The reception held at the U.S Consul General’s residence in Ikoyi on Thursday night.
“We have seen tremendous growth in cultural ties between U.S and Nigeria and this has shown over the last year as Burna Boy and Wizkid won a Grammy each while Tekno and Davido anchored the soundtrack of major Hollywood movie ‘Coming to America II’, many artists have signed international deal amongst others.
“U.S has recongnised the role of music in diplomacy as it has laid emphasis on free expression, proposition, democratic and collaborative teamwork as sharing music is one of the best ways to get common ground with people as the appeal of music is truly universal.
“We will keep on ensuring that we offer all the support that we can in order to ensure that the Nigerian music and entertainment industry keep on thriving to greater heights as this is a key factor to strengthening relationships between both countries,” she said.
“Taking the headies to the U.S is another example of this vibrant connection as Atlanta is an important choice for this event.
The Acting U.S Consul-General, Mr Brand Hudspeth noted that African influences were fundamental to the development of American music adding that latter wouldn’t exist in its current form with them.
He added that holding the Headies award in Atlanta is essential to connecting both countries musically
“African influences are so fundamental to the development of American music that the latter wouldn’t exist in its current form today without them.
“When you listen to all form of genre of music, you hear core progression and structure that has roots in Africa and in Nigeria, there are host of talented musicians drawing from the linkages to create some of the hottest music in the world at the moment.
“Also, collaborations between Nigerian and U.S artistes has the pulse that pushes the global scene so this cultural and historical leads are something that should be mentioned about.
Also speaking, Ayo Aimashaun, owner of HipTv and Chief organiser of the Headies Award,
applauded the U.S government for its support and urged relevant authorities to support the entertainment industry in the country.
He added that the award is a platform to showcase Nigerian artists to the world
NAN reports that the event was hosted by Bovi Ugboma and Bright Okpocha popularly known as Basketmouth.
It also featured musical performances by Teni, D’banj, Rema and Oxlade.
Other celebrities at the event were; M.I, Daddy Showkey, Ty Mix, Ayo Makun, Tee A, Kenny Ogungbe, Dayo Adeneye amongst several others.
- 2023: I’ll declare National Security Emergency on inauguration day if elected— Hayatu-Deen
- PDP Primary: Stakeholders urge NWC to respect will of Anambra people
- Fashola seeks public collaboration on road safety, infrastructure protection
- APC constitutes 61-member campaign council for Ekiti State governorship election
- If elected, I will implement a blue print for the immediate growth of Delta – APC female aspirant
- Environmentalists fault EU’s alternative to Russian Gas instead of renewables
- Zamfara APC reconciliation not on personal interest, says ex Gov. Yari
- Experts, veterans charge journalists on professionalism
- Nigeria, others review progress on global migration compact
- NAF free medical outreach excites Kaduna residents
- Ooni urges Oyetola to rely on divine success for his second term
- Average price for 5kg cooking gas increases to N3,800.47- NBS
- Primary : Atiku visits Gombe, confident of PDP delegates’ support
- Ondo assembly passes 2022 OSOPADEC budget into law
- Okada ban: Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement
- Gov. Ugwuanyi sets up, operationalises 10 type-3 PHC centres in Enugu – ENS-PHCDA boss
- WHO urges increased surveillance as COVID-19 cases rise in Americas
- Mali’s withdrawal from G5 Sahel, Joint Force ‘a setback’ for the region
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- CAN, JNI pledge support as FG conducts headcount for teachers, pupils
- Delta traditional rulers to partner CSOs to deepen gains of MDGs
- I’ll complete airport, school projects before leaving office – Fayemi
- ASUU Strike: NANS protests in Ekiti
- British Council to establish Arts, Culture Academy in Nigeria
- Africities 2022 Summit: Backbone of the continent, intermediary cities absorb most of the urban population growth, according to a report co-led by the African Development Bank
- Lagos govt., Polaris Bank unveil N1bn fund to empower artisans
- Nigeria reiterates commitment to implementing GCM agreement in New York
- Okada ban: Lagos residents express divergent views
- Perm Sec. harps on need to revive lost cultural values, traditions
- Businessman arraigned for alleged importation of fake drug
- Enugu: No life lost, nobody injured in Emene incident – Police
- FCTA demolishes over 30 houses in Trademore Estate Lugbe, over flooding
- Salami Panel: Magu will still be prosecuted if indicted despite promotion – Minister
- African Energy Week (AEW) Releases First Video for its Energy Investment Drive
- Troops recover guns, ammunition from insurgents enclave in Imo – Army spokesman
- Couple charged with involuntary manslaughter of housemaid knows fate July 7
- FG, Netherland to intensify efforts at curbing environmental hazards in Nigeria
- Investigating Policy and Business Requisites to Boost Hydrocarbon Investment in Africa
- NGO canvasses for more awareness on laws against SGBV in grassroots
- Agroforestry, Land Use policy to address land degradation – Minister
- African Energy Week calls for nominations to its world-renowned African Energy Awards
- Managing internal boundary crisis key to sustainable development — Ondo deputy governor
- Digitalisation will make public service smarter, faster — Akeredolu
- 25 ships discharge petrol, other items at Lagos ports
- Smart Africa Digital Academy (SADA) Launches its National Digital Academy in Ghana
- Army boss calls for civil society involvement in tackling insecurity
- 10th Youth Development Webinar Program 2022 “Building Youth Resilience: Transition to Green Economy and Beyond”
- Buhari’s support gave me political glory – Bauchi governor
- ICT: NCC begins awareness creation on safety, security for girls
- WHO authorises China’s CanSinoBIO Covid-19 vaccine