By Chiazam George
Global Wissen Consult, a Sweden-Nigerian firm is partnering with education experts in Nigeria to boost digital education and enhance skills acquisition for youths through digital programmes in the country.
Oscar Nwokeji, Co-founder of the firm, said at a stakeholder’s roundtable that its goal was to address digital illiteracy in the country and digitize the Nigerian economy through the deployment of its products.
Nwokeji, at the meeting hosted by the Embassy of Sweden in Abuja, said that Global Wissen Consult, a social development enterprise, was established to pass the light of digital literacy to youths through modern ways of learning.
He said that the firm, which believed in bridging the gaps in digital learning for youths in Nigeria, also poised to provide individuals with everything needed to survive in today’s digital world.
According to him, the firm offers and runs digital entrepreneurship and skills members clubs in universities. This club provides students with the knowledge, tools and skills needed to leverage the digital space.
The programme is with the theme “why digital literacy is crucial for your child’s future.”
The programme, which is designed for students as a platform that offers everything needed to leverage the digital space, brought together students, parents, the university community and education experts.
“The ongoing digital evolution in Africa has prompted us to ensure that the youths are at the forefront of this change.
“We are aware that there is still a huge percentage of ignorance and digital literacy as opposed to the number of people who have caught up with the digital transformation and have equipped themselves with the right skills.
“That is why we have taken it upon ourselves as an organization to ensure that the digital light is being passed on to our vibrant youths and the general public.
“Our goal is to ensure that Nigeria economy is digitized by ensuring that the youths have the right skill through various means,” he said.
According to him, the digital economy is actually achievable that is why the firm is also putting more effort to achieve this goal.
He said that was why the firm organised such an event like this, where parents and university officials could meet and fashion a way forward.
He said that the event was to sensitise stakeholders about countless opportunities in the digital space, create awareness among guardians on the benefits of ensuring their children are digitally literate and skilled.
He said that from findings, Nigerians have digital skills with competent entrepreneurs, hence the development of the digital economy would not be a problem.
“The Swedish government is supporting the project 100 per cent. We are making things also attractive to other Swedish companies to come into Nigeria,” he said.
Ambassador of Sweden to Nigeria, Carl Michael Grans, lauded the initiative of the firm which he said would help Nigerians take advantage of digital space for skill development.
The ambassador believed that the operations of the enterprise would also increase the employability rate among young people.
“One of our main targets is to work together with universities to ensure that all students are digitally literate and equipped for the world, and for the future.
The envoy stressed the importance of skill acquisition, especially in the digital field to help the youth and address the problem of unemployment in the country.
“You need to reach out, and the pandemic has really shown us the solution of digital, so you need the skills to learn. And you need digital skills to get employed. It is really the future of Nigeria and Nigerian youths,” he said.
The ambassador hinted that the Swedish government had been trying to support its companies that are working in Nigeria, in many different ways and with the focus now shifting to the digital field.
“Global Wissen Consult is one of such companies, there others as well that we are trying to help them introduce their services,” he said.
Former Minister of Labour and a Corporate Lawyer, Adetokunbo Kayode, at the occasion, stressed the importance of skill acquisition to make a graduate employable.
Kayode, an International Arbitrator, said that skill was very important and very much more important than the certificate obtained at the age of 16 or 17 more important than the certificate we take around.
“I see that the theme of the programme is focusing on the opportunity in digital skill; it is very apt because that is what is driving the world.
“So, I like to say that having something with your certificate is very important.”
The Tax Expert said that there should be a change of narrative in the education community.
“All schools, higher or tertiary institutions, whether polytechnic or university must or should insist that every student acquire additional skill in addition with what they studied in school.
“I want to encourage parents that a certificate is not enough to make the student what he is supposed to be.
“It is discovered that many of the graduates we have today may not be employable unless they have something in addition to the knowledge acquired in school,” he said.
According to him, there is a skill divide and it is something that we need to bridge through digital knowledge.
Kayode said that “the skill acquisition is a must to acquire either before or after graduation.
“I challenge all our students to learn additional skills to become employable. If you have a degree certificate and you are not employable you will not be fulfilled.
“I want to urge the universities to include skill acquisition in their curriculum and I want the NUC to also work closely on this.
