The Police Command in Niger on Tuesday confirmed an attack by a vigilance group on the Kagara Divisional Police Station in Rafi Local Government Area of the state.
Abiodun said that on Oct.12, at about 08: 30 hours, information revealed that members of a vigilante from Tashan Kare village numbering over 50 fifty reported at the Kagara Division.
He said this followed an attack on their village by bandits on Oct.11, at about 22: 30 hours during which about four members of the group lost their lives while confronting the bandits before the arrival of the police.
He said while the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) was addressing the vigilantes on the efforts made by the police to flush out the bandits, some members of the vigilance group became violent and attacked the police station.
In the process, the PPRO said, one of the vigilantes attempted to snatch a rifle from the station guard, and got shot and he sustained gunshot wound.
On receipt of the information, he said, the Commissioner of Police dispatched a re-enforcement team led by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Operations and they restored normalcy in the area.
He said that the command had already launched a full scale investigation to unravel the root cause of the incident.
The command urged the people of the state to be law abiding and not to take laws into their hands, no matter the provocation.( NAN)
Edited By: Abdullahi Yusuf
The Ekiti police command has confirmed the recovery of three vehicles abandoned by an armed robbery gang that invaded a bank in Iyin-Ekiti on Friday afternoon.
The command disclosed this in a statement, signed by Mr Sunday Abutu, its Public Relations Officer, on behalf of the State Commissioner of Police, Mr Tunde Mobayo.
According to the statement, the three vehicles were recovered with some Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), some raps of Indian hemp, alcoholic drinks and two cell phones.
The command said the robbers, numbering ten and heavily armed, stormed the Iyin-Ekiti branch of WEMA Bank at about 3:55pm. They came in a Volkswagen Golf car, marked GED 906 AA, one Acura MDX Jeep, marked LSR 327 CD, and a Toyota Camry car with Reg. No GED 106 ER.
The statement said the gang members overpowered the policemen on guard at the bank due to their large number before gaining entrance into the banking hall.
The command noted that, though an undisclosed amount of cash was carted away during the operation, no casualty was recorded.
The statement enjoined the residents not to be panic, saying, “serious effort is ongoing to ensure the arrest of the suspects”.
It disclosed that “a swift reinforcement from the Police to the scene forced the robbers retreat with the three vehicles. But the Police Operatives gave the armed robbers a hot chase, exchanged fire with them during which they abandoned the three vehicles and took to their heels into the forest.
“The Operatives of the Ekiti State Police Command which comprises the PMF, SARS, SAFER HIGHWAY as well as the local Vigilante group, led by the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), are currently combing the bush for the possible arrest of the suspects.
“The command implores all the good people of Ekiti State to be vigilant and report to the nearest Police Station any suspicious movements or suspected persons or groups of persons they see in their Communities or call Police Control Room on phone Number 08062335577,” the statement added.
Edited By: Vincent Obi
The Ogun Command of the Nigeria Police Force has arrested four persons for allegedly being in possession of a human skull.
Mr Abimbola Oyeyemi, the state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), disclosed this in a statement issued in Abeokuta on Monday.
Oyeyemi said that the suspects, names withheld, were arrested on Sept. 25.
He said the Odogbolu Police Division received a piece of information that some people were digging up a grave with the aim of removing the corpse of someone who was not in anyway related to them.
“The Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Odogbolu Division, Afolabi Yusuf, led his detectives to the scene, but the suspects had already removed the head of the corpse and left.
“The police then embarked on an intelligence-based investigation which led to the arrest of the couple and two others.
“The three of them confessed being the persons that dug the grave and removed the head of the corpse.
“They later took detectives to Ikenne, where the fourth person who asked them to bring the head for ritual purpose was apprehended,” he said.
He stated that the state Commissioner of Police, Edward Ajogun, had ordered the immediate transfer of the suspects to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department for further investigation and prosecution.
Edited By: Moses Solanke/Ejike Obeta
The Assistant Inspector-General of Police (AIG) in charge of Zone 10, Mr Muhammad Mustapha, says the attack on Gidan Madi Police Division in Tangaza Local Government area of Sokoto State by bandits will not be left unaddressed.
