Alhaji Muhammad Zayyanu-Abdullahi, the Emir of Yauri in Kebbi State, on Thursday lauded the efforts of President Muhammadu Bihari-led administration for extending infrustructure development to his emirate.
He made the commendation while receiving the Managing Director, National Inland Water Ways (NIWA) on a courtesy visit in his palace in Yauri, Yauri Local Government Area of Kebbi State.
He identified some of the projects executed by President Buhari’s administration to include road construction from Koko to Yauri and connecting Yauri alongside nine other local government areas with national grid, 33 KV line.
Others according to him, are establishment of HYPADEC and appointment of an indegene of Yauri emirate as pioneer boss, establishment of Ngaski Tomatoes Factory and the Federal College of Education Technical, Yauri.
“I don’t think if there is any place in Kebbi State where the Federal Government showed its presence more than Yauri; therefore, on behalf of myself, our Senator, the Emirate and the entire people of Yauri, I want to extend our profound gratitude to God Almighty and then to the Federal Government under the leadership of President Muhammadu Bihari.
“We had experienced serries of banditry, but today, we thank God, a troop of Nigerian Army is now stationed here and our people can now go to farm and cultivate their crops peacefully,” he said.
Earlier, the Managing Director, NIWA, Dr George Moghalu, told the emir that they were in his palace to seek royal blessings, support and cooperation towards the success of the agency.
He said the visit to Yauri was the second to the emirate and hoped that the relationship between the agency and the emirate would be sustained for the good of all.
While appreciating the reception accorded to him by the emirate, Moghalu extended a hand of friendship and invitation to the emir to be in Abuja or Lokoja.
The MD said his visit was in fulfilment of the promise that he was coming back to Yauri for an important activity – foundation laying of boat station in Yauri Emirate.
The Senator representing Kebbi South, Bala Ibn Na’Allah, assured the emir of support and cooperation to bring anything that would propell rapid growth and development of Yauri Emirate.
He said it was part of their promises to open up Yauri to get access to Mali up to Bokinafaso, through water transportation.
Na’Allah also said that they once pledged to construct a modern boat station, assuring that “today, we are going to lay the foundation here in Yauri Emirate.
“This is a modern boat station where all the passengers travelling by water will comfortably seat, relax and formally register; in case of anything God forbid, number and names of people onboard will be available.
”The lawmaker promised to continue to do everything possible to bring positive development to Yauri Emirate.
The President, Yauri Development Association (YDA) Alhaji Abubakar Umar, said one of the objectives of setting up NIWA was to develop infrustructural facilities and ensure effective inter modern transport system in line with global best practice.
He described Kebbi State as a gateway of River Niger into Nigeria, saying it covered the point of entry.
Gov. Mai Mala Buni of Yobe on Wednesday donated three houses to the three widows of late Sheikh Goni Aisami, an Islamic cleric recently murdered in the state.
Presenting the houses’ documents to the Emir of Bade in Gashua, Alhaji Abubakar Umar Suleiman, Gov. Buni said the donation was in fulfilment of his promise to support Goni’s family.
Represented by Ustaz Babagana Kyari, Special Adviser to the Governor on Religious Affairs, Buni said the widows had houses of their own to look after their children.
Responding, Suleiman thanked the governor for the love and support to the family of the renown cleric.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Buni had earlier offered automatic employment to two children of the deceased.
NAN recalls that Aisami, a native of Gashua, was allegedly shot dead on Aug. 19 by two soldiers in Jaji-Maji, Karasuwa Local Government Area of the state.
On Aug. 27, Lance Cpl John Gabriel and Lance Cpl Adamu Gideon were dismissed by the Nigerian Army, and handed over to Police Command in the state for prosecution.
The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) said it was working with security and intelligence agencies to track and arrest all prisoners who escaped from Kuje and other correctional centres.
Mr Abubakar Umar, the NCoS spokesman, told the News Agency of Nigeria on Thursday in Abuja that the collaboration also involved the provision of tight security in all correctional centres nationwide.
He said that it was important for security agencies to work together in order to end existing and emerging security threats in the country.
Umar said that security agencies such as the military, Police, Civil Defence and others, had been very helpful to the correctional service.
“Though there has been a robust collaboration among the security agencies especially where we have high profile inmates in our facility being guarded by the Police, DSS, along with our armed squad, but more is still required.
“Above all, intelligence has to be increased if our quest to tackle the ugly trend headlong is to be realised,” he added.
The spokesman said that the NCoS Controller General had directed the service armed squad to gather more information that could help in re-arresting the fleeing inmates.
“We are also in collaboration with the Ministry of Defence, office of the National Security Adviser and other intelligence and security agencies to ensure that the fleeing inmates were re-captured and brought back into our facility.
“So far, the synergy has yielded positive results as quite a number of them have been re-arrested, but unfortunately some are still on the run, but there is no way they will not be re-captured,“ Umar said.
He appealed to the general public to provide useful information to security agencies that could lead to the re-arrest of the remaining fleeing inmates He assured that the service had taken measures to forestall further attacks on correctional centres nationwide.
The spokesman said that as a red zone, the custodial facilities would be fully protected from intruders.
Umar, however, expressed concern over the encroachment of residential homes into areas designated as buffer zones around correctional centres.
“The lack of buffer zones is seriously militating against effective security of our facilities in the country,“ he added.
He agreed that the encroachment was largely due to increase in population and urbanisation, but said the trend must stop.
“In states where we have such residential buildings close to our facilities, we do appeal to the relevant agencies to assist in halting such encroachment.
“However, the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, as well as the Comptroller-General of NCoS, Haliru Nababa, are working together to addressed it,“ Umar added.