“Before you get to university or finish your programme, endeavour to acquire a skill, there is no need to hurry about the certificate,” he said. www.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3C59
- Philippines’ Manny Pacquiao to run for president in 2022
- Burundi rebel group claims airport attack
- Caregiver advocates end to ageism
- Macron, Biden to talk in ‘coming days’ about submarines spat
- Macron, Biden to talk in 'coming days' about subs spat
- Burundi: Young People and Women become a Driving Force of Social Cohesion
- Delta Variant: Paediatrician advises adults to wear face mask
- Erdogan says Turkey 'not closed' to dialogue with Armenia
- Orji Kalu commends Buhari over South East visit
- COVID-19: Nigeria records 336 new infection, 5 deaths
- Putin's party set to retain parliament majority after polls
- Global Forum Secretariat, African Development Bank and World Bank Group deliver new manual on Exchange of Information for tax purposes
- Under-fire Australian minister resigns over anonymous donation
- Improving Public Health Surveillance and Response in South Sudan
- 2023 poll: Tinubu Support Group takes off in October – Lawmaker
- IS-linked terror group leader shot dead in Indonesia’s jungle
- Switching to Good Health: Nigeria’s Mama Put turn to LPGas use
- Marwa cautions tricyclists against transporting drugs and traffickers
- Runsewe bags China man of the year award
- National Unity: NYSC holds cultural carnival in FCT
- Ogun Govt. To Coronate First Onirete Of Irete-Ijebu
- Nigeria needs cutting-edge AI applications for medicine, others–Osinbajo
- Buhari commiserates with Algerian President over Bouteflika’s death
- FG restates commitment to girl-child education
- President Buhari attends UNGA in New York
- Police arrest 259 suspects over alleged banditry, other crimes in Niger
- NYSC Inter-Platoon Drill Competition: Corp members performance unique says Lagos Coordinator
- West African leaders push Guinea strongman on swift elections
- Aisha Buhari Cup: NFSC to mobilise more fans to watch competitions
- Aisha Buhari Cup: NFSC to mobilise more fans to watch competitions
- Tunisian protesters demand end to president's power grab
- Marburg Virus Disease – Guinea – Disease Outbreak News
- U.S. Announces New Support for Public Health in Ghana’s Ashanti Region
- Campaign Against Violence Launched with Support from PEPFAR
- Ambassador A.Sidoruk meets Ambassador of the Republic of Botswana
- Iran leader reasserts ban on sports with Israel
- Dar Scales Up Trade with East African Community (EAC), Southern African Development Community (SADC)
- Coronavirus: Vaccinations Ramp up in Africa
- Three blasts kill at least two in Afghanistan's Jalalabad
- UNESCO Launches the Portuguese version of its Toolkit for the Judiciary in Africa
- Fresh Impetus for Palm Tree Production
- Eritrea: Release Journalists and Politicians Arrested 20 Years Ago
- The Republic of Zimbabwe Deposits the Instrument of Ratification of the African Medicines Agency (AMA)
- Joint Statement on Dispute Between the President and Prime Minister
- Sudan Humanitarian Fund Project Helps Children Affected by Conflict
- Merkel party learns to campaign again as election looms
- Djibouti’s First National Strategy on Migration Targets Challenges from Horn of Africa
- Police trampled, hundreds arrested in Melbourne anti-lockdown protest
- IOM Relocates Over 17,000 People Uprooted by Conflict in Northern Ethiopia to New Shelter
- Gun-toting Taliban mingle with families and kids at Kabul Zoo
- Politicians causing security breaches in Kogi — Commissioner
- Argentina's president reshuffles cabinet after political crisis
- IOM’s First Psychosocial Counselling Master’s Degree in Nigeria Aims to Benefit Victims of Conflict
- Oyo Govt to Resolve Bottlenecks impeding Implementation of BESDA for Out-of-School Children
- Venezuela’s Maduro in Mexico on first foreign trip since US accusations
- Algeria’s ex-president Abdelaziz Bouteflika dies aged 84
- FIRS says CSOs needs to register for tax, obtain TIN
- Shell restates commitment to R & D, Nigerian Content Devt
- UNESCO partners FRIN to approve 20 global biosphere reserves
- Total Energies, NNPC to strengthen partnership
- Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean join forces to drive circularity
- World on ‘catastrophic’ path to 2.7C warming: UN chief
- US Capitol braced for rally supporting January 6 rioters
- African Development Bank’s SEFA grant to support first Super Energy Service Company (ESCO) in East Africa
- Nigeria tasks ECOWAS on prompt transition to civil rule in Guinea
- South Sudan government pledges funding for International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) commitments on sexual and reproductive health