Mustapha, who is in charge of Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara states, stated this when he led a delegation of police top brass to condole with the family of the deceased Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Aliyu Abubakar, in Sokoto.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Abubakar, and another officer, Insp. Muhammad Abdullahi, attached to the division in Tangaza council area, were, on Thursday, shot dead by unknown gunmen, who invaded the town and engaged the police in a gun battle.
“The deceased was a seasoned police officer who was truly professional. The impact of the loss is felt by the force and it shall not be left unaddressed,” Mustapha said.
Also speaking, the Commissioner of Police in Sokoto State, Mr Ibrahim Kaoje, expressed regret over the killing of the officers, describing it as unfortunate.
He reiterated the command’s avowed commitment to bringing perpetrators of the dastardly act to book.
“On behalf of the command, I regret the unfortunate demise of our officers.
“The deceased were very gallant, hard working and vibrant officers who dutifully and meritoriously served the force,” Kaoje said.
Speaking on behalf of the deceased’s family, Malam Tukur Bawa, a retired Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) and uncle to the late DPO, thanked the delegation and the entire police family for the concern shown to them.
Edited By: Oluyinka Fadare and
Source: NAN‘Wale Sadeeq
The Sokoto State Police Command has confirmed the death of the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) and an Inspector attached to Gidan Madi Division in Tangaza Local Government Area of the state.
The command’s Spokesman, DSP Sadiq Abubakar, told newsmen on Thursday in Sokoto that about 100 unknown gunmen invaded the town and engaged the police in a gun battle.
Abubakar said the incident occured at about 1:30 a.m. and two officers, including Mr Aliyu Bello, the DPO, and Muhammad Abdullahi, an Inspector, were shot death by the the armed men dressed in army camouflage.
He said another ASP Sani Abdullahi sustained injuries and was hospitalised, while the police have drafted senior officers to undertake assessment of the situation.
According to him, emergency meetings were conducted by the police along with sister security agencies, district heads and council administrators.
He reiterated the police commitment to safeguard people’s lives and property and urged citizens to assist the authorities with useful information.
Edited By: Benson Iziama/ Wale Ojetimi
The Police Command in Ogun said it had arrested four men in connection with the death of a policeman, Agada Akoh, who was beaten to death at Dalemo area of Sango Ota on Sept. 13.
Mr Abimbola Oyeyemi, the State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), disclosed this in a statement issued in Abeokuta on Monday.
The PPRO explained that the policeman was beating into coma by some hoodlums at Dalemo bus stop in Sango Ota
He added that the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Godwin Idehai, quickly led his men to the scene where he met the policeman in a pool of blood.
“The officer was quickly rushed to the General Hospital, Ota, for medical care but died while receiving treatment.
“Preliminary investigations revealed that the deceased officer and one other, escorted their principal from Idah in Kogi to Lagos State.
“On their way passing through Sango Ota, a truck driver, Jelili Ismaila, drove dangerously and almost pushed their vehicle off the road.
“While trying not to hit the vehicle conveying the officers, the truck entered a pothole as a result of which its tyre got punctured.
“This made the two policemen to come down and cautioned the truck driver to always be mindful of other road users.
“But the driver accused them of being at fault and mobilised hoodlums who attacked the officers and their principal with dangerous weapons and beat the deceased into coma.
“Having realised that the policeman may not survive the attack, the driver and his hired hoodlums took to their heels but luck ran out of four of them when the DPO and his men on a tip off, stormed their hideout and got them arrested while the others escaped,” the PPRO said.
The state police spokesman stated that the remains of the deceased officer had been deposited at Ota General Hospital mortuary.
He added that the state Commissioner of Police, Edward Ajogun, described the incident as barbaric and an act of lawlessness.
He said that the CP had ordered a massive manhunt for the remaining suspects and also warned that unwarranted attack on his men would not be accepted.
He, therefore, directed that the arrested suspects be transferred to the Homicide Section of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (SCIID) for an in-depth investigation and diligent prosecution.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Wale Ojetimi
Suspected hoodlums and land grabbers on Sunday invaded Isiu palace in Ikorodu, Lagos State in a failed abduction of the newly installed monarch following sporadic gun shots at the premises.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Oba Okukayode Raji was given staff of office by Lagos State Commissioner for Special Duties, Wale Ahmed, on Aug. 24, 2020.
