Sports Commission boss says featuring overage athletes amounts to killing talents
Gafar said this in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency in Ilorin on Monday.
He said that no athletes from Lagos State that participated at the 5th National Youth Games in Ilorin was outside the primary or secondary school age bracket.
“I sat with my people during the screening to ensure that we present athletes within the stipulated age bracket.
“Those that brought overage athletes to the National Youth Games are telling us that their youths cannot compete effectively with their contemporaries from other states,” Gafar said.
The Lagos Sports Commission boss said that in Lagos State, they discovered talents and nurtured them.
“LSSC does not just discover them only to abandon them.’’
He said the vision of Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State is to make Lagos the sports’ hub of Africa.
“That is the mission statement that we are targeting and following; and we will follow it to the letter,” he said.
He debunked claims that Lagos State came to the Youth Games to dethrone Delta which had dominated the competition for the past years.
“We came in to put in the best that we have, and we also hope to get good results.
“The little results we have had so far are due to hard work and I am most grateful to the athletes for believing in themselves,” Gafar said.
He said the state would continue to improve yearly as it could boast now of athletes who had got national invitations.
Edited by Ifeyinwa Okonkwo/Peter Dada
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC deploys 36,000 personnel, 750 patrol vehicles, ambulances
- OPEC Secretary-General, Barkindo dies at 63
- Banditry: Matawalle security agencies of his total support
- Gunmen attack Kuje Custodial Centre in Abuja
- Enugu govt. appoints Ihuoma Eze, acting coordinator of APPEALS World Bank project
- Roadmap for new NNPC hinges on PIA – Okadigbo
- Sallah: Presidency condemn attack on President Buhari’s advance team in Katsina
- My alleged suspension over alleged financial impropriety a huge joke-PDP chairman
- We must appreciate our history to develop as a nation – History Teacher
- Bandits burn down 2 health centres, shut 69 others in Katsina— official
- Police confirm killing of area commander by bandits in Katsina
- UN chief welcomes ECOWAS resolutions on Mali, commends Goodluck Jonathan
- NAOWA gifts food items, medicine, others to widows of fallen soldiers in Imo
- PDP’ll participate in Ebonyi July LG polls- Party Chairman
- Breaking: Sporadic gunshots, bomb blast heard near Kuje Prison
- Gunmen kill police inspector, abduct Chinese national in Kwara
- Gender-based, income inequalities fuelling teen pregnancies in developing countries – UNFPA
- My removal did not follow due process, says Sacked Abia LG boss
- NADCEL: Army Chief, Yahaya, bags chieftaincy title in Imo
- Don calls for inter-agency collaboration to tackle insecurity