- Triple planetary crisis, green recovery top agenda at African Ministerial Conference on the Environment
- US threatens new sanctions over fighting in Ethiopia's Tigray region
- Amal Clooney named Sudan adviser to ICC prosecutor
- Ensure bold African solutions and speak with a single, strong and unified voice at COP26
- Nigeria’s Reeddi Capsules, others make shortlist for Prince William environment prize
- African Carbon Markets and the Journey to a Net-Zero Future
- Blinken urges more normalization with Israel on anniversary
- Taliban replace women's ministry with notorious vice department
- NACCIMA seeks NEPZA’s assistance to stop big industries migration
- Coronavirus: Tanzania economic recovery plans impress IMF
- WHO and the Government of Japan establish a port health facility at Juba International Airport to enhance public health security in South Sudan
- Tourism will complement our economic agenda in Anambra- Andy Uba
- West African leaders to meet Guinea junta
- UNMISS Child Protection trains 60 members of South Sudan’s armed forces on child rights
- FG to complete Cham-Numan road by December
- The President of Tanzania, Merck Foundation CEO, The Prime Minister of TOGO, and Vice Presidents of Uganda and Benin named as Most Influential African Women
- China’s South-South Cooperation helps WFP improve mobile app that links Zambian smallholder farmers to markets
- Co-operation the key to achieving Africa’s ideals, say participants in intra-Africa business conference
- Africa Investment Forum to host third Market Days in Abidjan, December 1-3, 2021
- Coronavirus: WHO affirms support for COVID-19 traditional medicine research
- Orji Kalu calls for better united, peaceful Nigeria
- Bybit Launchpad Debuts With BIT Token Listing
- FG restates commitment to return refugees to Nigeria
- Nestlé unveils plans to support the transition to a regenerative food system
- Bybit Launchpad estreia com listagem de token BIT
- North Korea rebukes ‘double-dealing’ US after missile launch
- Infantino reveals how Nigeria can host FIFA competitions
- Indian military seeks to strengthen ties with Nigerian Army
- FIFA President hails football’s power for unity and celebration during Nigeria visit
- Aisha Buhari counsels parents to encourage girl-child to embrace Football
- African Enterprise Excellence In Digital Transformation Celebrated At SAP Quality Awards For Customer Success
- Sultan assures corps members of security
- Cholera outbreak- WHO supports Niger State to strengthen sanitation systems
- ECOWAS resorts to sanctions over Guinea, Mali coups
- Press Release on the AU Multidimensional Need Assessment and Technical Mission to Mali from 20 – 25 September 2021
- Navalny app removed as Russians vote after crackdown
- Myanmar junta to put Suu Kyi on trial for corruption
- 'Ebola is defeated', says Congolese professor who discovered virus
- Pharmaceutical company reasserts commitment to achieving zero malaria tolerance
- 77 teachers smile home with laptops in Surulere, Lagos
- Defection: President Buhari welcomes Femi Fani-Kayode to APC
- Lack of fice hinders women participation in politics – Emir
- 85, 265MT of LPG supplied nationwide in August – PPPRA
- African Development Bank’s SEFA provides $1 million to kick off modernization of Africa’s Hydropower Fleet
- DPR seals 11 illegal gas plants, 2 petrol stations in Abuja
- Africa faces 470m COVID-19 vaccine shortfall in 2021 – WHO
- Wada Maida’s daughter lauds FG for naming HQ after father
- Somali president withdraws PM’s powers in escalating row
- China fully vaccinates more than 1 billion people
- Angola’s National Oil, Gas and Biofuel’s Agency (ANPG) Highly Satisfied with Final Results from 2020 Bid Round
- Alert raised over quake surge around Canaries volcano
- Our chairman is hale, hearty – EFCC
- Putin to attend 2022 Beijing Olympics: minister
- In Dialogue with Eswatini, Committee on the Rights of the Child welcomes legislative progress and asks about child Health
- West Africa bloc ECOWAS meets over Guinea coup
- Meet Africa’s New Generation of Health Innovators
- Kenyans voice fury over fuel price hike
- Coronavirus: Africa faces 470 million COVID-19 vaccine shortfall in 2021
- The International Organization for Migration is calling on Journalists to enter the inaugural West and Central Africa Migration Journalism Award 2021
- Majority of fans favour more frequent men’s FIFA World Cups – global survey
- Short Stories on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by African Young People
- AMISOM conducts field inspection of ongoing Quick Impact Projects in Baidoa
- UNESCO steps up efforts for biodiversity conservation with the designation of 20 new biosphere reserves
- International Islamic Trade Finance Corporation signs ten high-level Trade Agreements representing more than US$1.2bn
