There were 34,303 new infections and 997 deaths registered in the country over 24 hours, according to the official toll.
On Saturday, Russia recorded 1,002 deaths — the first time daily deaths hit the one thousand mark — and 33,208 new infections.
The climbing Covid-19 statistics come as the nation’s vaccination drive is at a standstill and with few restrictions in place.
The Kremlin, which says authorities have to ensure “the economy continues working”, has avoided re-introducing major measures despite calling the vaccination rate unacceptably low.
It also insists Russia’s medical system is not overwhelmed and could take in the rising number of patients.
Authorities have blamed Russians for the growing outbreak.
Health Minister Mikhail Murashko this week pointed to their “behaviour”, while Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said everything had been done to give the public the chance to “save their lives by getting vaccinated”.
While several Russian-developed jabs have been available for months, many people remain vaccine-sceptic.
Independent polls show more than half of Russians do not plan to get a shot.
According to official figures, Russia’s fatalities from Covid now stand at 223,312 — the highest toll in Europe.
Under a broader definition of deaths linked to the virus, the Rosstat statistics agency has said that by the end of August more than 400,000 people in Russia had died with the coronavirus.
Source Credit: TheGuardian
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3D5g
- COVID-19: Nigeria records 3 cases of omicron variant infections
- Mozambique conference calls for revival of fishing communities
- Complement your education with skills acquisition, NYSC boss charges corps members
- CEMAC Ministers Endorse African Energy Week 2022
- UNICEF and Liquid Intelligent Technologies launch a partnership to help Giga bridge the digital divide in Africa
- Nigeria, Chad to partner on power interconnection –Minister
- Prof. Florence Obi: Celebrating 1 year of an Icon in office
- Minister decries lack of improved cocoa seedlings
- IMF Management Completes First Review of the Staff-Monitored Program with Guinea Bissau
- A child was infected with HIV every two minutes in 2020 – UNICEF
- EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu invites youths for Peace Walk
- 257 projects amounting to over N20b duplicated in 2021 budget- ICPC boss
- No nation can develop without respect for rule of law —- AfDB president
- MTN offers 575m shares at N169 per share
- Police rescue 3 kidnapped persons, recover 3 AK-47 rifles in Zamfara