The Police Command in Nasarawa State says it is investigating the alleged killing of four herdsmen in Kardarko community of Keana Local Government Area (LGA).
Nansel Ramhan, Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state confirmed the attack to the News Agency of Nigeria in Lafia on Monday.
Ramhan said that the matter was reported to the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of Kardarko and they were working assiduously to unravel those behind the attack.
He said that the DPO had mobilised personnel to the the area to forestall further breakdown of law and order.
The Police spokesperson, therefore, appealed to the public to remain calm as the perpetrators of the act would be brought to justice.
While MACBAN accused the Tiv people in Nasarawa State of being behind the attack, the Tiv people on the other hand said the attack was perpetrated by unknown persons purportedly from Benue state.
Alhaji Mohammed Hussaini Chairman of Miyetti Allah alleged that the Tiv people in Nasarawa attacked nine of their people at Kardarko, Keana Local Government, killing four and injuring five others who were currently receiving treatment at the hospital.
Hussaini said that their cows were also rustled during the attack.
He said that they had already reported the matter to the police and the state government.
He, therefore, warned their members against reprisal and allow the security agencies and the government to do their work.
On his part, Mr Boniface Ifer, President of TIDA in the state, disassociated the Tiv people in Nasarawa State from the attack in the state.
Ifer explained that, from their investigation the problem started from Yalewata area of Benue State when some herdsmen crossed the border to graze in Benue.
“So, we were informed that the herdsmen while grazing on someone’s farm and when the owner challgenged them, he was attacked, drawing the attention of other farmers in the area.
“The herdsmen were chased and attacked by some people from Benue state because of what they did there.
“So, the attackers were from Benue State and not the Tiv people in Nasarawa state,” the TIDA President added.
He maintained that the Tiv people in Nasarawa state had no reason to attack herdsmen as there was no problem between them.
He said Tiv people in Nasarawa state were just returning to their communities after incessant attacks on their communities that kept them away for long and from farming activities and could not do anything that would prevent them from farming. .
Edited By: Gregg Mmaduakolam and Isaac Ukpoju (NAN)
The Police Command in Rivers on Sunday said it had commenced investigation into the alleged arrest and assault of a pharmacist by its officers inspite of being exempted from the lockdown order in the state.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that Gov. Nyesom Wike on Thursday declared total lockdown of Port Harcourt and Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of the state following growing cases of COVID-19.
The command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Nnamdi Omoni, told newsmen in Port Harcourt that investigation had been launched following several complaints on the incident.
“The command is aware of the statement credited to the Director of Luckpharm Pharmacy, Dr Lucky Nwaidu, over his alleged inhuman treatment by some personnel of Ozuoba police station of the command.
Omoni said that Mukan had informed policemen under his command the categories of persons and organisations exempted from the lockdown.
“After hearing from Nwaidu and all parties, the CP ordered full scale investigation into the matter with a view to bringing anyone found complicit to book.
The spokesman said that the commissioner had always frowned seriously at lawlessness and unprofessional conduct of policemen under the command.
The commissioner, he added, had always urged personnel to be cautious and polite to residents in the discharge of their constitutional duties.
Nwaidu had alleged that he was arrested for operating his pharmacy inspite of informing the police officers that health workers were exempted from the lockdown.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)
The Police Command in Rivers on Saturday said that it had rescued a Lebanese Nollywood actor, Bilal Nosser, from his abductors.The command’s spokesman, DSP Nnamdi Omoni, said in a statement that it took the swift intervention of operatives from Okehi Police Station led by the Divisional Police Officer to rescue the actor on Saturday in Port Harcourt.Nosser was kidnapped in the early hours of Friday in Imo and kept in a thick forest of Ndashi community in Etche Local Government Area of Rivers.Omoni said, “Operatives from Okehi Police station led by the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) rescued Bilal Nosser, a Nollywood actor popularly known as ‘Mr B’, in a sting operation on Friday night.“Nosser was kidnapped in the early hours of Friday in Imo and taken to a forest in Ndashi, where he was rescued by the DPO and his team.”he said.Omoni said that the operatives arrested one suspect in the hideout while others fled on sighting the police team.“The male suspect was arrested while he was keeping watch over Nosser. The suspect had confessed to the crime as well as named other gang members.“Consequently, efforts have been intensified to arrest his fleeing members and recover their operational weapons,” he said.The police spokesman also said that the team recovered a Toyota Venza car belonging to the actor from his abductors.Omoni said that the State Commissioner of Police, Mr Joseph Mukan, had appealed to the members of the public to be vigilant and report suspicious movements and persons to the police.He urged the public to contact the command by calling the following mobile numbers: 08032003514, 08103696460, 08033396538.Edited /Peter Dada
The Police in Ebonyi have invited a member of the state House of Assembly and the Chairman of Afikpo South Local Government Area for questioning over a cult clash in the area.