- The Gambia Launches Ambitious Renewable Energy Projects (By Miguel Artacho)
- Biden backs top general on calls to China over Trump mental state
- Philippines’ Duterte will not cooperate with ICC drug war probe
- Pandemics: UK expert advises Nigerian leaders, others on collaborations
- At least 50 killed in Yemen clashes: military sources
- Ghana launches National Breastfeeding Week
- White House offers Nicki Minaj phone call after viral vaccine claims: reports
- New South Sudan Parliament can ‘infuse urgency’ into peace process
- Putin says dozens in Kremlin inner circle have Covid
- ‘Kill them’: Philippines’ Duterte wages war on drugs
- Indian peacekeepers in Malakal teach youth carpentry, welding, masonry and more
- Hapag-Lloyd inaugurates its own representation in Morocco
- Ugo Obasi joins Ingenico to drive new business in Nigeria and West Africa
- President of Egypt Receives Credentials of Qatari Ambassador
- United Nations Police (UNPOL) builds community policing capacities to bolster safety and security of residents on Tonj south
- Liquid Intelligent Technologies connects the Democratic Republic of Congo and Congo Brazzaville with high-speed connectivity using wireless optical communication technology
- Secretary-General of Ministry of Foreign Affairs Meets the Ethiopian Ambassador
- Envoy fears heightened abductions as Nigeria schools resume
- ECOWAS meets today to decide next step on Guinea
- DPR targets N3.2 trillion revenue by December 2021
- I have no apologies saying Buhari has good heart – Umahi
- Nigeria to assist DR Congo to establish national fire service
- Chimamanda tasks German Chancellor Merkel on power deal
- FG says 25 % of diseases in Nigeria caused by mycotoxins – Minister
- Yahaya Bello’s aide bags ECOWAS students’ leadership award
- Aisha Buhari Cup: Nigeria’s Super Falcons beat Mali 2 – 0
- Mass personal data theft from Paris Covid tests — World — – Nigeria and World News
- Nigeria donates cricket equipment to Cameroon, Sierra Leone
- Three US ex-intelligence officials admit to hacking for UAE
- Successful Conferences in Angola, Nigeria, South Sudan, and South Africa Demonstrate that Africa is not Closed for Business
- Pope says abortion is murder, urges 'pastoral' approach
- book — World — – Nigeria and World News
- COVID-19 vaccination: Health care board alleges sharp practices by health workers
- Senate passes bill to establish medical sciences varsity in Iyin-Ekiti
- Child marriage, violation of human rights – Group
- New study challenges understanding of pandemic preparedness and resilience in Africa
- NOUN, FCTA take cholera sensitisation to FCT Community
- Truecaller Crosses 500 Customer Milestone For Its Business Offering
- Cellulant, Ecobank and GAINDE 2000 Sign a Partnership with KenTrade to Provide a Payment Gateway to Enhance Service Delivery
- Haiti PM sacks prosecutor who accused him of links to president's murder
- BudgIT urges govt functionaries to sustain discipline, accountability
- Embracing Green Hydrogen: African Energy Week in Cape Town Emphasizes African Hydrogen Opportunities, Resource Value, and Potential Markets
- Survey Finds Poaching is Increasing Across Africa and Wildlife Rangers are Bracing for Impact Amidst the Ongoing Impacts of Covid-19
- West Africa bloc to review steps after Guinea coup
- Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG) partners with Invest Africa, the leading trade and investment platform, to support Africa’s sustainable recovery
- Shoot further and capture wider, with Canon’s new RF lenses
- African Development Bank approves a $50 million Multinational Trade Finance Risk Participation Agreement facility for Standard Chartered Bank
- Buhari transmits bill for control of small, light weapon to Reps
- Empowering Africa’s Youth: The launching of the African Energy Chamber’s Energy Pioneers Program (By Leon van der Merwe)
- CORRECTION: African Energy Chamber (AEC) Launches Energy Pioneers Program to bring more Africans and Young people into the energy industry
- UK PM to reshuffle cabinet later Wednesday: govt source
- Africa Should Rethink Business Models For Impact And Sustainability
- DR Congo: Massacres Persist Despite Martial Law
- Liberia Concludes Three-Day Training to Strengthen Event Based Surveillance through Epidemic Intelligence from Open Sources (EIOS)
- The wait is over – Canon’s new sports hero is here to outpace and outperform
- AfDB approves $50m agreement with Standard Chartered Bank
- Global Center on Adaptation and African Development Bank call for applications for the African Youth Adaptation Solutions Challenge
- Nokia and African Telecommunications Union (ATU) to speed up digital transformation and the knowledge economy in Africa
- VAPP: UNFPA, GAC train judicial officers in Bauchi
