The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has condemned the gruesome murder of Deborah Samuel, a 200 Level student of Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto, by some extremist fellow students on alleged blasphemy.
In a joint media briefing by CAN and CAN-Youth Wing, on Friday in Abuja, CAN’s General Secretary, Joseph Daramola, said that the unlawful and dastardly action of the perpetrators must be investigated.
Daramola said that the act should be condemned by all right thinking people and the security operatives should fish the perpetrators out and prosecute them.
“As long as the state fails to bring these beasts and criminals amidst us to book, the society will continue to be their killing fields.
“It is our expectation that the state governor, Aminu Tambuwal, would ensure that the matter is not swept under the carpet, as it was done before,” he said.
“Such people are agents of death amidst people. CAN recalled the provocative and demeaning advertisement of the Sterling Bank, where the bank compared the Resurrection of Jesus Christ to “Agege bread”.
“Government and the security agencies should stop treating them with kid gloves. Enough is enough.
“CAN commiserates with the family of Deborah and other bereaved. May God console and comfort them in Jesus Name,’’ he said.
CAN’s Legal Director, Comfort Chigbue, said that justice ought to prevail, adding that Christians are law abiding citizens.
“We will wait to make sure the security agencies do the needful and ensure that this will be the last as necessary actions should be taken. We are sad, we are mourning in CAN,” she said.
He said the Police, Department of Security Services, the Minister of Education must fish out the perpetrators of the act and prosecute them as it is expected.
“Deborah deserves nothing but justice and we believe in your capacity at enthroning justice in this case, by bringing the perpetrators to book.
“We acknowledge and commend the restraint of Christian students of the College who refused to retaliate in the face of provocation on those who murdered their colleague,’’ Enwere said.
- Environmentalists fault EU’s alternative to Russian Gas instead of renewables
- Zamfara APC reconciliation not on personal interest, says ex Gov. Yari
- Experts, veterans charge journalists on professionalism
- Nigeria, others review progress on global migration compact
- NAF free medical outreach excites Kaduna residents
- Ooni urges Oyetola to rely on divine success for his second term
- Average price for 5kg cooking gas increases to N3,800.47- NBS
- Primary : Atiku visits Gombe, confident of PDP delegates’ support
- Ondo assembly passes 2022 OSOPADEC budget into law
- Okada ban: Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement
- Gov. Ugwuanyi sets up, operationalises 10 type-3 PHC centres in Enugu – ENS-PHCDA boss
- WHO urges increased surveillance as COVID-19 cases rise in Americas
- Mali’s withdrawal from G5 Sahel, Joint Force ‘a setback’ for the region
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- CAN, JNI pledge support as FG conducts headcount for teachers, pupils
- Delta traditional rulers to partner CSOs to deepen gains of MDGs
- I’ll complete airport, school projects before leaving office – Fayemi
- ASUU Strike: NANS protests in Ekiti
- British Council to establish Arts, Culture Academy in Nigeria
- Africities 2022 Summit: Backbone of the continent, intermediary cities absorb most of the urban population growth, according to a report co-led by the African Development Bank
- Lagos govt., Polaris Bank unveil N1bn fund to empower artisans
- Nigeria reiterates commitment to implementing GCM agreement in New York
- Okada ban: Lagos residents express divergent views
- Perm Sec. harps on need to revive lost cultural values, traditions
- Businessman arraigned for alleged importation of fake drug
- Enugu: No life lost, nobody injured in Emene incident – Police
- FCTA demolishes over 30 houses in Trademore Estate Lugbe, over flooding
- Salami Panel: Magu will still be prosecuted if indicted despite promotion – Minister
- African Energy Week (AEW) Releases First Video for its Energy Investment Drive
- Troops recover guns, ammunition from insurgents enclave in Imo – Army spokesman
- Couple charged with involuntary manslaughter of housemaid knows fate July 7
- FG, Netherland to intensify efforts at curbing environmental hazards in Nigeria
- Investigating Policy and Business Requisites to Boost Hydrocarbon Investment in Africa
- NGO canvasses for more awareness on laws against SGBV in grassroots
- Agroforestry, Land Use policy to address land degradation – Minister
- African Energy Week calls for nominations to its world-renowned African Energy Awards
- Managing internal boundary crisis key to sustainable development — Ondo deputy governor
- Digitalisation will make public service smarter, faster — Akeredolu
- 25 ships discharge petrol, other items at Lagos ports
- Smart Africa Digital Academy (SADA) Launches its National Digital Academy in Ghana
- Army boss calls for civil society involvement in tackling insecurity
- 10th Youth Development Webinar Program 2022 “Building Youth Resilience: Transition to Green Economy and Beyond”
- Buhari’s support gave me political glory – Bauchi governor
- ICT: NCC begins awareness creation on safety, security for girls
- WHO authorises China’s CanSinoBIO Covid-19 vaccine
- Court permits landlord to break open, change locks on tenant’s door
- Sanwo-Olu describes RANAO as vanguard association for national development
- Africa Hospitality Investment Forum (AHIF) Returns to Morocco
- Community leader, 2 others docked for alleged intimidation
- Zamfara APC holds mini delegates conference