The monarch told NAN that the hoodlums came in dozens with dangerous weapons before the intervention of local vigilante groups that averted their plots and chased them away.
“Suddenly, we started seeing strange faces and many boys coming closer to the palace with different weapons in their hands.
“While they moved closer, they started shooting; one of my sons was wounded in the process.
“My house, my car and many people who came to pay homage to me were also wounded.
“More than 60 people were shot, those who sustained serious injuries have been taken to the hospital for treatment,” the monarch said.
Oba Raji said he contacted the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) and the Area Commander for assistance.
“They responded very late but later sent their officers to patrol the community.
“However, three suspects have been arrested so far,” he said.
The monarch, however, called on community leaders and indigenes to cooperate and solve land matters themselves to ensure absolute peace within the communities.
He also urged the Lagos State Government to intervene to beef up security to curb reoccurrence.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Wale Ojetimi
The Nigeria Police (B Division), Warri, on Monday solicited the coorperation of the media in the fight against crimes in the Delta commercial city and environs.
Igometi said that the media were crucial partners in the operations of the police because of their adequate dissemination of information to the public.
“The media are central in our operations; we need them to reach out to the public and also correct some of the ills in society,” he said
On a teenager, suspected be an internet fraudster, the DPO said the suspect was apprehended in the division sometime ago and bailed by his father.
Igometi said that though the suspect was under-aged, the proceeds from the illicit business was used to buy a car for the father.
“During investigation, it was discovered that the boy was using his father’s bank account to transact the illicit business.
“Internet fraud also known as ‘Yahoo Yahoo’ is becoming worrisome in the society.
“To curtail these excesses, the police must offend some people. I detained the boy not knowing the father was the custodian,” he said.
Responding, the Chairman of the Warri correspondents’ chapel, Mr Okies Veeky, assured the visitor of the members’s utmost cooperation.
Edited By: Ejike Obeta (NAN)
Mr Victor Okpara, counsel to alleged kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike (alias Evans), on Thursday said that the police hastily paraded the suspect without obtaining a statement from him.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Okpara made the claim at the resumed trial of Onwuamadike on Thursday before an Ikeja High Court.
Thursday’s proceedings involved two trials – a trial-within-trial for the attempted kidnapping of Chief Vincent Obianodo, the Chairman of the Young Shall Grow Motors, and trial for kidnap of a businessman, Mr Sylvanus Ahamonu.
In the Obianodo case,
Onwuamadike is being tried alongside Joseph Emeka, Chiemeka Arinze and Udeme Upong.
Cross-examining the Investigating Police Officer (IPO) Insp. Idowu Haruna, in the trial-within-trial of Onwuamadike and his co-defendants for the attempted kidnap of Obianodo, Okpara noted that he was arrested on June 10, 2017.
“He was paraded the next day as a kidnapper without first giving a formal police statement.
“His capture was celebrated nationwide, he was paraded on June 11, 2017, and you immediately concluded that you had arrested a notorious kidnapper before his statement was taken.
“The statement of the defendant was recorded for the first time on July 1, 2017. His statement was taken without his lawyer being present.
“I can also confront you with photographs alleging serious beating of the first defendant (Onwuamadike) while he was in your custody,” he said.
The IPO, in his response, admitted that Onwuamadike’s statement was not taken immediately he was arrested at his Magodo, Lagos, residence.
Haruna that he wrote Onwuamadike’s statement and read it aloud to him.
The IPO noted that the first defendant, in his statement, did not say that he would opt out of having a lawyer present.
Haruna also testified that that he never heard of the legal options which could have been available to him such as Legal Aid Council and Justice of the Peace.
“You claim to be a crack detective; in all the other cases, there were video recordings of his alleged confessions.
“I put it to you that there was a deliberate attempt not to video-record this interview,” Okpara said.
While being cross-examined by prosecution counsel, Mr Yusuf Sule, Haruna shed more light on why Onwuamadike’s statement was not immediately taken by police when he was apprehended.