- Jonathan urges African Leaders to protect continent’s democracies
- Niger State records 100 cholera deaths – Commissioner
- IGP’s wife empowers 50 POWA members in Edo
- Honey Badgers FC to undergo transformation— new chairman
- Cricket W/Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria defeats Cameroon by 10 wickets
- ECOWAS launches Report to tackle illicit drug use, trafficking in region
- Jonathan, Sirleaf, others set for AFBA conference on ending conflicts in Africa
- Despite Implementation of Peace Agreement, Insecurity Persists in Darfur, Sudan Sanctions Committee Chair Tells Security Council
- Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Closes Twenty-Fifth Virtual Session after Adopting its Concluding Recommendations on Djibouti and France
- Fate of California governor in balance in recall vote
- Let us buy Covid jabs, pleads Africa
- Senegal´s Mining Industry: A Cornerstone of the National Economy (By Miguel Artacho)
- Pope calls for 'integration' in visit to impoverished Slovak Roma
- Apple issues fix for flaw linked to Pegasus spyware
- Coronavirus: Sierra Leone Receives 113,490 Pfizer Vaccines Donated by the US Government via COVAX Facility
- 1,400 arrests, $8million seized in illegal gambling at Euro – Interpol
- Djibouti says rumours about president’s health are ‘poison’
- National Youth Councils elect the first-ever Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) Youth Advisory Panel
- Vivo Energy Fuels Expansion, Operational Excellence With Transformative Tech Deployment
- Mauritius battles Covid explosion ahead of tourism reopening
- COVID-19: Paucity of funds hits Isolation Centres in Oyo
- Electoral Bill: PDP governors urge NASS to set up conference committee
- NCAA moves to tackle shortage of safety inspectors
- Eritrea- Green Light Committee Monitoring Mission 2021
- Review: NNPC, DPR synergise for value addition in oil, gas sector
- FG joins African countries to commemorate Intellectual Property (IP) day
- Coronavirus – South Africa: Over 217, 000 COVID-19 Shots Given on Monday
- Somalia’s Economy Rebounding from ‘Triple Shock’
- African Union Commission Chairperson Receives Message from Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Women leaders and peacekeepers brief UN Peace Chief on challenges of working for peace in South Sudan
- Paradigm Initiative launches tools of impact in the digital space
- Coronavirus: South Sudan receives its first consignment of Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines through the COVAX Facility
- Building for the future – Can Nigeria do more to support young athletes?
- IsDB Institute Wins ‘Best Islamic Research & Development’ Award for 2021
- Spain says ‘monster’ fire under control after 7 days
- Leading by example for improved nutrition in Malawi
- Putin self-isolates after Covid cases in inner circle
- ReconAfrica Delegation to Attend African Energy Week in Cape Town – Committed to Promoting Namibian Frontier Exploration
- Coronavirus – Tunisia: United States Donates Almost Two Million Vaccines to Tunisia Since July 2021
- Gates Foundation’s Annual Goalkeepers Report Finds Stark Disparities In COVID-19 Impacts
- Tropical storm Nicholas weakens as it heads inland
- Myanmar's Suu Kyi back in court after health no-show
- Peacekeepers Escort Internally Displaced Persons Fetching Water, Violence Against Tambura Women Reduced
- Fidelity Bank grows PBT by 72.4% in 6 months Growth
- Mayor of Houston Endorses U.S.-Africa Energy Forum; Event Emphasizes U.S. Role in Africa’s Energy Future
- DPR reopens 8 petroleum depots sealed by LASPPPA
- UN Launches the First Regional Online Portal to Bring Together all African Countries with Data and Evidence on Sustainable Development
- Cybersecurity: ONSA develops protection plan for critical national information infrastructure
- Boris Johnson's mother, Charlotte Johnson Wahl, dies
- Kaspersky Records Over 2 Million Phishing Attacks in South Africa, Kenya and Nigeria in H1 2021 and Spam Email Still a Threat
- Coronavirus: US boosts Tanzania COVID-19 management
- Coronavirus – Africa: Envoy Asks East African Community (EAC) to Demystify Anti-Vaccination Campaigns
- Ethiopia: Multiple reports of alleged human rights violations in Tigray
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 Update (13 September 2021)
- Indigenous Oil coy impacts 80,194 persons in eye can see initiative
- 1.6m eligible Nigerians fully vaccinated against COVID-19 – NPHCDA
- COVID-19: Delta variant most domit in Nigeria – Minister
- EU launches 25 ‘Youth Sounding Board’ to deepen role of youth in decision making
- Focus on national challenges, minister tells researchers
- NiMet begins academic activities in Katsina
- Merkel labels Balkans EU accession ‘absolute geostrategic interest’