Works and Housing FMWH disclosed this during inspection of the project on Friday in Kano The News hellip
    Kano-Zaria road sections for delivery early 2023 — FG
     Federal Government says it will deliver section III of the Kano Zaria Road part of the North West Roads under construction by the 1st quarter of March 2023 Mr Folorunsho Esan the Director Highway Construction and Rehabilitation Federal Ministry of Works and Housing FMWH disclosed this during inspection of the project on Friday in Kano The News hellip
    Kano-Zaria road sections for delivery early 2023 — FG
    General news1 day ago

    Kano-Zaria road sections for delivery early 2023 — FG

    Federal Government says it will deliver section  III, of the Kano-Zaria Road, part of the North-West Roads under construction by the 1st quarter of March 2023.Mr Folorunsho Esan, the Director, Highway Construction and Rehabilitation, Federal Ministry of Works and Housing (FMWH), disclosed this during inspection of the project on Friday in Kano.The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the inspection is part of a  two-day event which began from the 199.50 kilometres  Kaduna-Pambeguwa-Jos road currently at 18 per cent completion.Also inspected  were the  sections II and III, of the Kaduna-Zaria Road and Rehabilitation of 64.600 kilometres Zaria-Gusau-Sokoto-Birnin-Kebbi road, Funtua-Zaria Section.While at the inspection, Esan expressed satisfaction with the work of the contractors, adding that the project would be delivered according to schedule.“The section III with a length of 137 kilometres was  handed over to contractors on June 26, 2018 and work  commenced on July 12, 2018 from Daka Tsalle.“I’m so impressed with the level of work and even the quality too, because if you have not traveled up to this point, you will think the contractor is not working, so what I’ve seen so far today I’m so impressed,” Esan said.On the challenge of the shoulders of the roads being converted to car wash and parking lots, the director urged those carrying out these acts to desist from it.He called on law enforcement agents to do their jobs by stopping such people so that the roads could be durable and live up to its expected life span.Esan added that the length of road handed over and opened to traffic by contractors were right hand side carriageway Kano-bound 60.66 kilometres while the left hand side carriageway Zaria-bound was 64.80 kilometres.On his part, the Project Manager of Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, handlers of the project, Mr Finn Drosdowski appealed to stakeholders to be patient for best results.“The challenges always come if you do construction work because you know we close one side of the road, and only the other side is opened for the public. So, I want to appeal to all stakeholders to bear with us for the inconvenience.“I can promise like the director said, we will finish this road from Zaria to Kano in the first quarter of next year and then the traffic will be released then everybody can enjoy the much more wider road,” Drosdowski said.NAN reports that the road was contracted at the cost of N73.875 billion. Included in the inspection of the North-West Roads was the Kano Western Bye-pass involving a 26.6-kilometre dual-carriageway.It starts from Naibawa kilometres 10 on the Kano-Kaduna road and ends at Dawanau village kilometres 15 on the Kano-Katsina road. The contract is an extension of dualisation of Kano-Maiduguri Road.Mr Roy Hungushi, the Project Manger of Kano Western Bye-pass, said the the work was in progress but appealed for an extension of the contract to 2024.“Some of the challenges we face during construction include raining season, high cost of materials and blasting services and  delay in SUSUK fund payment,” he said.The contract sum which was reviewed  upward stands at N22.7 billion and the contractor is Messrs Dantata and Sawoe Nig Ltd .(

    NewsSourceCredit: NAN

  •   The Minister of Works and Housing Mr Babatunde Fashola on Wednesday said more than 12 387 applicants applied for the Federal Government National Housing Programme across the country Fashola disclosed this at the official handing over of keys to beneficiaries of the housing programme in Osogbo Represented by the Osun Controller of Ministry of Works Mr hellip
    12,387 Nigerians applied for National Housing Scheme —  Fashola
      The Minister of Works and Housing Mr Babatunde Fashola on Wednesday said more than 12 387 applicants applied for the Federal Government National Housing Programme across the country Fashola disclosed this at the official handing over of keys to beneficiaries of the housing programme in Osogbo Represented by the Osun Controller of Ministry of Works Mr hellip
    12,387 Nigerians applied for National Housing Scheme —  Fashola
    General news4 days ago

    12,387 Nigerians applied for National Housing Scheme —  Fashola

     The Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, on Wednesday said more than 12,387 applicants applied for the Federal Government National Housing Programme across the country.