According to a statement by DSP Loveth Odah, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state on Wednesday, the invited lawmaker and council chairman are Mr Chidi Ejem (PDP-Afikpo South East) and Chief Eni Chima.
Odah said that preliminary investigations revealed that the clash which led to the death of one person was between two cult groups allegedly loyal to both men.
“The deceased was said to be the leader of the group loyal to the LGA chairman.
“Six suspects were arrested in connection with the case as the Commissioner of Police (CP) Awosola Awotinde has ordered a full-scale investigation into the matter,’’ she said.
“Based on the information, the DPO mobilised a team to the area and the hoodlums on sighting the patrol vehicle took to their heels.
“Three suspects, Akum Ogbonna, Kenneth Onu and Ogbuagu Chukwu all of Amoso Edda were arrested,” Odah said.
She said the clash lingered till May 3 during which a group stormed the Owutu Edda playground and attacked one Chima Okpai, 26, alleged leader of the rival group.
“He (Okpai) sustained machete injuries all over his body and was left in his pool of blood.
“He consequently became unconscious and was rushed to Owutu General Hospital for medical treatment but was later confirmed dead by the medical doctor on duty.
“The corpse was deposited at the same hospital’s mortuary for preservation,” she said.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that efforts made to get the reactions of both invited men proved abortive as they neither picked their calls nor responded to text messages sent to them on their cell phones.
Edited By: Johnson Eyiangho/Ese E. Ekama (NAN)
The police command in Akwa Ibom has confirmed the death of three persons in clashes between two rival cult groups in Oruk Anam Local Government area of the state.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, CSP Nnudam Fredrick, confirmed the incident to newsmen in Uyo on Tuesday.
Nundam said that the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in Oruk Anum would ascertain the number of suspects arrested during the incident.
“The DPO of the area actually called me that there was a clash between two rival cult groups and that three persons were killed,” Fredrick said.
He said that the command had deployed the police personnel to the area to restore normalcy.
“I have not heard of any incident today. But the police have been drafted to restore normalcy in the area. The police van has also been positioned in the area,” he said.
Earlier, an eyewitness, who pleaded anonymity, had said that no fewer than three persons were killed in a cult clash at Inen community in Oruk Anam.
He said that one of the victims was allegedly killed on Monday by a five-man gang and his body dismembered near the Community Primary School at Inen, Ikot Etim.
The source said that the victim was lynched in Odoro Ikot, a boundary village between Ukanafun and Oruk Anam council areas.
“Another victim was murdered in Inen Ikot Obio Idang, where houses were looted, with residents scampering for safety,” he said.
The source further said that the third victim was murdered near the Community Primary School, Ikot Etim.
He said that the gang members descended on the victim, inflicting several cuts on him until he slumped and died.
“They just swooped on the young man and started inflicting cuts, which dismembered his body before he started bleeding and eventually died,” the source said.
Edited By: Debo Oshundun and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq
Police from the Divisional Headquarters in Eket Local Government Area (LGA) of Akwa Ibom, have arrested Mr Godwin Jeremiah, a bricklayer from Ikot Udota, for allegedly raping his 13-year-old daughter.
Mr Sunday Digha, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), disclosed this to newsmen in Eket, during the arrest of Jeremiah on Saturday.
