General news

SEMA confirms 624 houses destroyed in Kano

Published

on


Kano State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) has confirmed 624 houses destroyed by flood in four local government areas of the state in two weeks.


Dr Sale Jili, Executive Secretary of the Agency, confirmed the incident in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Kano.

NAN recalled that the agency had earlier confirmed four persons killed and over 5, 200 houses destroyed due to flooding in Rogo and Danbatta Local Government Areas of the state.

NAN also reports that the Nigeria Meteorological Agency (NiMet) has predicted flooding occasioned by heavy rainfall in 20 Local Government Areas of the state.

Jili listed the affected areas to include Gabasawa, Minjibir, Kura and Warawa Local Government Areas.

“We deployed assessment teams to the affected areas. We have taken rapid prompt response after which the victims would be given relief materials ranging from food items and building materials.

“The affected areas have been visited to sympathise with the victims over the disaster.

“There are reports of flooding in the 44 LGAs of the state due to heavy rainfall this season,’’ he said.

He noted that some of the displaced persons are taking shelter with their relatives within the communities.

Meanwhile, the executive secretary added that in the month of August, 147 houses were destroyed in Garko Local Government Area of the state.

“The agency received 35 individual cases of lost of property by flood reported directly to SEMA. 24,920 flood, windstorm and rainstorm victims were affected from June to date.

“25 persons were killed as a result of flood from various local government areas and several hundreds injured,’’ he said.

Jili called on wealthy individuals, donor agencies to assist the government by supporting the victims, adding that members of the community should also assist the government in clearing their water ways.

He commended National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Presidential Task Force Committee on Rehabilitation and Relief for their support and urged them to continue in assisting the victims through the agency.

The executive secretary also called on residents close to rivers and ponds in the state to vacate the flood prone areas for now, as their safety cannot be guaranteed.

“We will continue to monitor, supervise what is happening and report back to the state government as at when due,’’ he said.

He, however, warned communities in flood prone areas to desist from dumping refuse in water ways to avert flooding.

“Right use of qualitative materials in building or roofing houses should and must be adopted to prevent flood and windstorm,’’ Jili added.

 

Edited By: Kabir Muhammad/Maharazu Ahmed
Source: NAN 

https://nnn.ng/sema-confirms-624-houses-destroyed-in-kano/

Lokoja tanker explosion: FRSC boss commiserates with victims NCDC reports 111 new COVID-19 cases, total now 57,724 Tinubu commiserates Fayose over sister’s death Don urges labour leaders to shun selfish interest to earn public trust NGO to celebrate 60 outstanding Nigerians at diamond jubilee No gratification to process, effect outstanding payment – PTAD Bwari-Dutse traffic: FCTA to mobilise contractors back to site Ogun community demands king after 15 years of vacant stool  PDP calls for articulate strategies to mitigate flood  Anglican Primate wants programmes to cushion hike in petrol, electricity tariff YouTube reveals top tips of getting most of its music Edo Election: Govs. Buni, Bello meet Ize-Iyamu in Abuja LASG urges small, medium businesses to go digital Plateau teachers decry non-implementation of new minimum wage NASSI seeks more tax, levy waivers for MSMEs Oyo govt. leases Agbowo Shopping Complex, seals 50 years concession with investor United States expresses satisfaction over peaceful conduct of Edo election  CAS inaugurates 11 areospace ground equipment in Benue Engage professionals to make Nigeria work again — Chief Tola Adeniyi Lokoja Explosion: Buhari expresses concern, mourns victims Edo Guber polls: Solace from Gov. Wike paid off – Obaseki Fistula Foundation targets 50 VVF patients in free surgery in Sokoto Buhari greets ex-Abia Dep. Gov., Chris Akomas at 60 Niger Delta communities demand 13% oil, gas derivation funds LASG lists new standard operating procedures for abattoir operations — Commissioner Sweden friendly moved to Russia over virus entry restrictions Ondo poll: Don’t allow crisis to escalate among parties, INEC charges staff Baby factory, child abuse, other similar vices endemic in Enugu State — NAPTIP Court dismisses suit against Zamfara govt over dissolution of LG Chairmen NOTAP calls for more funding for research to accelerate Nigeria’s development Frank de Boer favourite to be named new Netherlands coach Ondo 2020: There is gang up against us — APC spokesman Gov. Lalong condemns murder of traditional leader in Barkin-ladi LGA APC Professionals Forum to partner NAN to achieve FG’s 9-point agenda Gov. Zulum launches 1m trees planting campaign in Borno NPA expects 19 ships with petroleum products, others at Lagos port AFAP pledges to make Lagos food processing hub Bayern Munich, Schalke, Eintracht Frankfurt warned for coronavirus concept breaches Buhari to attend Guinea Bissau National Day Celebration, inaugurate road named after him NAFDAC seals 2 fake drug factories in Kano Group promises to end touting in Abia Magu Probe: group cautions against Malami’s appearance as witness De Bruyne, Lewandowski, Neuer on UEFA player of the year shortlist Mali: Court fixes Friday to hear suit challenging ECOWAS sanctions HP, AUC sign MoU to foster entrepreneurial skills in Africa Gov. Sule approves N300m for payment of gratuities in Nasarawa UK Group supports 100 Nigerian businesses with $425m COVID-19: UNICEF, FG organise stakeholders’ dialogue on safe school resumption  Lagos Govt hands over 51 vehicles, 8 houses to judges NGO tasks farmers on climate smart agricultural practice