    Fashola disclosed this at the official handing over of keys to beneficiaries of the housing programme in Osogbo.

    Represented by the Osun Controller of Ministry of Works, Mr Nuru Adeoye, the minister said that out of the application received, 694 applications had been approved by the ministry.

    Fashola said all applications were approved without any form of discrimination or favouritism.

    The minister said four beneficiaries in Osun had fully paid for the houses of their choice within the estate.

    He said the estate comprises 76-units of one-bedroom, two-bedrooms and three-bedrooms.

    “We have offered all these housing units to members of the public in a non-discriminatory way.

    He said government would ensure that those interested were not inhibited by artificial obstacles.

    He said allocations would be made on the basis of first come, first served basis.

    Fashola said the four beneficiaries were among the first set of Nigerians to be handed over keys.

    In his remarks, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, Bashir Alkali, said the housing scheme had engaged more than 1,500 building contractors under phases I, II and III of the programme since inception in 2016.

    Represented by Danbaba Yahaya, Chief Town Planning Officer in the ministry, Alkali said that more than 15,000 and 55,000 direct and indirect jobs were also created respectively.

    He said since the construction of more than 6,000 housing units started in 45 sites, 2,665 units had been completed in 35 states and the FCT.

    Also, the Timi of Ede, Oba Munirudeen Lawal, commended the Federal Government for the housing scheme.

    He said that it would go a long way to solving the housing deficit in the country.

    The four beneficiaries of the project, however, commended the Federal Government for the initiative.

    NewsSourceCredit: NAN

  •  The Obi of Onitsha Nnaemeka Achebe has urged the Federal Government to increase the budget allocation to health and education Achebe made the call on Tuesday in Abuja at the first Bi Annual Reproductive Maternal Newborn Child Adolescent and Elderly Health plus Nutrition RMNCAEH N multi stakeholder partnership coordination platform The News Agency of Nigeria reports that hellip
    Traditional ruler urges FG to increase budget allocation for health, education
     The Obi of Onitsha Nnaemeka Achebe has urged the Federal Government to increase the budget allocation to health and education Achebe made the call on Tuesday in Abuja at the first Bi Annual Reproductive Maternal Newborn Child Adolescent and Elderly Health plus Nutrition RMNCAEH N multi stakeholder partnership coordination platform The News Agency of Nigeria reports that hellip
    Traditional ruler urges FG to increase budget allocation for health, education
    General news4 days ago

    Traditional ruler urges FG to increase budget allocation for health, education

    The Obi of Onitsha, Nnaemeka Achebe, has urged the Federal Government to increase the budget allocation to health and education .

    Achebe made the call on Tuesday in Abuja, at the first Bi-Annual Reproductive Maternal Newborn Child Adolescent and Elderly Health plus Nutrition (RMNCAEH+N) multi-stakeholder partnership coordination platform.

    The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the RMNCAEH+N, which was launched in October 2020, is  a multi-stakeholder partnership coordination platform which would harmonise the health interventions of the government and health partners to reduce wastage and channel funds to get the desired result to achieve Universal Health Care Coverage.

    The platform brings together a wider cross-sector of partners and traditional leaders to address the gaps in achieving effective overall coordination of RMNCAEH+N issues by harnessing the relative strengths of individual players to leverage resources, reduce duplication and induce speed towards maximized health outcomes.

    Represented by the Emir of Shonga, Dr Haliru Yahaya, Achebe said it was wrong that the National Assembly commands a higher budget than education and health sectors.

    “The programme must flow down to the states and Local Government Areas for implementation synergy, cooperation and Partnership,” he said.

    Implementation of the RMNCAEH+N, he said, is key to success.

    “There must be a sense of urgency; the human capital document took four years to develop and the set targets cannot now be achieved within the set time frame due to delays.

    “Funding is also very critical for success,” he added.

    Contributing, the Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar III, urged the federal government and its partners to remain committed to improving the health and well-being of Nigerians, especially vulnerable populations.

    The Sultan, who was represented by the Chairman of the Northern Traditional Leaders Committee on Primary Health Care Delivery (NTLC), and Emir of Argungu, Alhaji Samaila Mera pledged the continuous support of Traditional and Religious leaders towards the achievement of UHC in the country.

    Earlier, the Minister of State, Health, Sen. Olorunnimbe Mamora said that as part of the RMNCAEH+N commitments, the government was working to ensure the availability of family planning commodities and services, by launching the FP2030 commitment.