Digha said the suspect started harassing his daughter sexually since last year, and was arrested after she reported the case to the Divisional Police Headquarters, Eket.
The News Agency of Nigeria , reports that the DPO was accompanied by the wife of the Eket Local Government Chairman, Mrs Bright Archibong, and President, International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA), in Akwa Ibom, Mrs Emem Ette, to arrest the alleged suspect.
“The suspect is currently being detained at the Divisional Police Headquarters in Eket, for further investigations,” Digha said.
He said that Jeremiah’s friend, who also allegedly attempted to rape the victim, was at large and the police were looking for him.
Narrating her ordeal, the victim, who broke down in tears, accused her father of forcefully having sex with her mainly in the night, and almost on a daily basis.
She said that her father’s friend, one Mr Michael, from Ikot Udoma village, also attempted to rape her, but he ran away when she raised alarm.
“My father forcefully abused me sexually. This occurs almost on daily basis in spite of my resistance and the pains and injury I sustained from the ungodly act.
“Initially, I reported the case to my stepmother who confronted my father, but she was beaten and this made her flee from my father’s house.
“When the whole thing became unbearable for me, I ran and reported to the police, which led to his first arrest, but my aunt, who did not believe my story, intervened and he was released on bail.
After his release, I did not have any option than to return to the house and stay with my father.
“The matter grew from bad to worse. It was the darkest moment in my life. This time my father did not allow me to sleep, he forcefully abused me through out the night.
“It was coming on daily basis. Since nobody was there to help, I decided to run away from my father’s house.
“But fate led to my meeting a compassionate mother, Mrs Bright Archibong, and the President of FIDA who rose up to fight on my behalf,” she narrated.
In his response, Jeremiah said said that his daughter, who used to sleep on the same bed with him, just decided to run away from the house without any reason.
Also speaking, Archibong condemned the act, saying that the suspect’s arrest would serve as a deterrent to others.
“It is the worst thing a person can do to a child, especially a father to his daughter. What could have caused a father to rape his daughter?”
She said that the girl was safe and now staying at a recognised government home, and had been taken to a doctor, who had checked to confirm her health status.
Ette, on her part, warned that every rapist would not go unpunished as they would be arrested and prosecuted accordingly.
She said that after police had concluded its investigations, the law would takes it full course.
“We have also had lots of cases of women defiling their sons, this is the worst that can ever happen to a child, and we want to advise parents to desist from such acts,” Ette said.
Edited By: Oluyinka Fadare/Nyisom Fiyigon Dore (NAN)
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in Katsina State, SP Gambo Isah, said that the Command had killed two robbery suspects during a gun battle.
Isah said this while displaying the bodies of the deceased before newsmen in Katsina on Thursday.
He stated that the police clamped down on the suspects when it received a distress call at about 2:00 p.m. on Thursday.
The PPRO explained that the bandits in their numbers, on motor bikes, armed with sophisticated weapons, blocked Ruma to Jibia Road and were robbing innocent persons of their money and valuables.
He said the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Batsari, SP Isa Sule, led Operation Puff Adder to the scene and blocked their exit route into Rugu forest along Duba road.
“Fortunately, the team succeeded and engaged the robbers in a fierce gun battle as a result which the two suspects were gunned down.
“The police recovered AK 49 rifle, with five live ammunition, an unregistered Bajaj Honda Motor cycle, charms, and the sum of N6,465 on the suspects.
The PPRO said that investigation revealed that members of the gang were the ones terrorising innocent people between Ruma, Dubar and Dankar villages in Batsari Local Government Area of the state.
He said that search parties were combing the bushes with a view to arresting other members of the syndicate who fled with gun wounds,
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)
The Delta State Police Command, said it has arrested some suspects in connection with alleged murder of a commercial tricycle operator at Otokutu community inUghelli South Local Government Area of the state.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Hafiz Inuwa, who disclosed this to newsmen in Warri on Sunday, added that the police was on the trail of the real culprit.