“Immediately the first defendant was arrested, he gave numerous information on other gang members and his victims.
“It took us a lot of time to be able to investigate and get information on this case.
“We had to liaise with the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of Festac. That is where he gave his statement,” Haruna said.
NAN reports that the defendants face a seven-count charge of murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to commit kidnapping, attempt to kidnap and sales and transfer of firearms.
According to the prosecution, Onwuamadike and his three co-defendants committed the offences on Aug. 27, 2013, on Third Ave., Festac, Town Lagos.
Onwuamadike and his accomplices are alleged to have killed Mr Chijioke Ngozi and attempted to kill and kidnap Obianodo.
The prosecution also alleged that in 2008, Upong sold and transferred two AK47 rifles and 70 rounds of live ammunition to Onwuamadike.
In the second trial involving
Onwuamadike and Victor Aduba, a dismissed member of the Nigerian Army, Okpara also alleged that the police hastily concluded that Onwuamadike
collected a 420,000 dollars as ransom from Ahamonu based solely on the allegation of the complainant.
“He wasn’t arrested on June 28, 2014, on the day of the alleged incident but years later, and prior to the victim (Ahamonu) giving his statement, you had not had any contact with the victim.
“In Exhibit A (the statement), the victim talked about assassins and not kidnappers. He said they talked about killing him and not kidnapping him.
“The 420,000 dollars were paid in three tranches by Ahamonu’s brother, Dominic ($200,000), Ahamonu’s wife ($200,000) and one Onyebuchi ($20,000).
“Did you go through bank records to ascertain whether money was withdrawn, and the source of the alleged ransom?
“Did you also trace the phone numbers used to negotiate the alleged ransom?
“Did you do a fingerprint analysis of the guns recovered from their alleged hideout at Igando?,” Okpara asked.
Responding, Haruna testified that the allegation of $420,000 ransom being paid was based solely on Ahamonu’s statement to the police.
He also said that bank records were not traced during the investigation.
“We did not do a fingerprint analysis of the guns recovered from their hideout at Igando.
“For security reasons, I cannot reveal the numbers used to call during the incident.
“We did not match those numbers with those used to call the defendant due to issues with the service provider.
“The $420,000 ransom was paid in the dead of the night,” Haruna said.
While being cross-examined by Aduba’s counsel, Mr Emmanuel Ochai, Haruna explained the role of the dismissed soldier in the kidnap of Ahamonu.
“The second defendant (Aduba) did not negotiate ransom; he collected the ransom.
“After he was arrested, he was first taken to an army barracks for disciplinary action.
“Four AK47 and AK49 rifles were used for the operation,” Haruna said.
NAN reports that the duo faces a four-count charge of kidnapping and unlawful possession of firearms.
They are accused of kidnapping
Mr Sylvanus Ahamonu on June 28, 2014, at Saka St., Amuwo-Odofin in Lagos.
They allegedly held him hostage for at least nine weeks and collected a ransom of 420,000 dollars from his family.
Both trials were adjourned by Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo until Sept. 17, for continuation.
Edited By: Ijeoma Popoola (NAN)
The Katsina State Police Command says it has killed eight suspected bandits in Batsari local government area of the state.
The Command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Gambo Isah, disclosed this in statement on Saturday in Katsina.
He said that on Aug. 6, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) Batsari, led Operation Puff Adder to Zamfarawa village based on report that bandits numbering over 40, armed with AK 47 rifles attacked the village.
He said that the bandits shot to death one Shafi’i Suleiman, 65 and Yakubu Idris, 70, adding that they also rustled a number of cows in the area.
According to him, the police team was ambushed by the bandits on their way to the village, adding that the team responded and killed one of the bandits, while others escaped with gunshot wounds.
Isah further revealed that the team recovered 30 cows stolen from the village by the bandits.
Subsequently, he explained that on Aug. 7, “search parties led by the DPO and members of the community recovered additional seven corpses of the bandits who escaped with gunshot wounds at Barankada village, also in Batsari local government area,” he said.
Isah said that police recovered the sum of N22,300, 13 empty shells of live ammunition of 7.62mm as well as bunch of charms and keys from the bodies of the dead bandits.
Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)