Sudan and France reaffirmed the importance of working for stability and security in Chad to consolidate the pillars of stability in the West African sub-region.
Sudan Sovereign Council Chairman Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan said this when he received French envoy to Sudan Jean-Michel Dumond in Khartoum, the council said in a statement.
The meeting discussed the situation in Chad and the possibility of coordination and common understanding between the two countries for security and stability in Chad and the region in general, Dumond said in the statement.
He also said French President Emmanuel Macron would travel to Chad’s capital N’Djamena for the funeral of the late President Idriss Deby.
Macron’s visit to Chad would be an opportunity to meet leaders and heads of state in the region, Dumond said.
On Tuesday, the Chadian army announced that President Idriss Deby had died from injuries he received last weekend on the front lines of a fight against the rebels.
Battles have raged for days in Kanem province, western Chad, between government forces and armed rebels, killing hundreds.
In the meantime, the French envoy said he had also reviewed with Al-Burhan the arrangements for the Paris conference to support Sudan, initiated by Macron and scheduled for May 17.
“My mission here is to prepare the conference that the French president will organize on May 17 to support the democratic transition in Sudan,” said Dumond after the meeting.
He noted that the conference would mark the reintegration of Sudan into the international community, encourage the return of investors, bankers and businessmen to Sudan and prepare the launch of the Sudanese debt relief process. (Xinhua / NAN)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3z3S
- PDP may lose 2022 governorship poll in Ekiti, Olujimi warns
- Ekiti Govt to embark on rice pyramid project, targets 1m tonnes
- NEDC initiates 35 projects in Taraba – Official
- Ex-President Jonathan says he won’t use political power to punish people
- Organisation offers free medical services to 300 widows, orphans in FCT
- Coronavirus – Zambia: COVID-19 update (April 15, 2021)
- Ekiti Govt. repositions technical colleges to boost vocational skills
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 case update (May 15, 2021)
- Governors’ Forum best platform to discuss issues affecting Nigeria – Jonathan