The NCoS spokesman also said that work on the 3,000-capacity correctional centres across the six geo-political zones of the country were ongoing.
“Construction work is already ongoing in Karshi, FCT and in Kano State, while another one is ongoing in Port Harcourt.
“These 3,000-capacity structures have all the facility required of a modern correctional centre, and there is a buffer zone created in them that does not allow encroachment of any nature,“ he said.
The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) has dismissed reports that fleeing inmates from the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje, during the attack, stole money (local and foreign currencies) belonging to their fellow inmates
The Service Public Relations Officer (SPRO), Mr Abubakar Umar confirmed this in a statement on Saturday in Abuja.
Some media reports had alleged that personnel at the Kuje Custodial Centre could not account for the sums of N82 million and $36,000 cash belonging to inmates.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that scores of terrorists had on July 5, launched a daring attack on the facility, bombing their way in.
They freed 879 inmates, among whom were at least 64 who terror-related charges are on their necks.
Umar however, explained that its personnel did not keep such huge sums within custodial facilities.
He said that the clarification became imperative against the misleading narrative the unfounded information had generated and the diversion of attention from addressing the challenges at stake.
According to him, all Inmates’ cash deposited in the custody of the authorities of the custodial centre was intact and safe.
“There is an existing instruction from the Controller General , NCoS, Mr Haliru Nababa that all officers superintending custodial centres must not keep huge sums in the facility,” he said.
Umar reported Nababa as sparing no effort or resources in hunting down all the escapees.
He added that it was heart-warming that the integrated strategies were yielding favourable results.
Nababa expressed appreciation to security agencies and patriotic Nigerians whose collaboration was facilitating the recovery.
He assured the public of his irrevocable commitment to bringing back all escapees to answer for their crimes.
The NCoS boss appealed to citizens to assist in achieving the task by visiting the NCoS website https:.gov. for the pictures of the escapees and alert the nearest security agency on suspicion or seeing any of them.
Gunmen attacked the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) Kuje Medium Security Custodial Centre, Abuja with explosives on Tuesday.The Service Public Relations Officer (SPRO), Mr Abubakar Umar, confirmed this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.Umar said that some yet to be identified gunmen attacked the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje in the Federal Capital Territory about 10pm.“However, men of the Armed Squad of the NCoS and other security agencies attached to the Custodial centre have responded.“Calm has been restored to the facility and the situation is under control. Details will be made available soon, ” he said.
The Kebbi State Government has distributed relief materials to victims of the fire disaster in Local Government Area of the state.
Alhaji Abubakar Umar, a member of the state House of Assembly representing the area, presented the materials to the District Head of Dutsinmari, Alhaji Muhammad Muallahyidi, on behalf of the government in Koko on Monday.
“I am here on behalf of the state government to distribute relief materials, and to extend the sympathy of Gov. Atiku Bagudu and his administration to the victims of the inferno that happened recently.
“We pray Allah to forestall future occurrence of such a disaster.”
Umar also said that the aim of providing the assistance was to cushion the effects of the disaster on the victims.
“We are calling on you to use the gesture appropriately for the purpose it is meant to achieve,” the lawmaker said.
Earlier, Chairman of the local government area, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, commended the state government for its quick response to the disaster.
“What we have received as relief for the victims of the incident as provided by the government include cash notes of N2m, 100 bags of assorted grains, 200 textile wrappers and 19 bundles of mat, among others,” he said.
Bello advised the people to continue to be loyal and supportive of government policies and programmes for the provision of more dividends of democracy.
Responding, the district head thanked the state government and the council for the gesture and prayed God to reward them abundantly.
He advised people of the area to be extra- careful while handling fire and should imbibe the culture of environmental hygiene to guard against future occurrence of similar disaster.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the fire incident destroyed over 18 houses, many property and rendered many homeless.
A team of Nigerian doctors have successfully performed free open heart surgeries in Sokoto.
The team members came from the Obafemi Awolowo University Hospital, Ile-Ife, Osun State and the Lagos State University Hospital.
The surgeries were performed at Usmanu Danfodio University Hospital, (UDUTHS) Sokoto, in collaboration with the Nigerian Association of Cardiovascular Surgeons.
At a press conference in Sokoto on Sunday, the leader, Dr. Uvie Inakpoya, said the team was made up of cardiothoracic surgeons, intensive care physicians, anesthesiologists and nurse practitioners.
Inakpoya, national president of the Nigerian Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons, praised UDUTHS for providing the equipment and supplies needed for the surgeries.
He also commended the hospital for supporting workforce development in the area.
He said the surgeries showed that indigenous professionals were up to the task.
He said it was 70 percent cheaper to perform the surgeries locally, using indigenous professionals, compared to what was obtained abroad.
“The cost of surgery in Nigeria is what people pay to travel and have the same surgery abroad.
"We urge governments, donor agencies and other institutions to consider providing alternative funds, such as health coverage and insurance for cardiac surgeries," he said.
He added that around 200 heart surgeries are performed annually around the world, representing a mere 7 percent of people with heart problems.
Speaking earlier, the Head of the UDUTHS Cardiothoracic Surgery unit, Dr. Abubakar Umar, explained that two surgeries were performed and the patients were responding to treatment.
Umar said the exercise was the hospital's third heart surgery mission and that all were successful.
“We work in harmony with visiting physicians and we enjoy working with them.
“During surgeries, we focus on adults, during which one of the most complicated heart surgeries was performed on a patient who had both valves replaced.
"UDUTHS is always ready to work with any organization to improve health problems in Sokoto state and Nigeria in general," said Umar.