“We have arrested some persons in connection with the crime, we are looking for the real culprit,” Inuwa said.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Foundation for Rights Advocate (FRA) an NGO, had earlier on Sunday, exonerated the police of being responsible for the killing as insinuated in some online media reports.
The National President of FRA, Miss Tega Shalokpe, exonerated the police at a press conference at the Secretariat of the Warri Correspondent Chapel of the the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) on the development.
It will be recalled that a middle-aged tricycle operator, simply identified as Mr Okomedo was alleged by an online media to have been killed by a policeman on April 8, at Otokutu, Ughelli South LGA of the state.
The human rights activist alleged that the deceased was killed by a local vigilante based on its findings.
“My group went to the Otu-Jeremi Police Station, we met the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) and the Investigating Police Officer (IPO) and others.
“I traced some of the passengers the deceased was carrying and one of them, a woman narrated what transpired.
“The woman said the tricycle operator had a disagreement with the vigilante at the Otokutu community gate over the N50 gate pass.
“They always pay N50 before they can be allowed to carry passengers into the community.
“When the deceased was going into the town, he allegedly gave the vigilante N50, on his way back, they also demanded N50 from him, that led to the argument.
“When the argument was getting too much, the deceased ran out of the tricycle and the vigilante went after him close to one filling station where he used plank on him and the man died almost immediately,” she alleged.
Shalokpe called on the Insp. General of Police (IGP) Muhammed Adamu to investigate and prosecute the online publisher for circulating fake information to the public.
“We do not support fake news, get your facts before publication. Enough for misleading information in the society,” Shalokpe said.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Rabiu Sani Ali (NAN)
The Nigerian Police has assured that it would provide adequate security to residents of Bwari Area Council of the FCT during the lockdown period ordered by the Federal Government.
CSP Biodun Makanjuola, Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Bwari Police Division, gave the assurance in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Abuja.
Makanjuola, who allayed fears of any security challenge that may erupt during the extention, said that the force have put in place strategies to ensure law and order among residents.
He also said that although the Force would ensure compliance to the restriction order, it would do so with caution and persuasion so as to avoid negative response from residents.
“We are using persuasive methods, giving more enlightenment on the pandemic in the process and the need to stay at home during this period,” he added.
The DPO said that the Force would also ensure that restrictions on market days were adhered to according to the FCT administration’s order of three days a week.
According to him, vehicular movement were also monitored strictly as the Division has impounded a number of motorcycles from their owners who violated the law.
He urged all residents in the area to help make the job easier by abiding to the laws and regulations of government so as to avoid being caught in any unlawful act.
NAN recalls that President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday in a nationwide broadcast, announced a two weeks extension of lockdown in Lagos and Ogun states, including the FCT, to contain the spread of the Corona virus.
Mr Adamu Cyril, a resident of Bwari told NAN that the move, although was for the greater good, might however, bring about frustrations from some quarters.
This, he said, was especially when the cry of hunger has become the order of the day.
“Everything is just alien to us all; It is very difficult to restrict people from what they are used to doing even though we know it is a life and death situation, but sincerely it is not easy.
“All the food some people have stocked up for their families earlier has been exhausted and there’s no means of income for businessmen and women.
“Right now, we can only pray that things just get better and not worse.”
Another resident, Mr Philip Aboi said that the move was a welcome development as long as the government would ensure safety of residents.
Aboi said that putting the health of the nation was paramount as long as the goal was achieved at the end.
Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)
the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Mani Division, received a complaint that one Musa Suleiman, 25, of Ali Yaba village, conspired with one Shafa’atu Sirajo, 20, and administered a noxious substance, popularly known as “Zaqami” in the food that was served to the guests in a wedding.
“Consequently, 19 persons that ate the food, fell sick and became unconscious.
“The DPO and his team rushed the victims to Mani General Hospital for medical treatment,” he said.
Isah said two of the victims Bilkisu Surajo, 20, and Ibrahim Sani, 13, were confirmed dead by the attending physician, while the remaining victims were admitted for treatment.
The spokesman said that the command had arrested the two suspects, who would be arraigned in court on conclusion of investigation.
Edited By: Kevin Okunzuwa/Maharazu Ahmed