By Naomi Sharang
Senate Speaker Ahmad Lawan denounced recent attacks on police formations and prisons in Imo.
A statement from Mr. Ola Awoniyi, the Senate Presidents’ special media assistant, said Lawan had described those responsible for the attacks as enemies of the people and the country.
Lawan said this Friday in Owerri during the inauguration of a road project completed by Governor Hope Uzodinma of Imo.
He said that the aim of the attackers was probably to cause a distraction for the Imo government or even the federal government.
The road, named after a former Senate Speaker, the late Chief Evan Enwerem, was one of the infrastructure projects inaugurated during Uzodinma’s one-year tenure.
Lawan advised people to own the projects, use them well, and protect them as projects.
“We have recently experienced insecurity, especially in Imo – the escape from prison, the burning of the police headquarters, etc.
“These may be attempts by enemies of the people to distract this administration or, indeed, the government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
“When a government program or project is vandalized, when a government institution is vandalized and set on fire, those who do so are the enemies of the people.
“Our security agencies need more resources to ensure that we are all protected and that life and our property are safe.
“We will continue to support our security agencies in partnership with the executive arm of government,” Lawan said.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yId
- Enugu records 25 rape cases in 3 months — Official
- Last day – B-roll: African rugby teams meet to prepare for the Olympic Games and the Olympic repechage – Last day
- Policeman returns N1.2m to accident victim’s family in Kano
- Insecurity: CAN declares 3-day prayer
- Food availability: Expert harps on climate resilient farming practices
- Coronavirus – Zimbabwe: COVID-19 update (May 14, 2021)
- LIVE NOW: Rugby Africa Sevens Solidarity Camp: All matches will be broadcast live on Saturday on Rugby Africa’s Facebook page and Rugby Africa’s YouTube channel – Day 4
- COVID-19: NCDC announces 49 new cases, total now 165,661
- Edo Govt suspends activities of NCWS indefinitely