    Mamora, who was represented by the Director of Family Health Department, FMOH, Dr Salma Kolo, said the commitment is aimed at increasing domestic funding and sustainable financing through earmarking of one per cent health budgets, at federal and state levels.

    “We are optimistic that Nigeria will attain its vision with a strategy that allows eligible citizens, including adolescents, young people, and vulnerable populations, to make informed choices and get equitable, affordable access to quality FP and participation in national development.

    “This is the goal of the FP2030 commitment,” he explained.

    Dr Walter Kazadi Mulombo, WHO Country Representative, assured Nigeria of WHO’s continual support meets the target of UHC.

    Mulombo, who was represented by Dr Martin Chabi, Medical Officer, Maternal and Child Health UHC, Life Course Chaster, WHO said that the meeting was a great opportunity to improve the health of women, children and adolescents via transformative multi-sectoral action.

    According to him, this will also accelerate coverage of interventions, reduce gender and equity gaps, and improve the quality of services.

    Speaking, Prof Emmanuel Lufadeju, National Coordinator of Rotary Maternal and Child Health Project in Nigeria, said that the organisation is supporting the ministry on RMNCAEH+N.

    Lufadeju said that RMNCAEH+N was a coordinating platform for stakeholders to have coordination and concentration activities and efforts so that there were no repetitions in its activities.

    “So far, through the Department of Family Health, ministry of health, coordination has been very effective in terms of data collection, advocacy, technical support, and it is still growing.

    ”This is to review what has been achieved so far in the last two years, what we have to do differently and how we can move forward.

    “Rotary is a major supporter of the FMOH, especially the Department of Family Health, on issues of maternal and child health in Nigeria.

    “We expect to increase contraceptive prevalence rate from the present 15 per cent to above 30 per cent in the next five years,” he explained.

    He said that the organisation expects of the organisation to drastically reduce maternal mortality in the country.

    “ Maternal mortality, which is at the moment 512 women dying out of 100,000 live births. We have been doing a lot of work in terms of advocacy, and capacity building in the country in terms of supply of equipment and facilities,” he added.

    NAN reports that this is the fourth meeting since the launch of the platform, was structured for a critical performance appraisal, to articulate lessons learnt, identify challenges, and define its focus for the next six months.

    The meeting addressed thematic areas that support progress toward reducing mortality indices in the RMNCEAH+N programme. . 

    NewsSourceCredit: NAN

  •  A Nigerien Daniel Diji was Tuesday docked in a Grade I Area Court Karu in Abuja for allegedly stealing a car battery stereo speaker and an Automated Teller Machine ATM card The police charged Diji 26 who lives in Jikwoyi Phase III of FCT Abuja with criminal trespass and theft The Prosecution Counsel Ade Adeyanju told hellip
    Nigerien docked for allegedly stealing car battery, stereo
     A Nigerien Daniel Diji was Tuesday docked in a Grade I Area Court Karu in Abuja for allegedly stealing a car battery stereo speaker and an Automated Teller Machine ATM card The police charged Diji 26 who lives in Jikwoyi Phase III of FCT Abuja with criminal trespass and theft The Prosecution Counsel Ade Adeyanju told hellip
    Nigerien docked for allegedly stealing car battery, stereo
    General news5 days ago

    Nigerien docked for allegedly stealing car battery, stereo

    A Nigerien, Daniel Diji, was Tuesday docked in a Grade I Area Court Karu in Abuja for allegedly stealing a car battery, stereo, speaker and an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) card.

    The police charged Diji, 26 who lives in Jikwoyi Phase III of FCT, Abuja, with criminal trespass and theft.

    The Prosecution Counsel, Ade Adeyanju, told the court that the defendant was caught sleeping inside the complainant’s car after stealing a battery, stereo, speaker, woofer, ATM card issued by UBA bank plc.

    The prosecutor said the matter was reported at the Jikwoyi Divisional Headquarters by Hope Ngoigwe, who lives in Jikwoyi Phase I, FCT, Abuja.

    Adeyanju said the offence contravened the provisions of sections 342 and 288 of the penal Code.

    The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

    The Judge, Malam Inuwa Maiwada, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N100, 000 and one surety in like sum.

    Mohammed ordered that the surety must provide affidavit of diligence, statement of account and must be reasonable and reliable within the court jurisdiction.

    He adjourned the case until July 25, for hearing.

    NewsSourceCredit: NAN