“Frantic effort is being made to provide facilities for research and development at the highest possible level in the basic and applied sciences to the entire scientific community of the country.
“This research has been yielding results in the area of agriculture, health, industry as well as to guarantee a wholesome environment,“ he said.
He said that the plant growth hormone produced by the organisation was at the apex of developmental stage.
The director said the plant growth hormone was capable of boosting crop yield by 25 to 30 per cent.
He said the SHESTCO had finished work on “slow release nitrogen fertiliser’’, adding that the product was waiting for commercialisation.
On anti-cancer principle, he said prodigiosin, which is red pigment produced by many strains of the bacterium Serratia marcescens, was produced uniquely domestically from a specie of a tree known as Serratia.
According to him, prodigiosin is a drug researched as antifungal, immunosuppressive and anti-proliferative for diabetes mellitus treatment.
He said collaborative studies on anti-cancer principle involved SHESTCO, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, Africa University of Science and Technology and Princeton University U.S., part funding from STEP-B Grant.
According to him, other ongoing projects at the complex include anti-epilepsy phyto-power, packed sickle cell capsule and anti-sickling agent for the management of sickle cell disease from indigenous plant materials.
Others also include the production of frame of Point of Service (POS) kiosk, multiplication of plantlets using temporary immersion bioreactor, scientifically processed moringa oleifera, power and capsules and organic and dye-sensitised solar cells developed.
Edited by: Gregory Mmaduakolam/Grace Yussuf
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-2WfU
- How seamless payment experiences make retail brands more valuable and relevant (By Gilbert Lungu)
- Binance To Host Its First Offline Event In Cameroon
- Coronavirus – Uganda: Tackle the misinformation about Covid-19 Vaccination in Acholi
- Nigerian Air Force’s Super Tucano jet destroy ISWAP armoury, training bases in Lake Chad
- Deputy Chief Maybury Supports the 16 Days Campaign and World AIDS Day on ELBC Radio
- Akeredolu won’t allow workers enjoy Christmas – Ondo PDP Alleges
- Bill to regulate administration of sports mooted
- Compact: African Development Bank and IFC Partner to Advance Economic Development in Lusophone African countries
- Lagos govt explains why Nigerian Army intervened during EndSARS protests
- N15 bn cocoa processing plant begins operation in Ondo
- Fighting against drought-induced hunger: FAO provides rural households in Somalia with cash livestock and agricultural support
- ABU, CBN develop national farmers’ database
- Nigerian Navy arrests 5 stowaways at Lagos anchorage
- Woodside Energy Confirms Participation at MSGBC Oil, Gas & Power 2021
- After media reports, Kano govt unseals chamber of lawyer who secures victory against Ganduje-led APC