Rivers: Victor Ikpolo wins NNPC South-South zonal Quiz Competition
NNN: Master Victor Ikpolo of Green Oak International School Port Harcourt, has won the South-South zonal finals of the 2022 ‘NNPC National Science Quiz Competition.
Ikpolo, 16 years old SS2 student, in an interview with newsmen shortly after the competition in Port Harcourt, said he hoped to study Data Sciences in higher education.
Ikpolo from Rivers who scored 65 points out of 75 aggregate score, was followed by his 17 years old state counterpart, Master Godwin Zaccheus of Nigerian Christian Institute, Uyo who scored 55 points.
Similarly, Master Gideon Esien, 16, of Christian High School Calabar, also scored 55 points and shared in the position of the first runner-up.
Earlier in his address, Mr Garba Muhammad, Group Manager, Public Affairs Division of the NNPC, expressed determination to groom a pool of highly trained youths who would be available to take up key positions in the company and in the Nigerian energy sector.
He explained that the first stage of the competetion covered the 774 local government areas of the country and had 28 male and 9 female students qualifying for the South-South zonal finals.
Represented by Mr Etewewe Prince, Deputy Manager, Community Impact Investment, the general manager said the company had accorded special attention to intervention in the education and capacity development sector over the years.
He noted that with the signing of the Petroleum Industry Act in 2021, NNPC focused on delivering educational intervention, especially in the area of science and technology, engineering and Mathematics education (STEM) as part of its Corporate Social Responsibilities.
The competition which featured 28 male and 9 female students across various secondary schools in the South-South zone, ended with three states: Rivers, and Cross-Rivers for the grand finale scheduled for Abuja.
Victor Ikpolo, Godwin Zaccheus and Gideon Esien shall be representing the South-South zone comprising Rivers, and Cross-Rivers in the grand finale.
- 120 correctional centre inmates in Enugu gain admission into National Open University
- We’ll ensure changes in DisCos don’t disrupt service – FG
- Research: CSO tasks Kwara Govt on budget spendings
- Buhari salutes Army on 2022 NADCEL
- NMet predicts 3-day cloudiness, sunshine from Thursday
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC begins enlightenment campaign for motorists in Kano
- Barkindo’s death: NOG organisers call off 2022 dinner/award night
- Gov. Bagudu approves N52.9m for Kebbi boarding schools to celebrate sallah
- Nigerian petroleum industry holds night of tributes for Barkindo
- Our governorship candidate yet to announce running mate – Lagos PDP
- NSCDC urges newly recruited officers to maintain discipline, commitment
- Nigeria requires over 350m trees yearly to check deforestation – NCF
- FEMA, JICA empower IDPs in Abuja
- 2023: Group tasks INEC on peaceful, fair polls
- Influencer urges youths to maximise social media for wealth creation
- NOA expresses readiness to partner with CSOs, others on vote-buying
- Plateau APC Guber Candidate picks Butmang as running mate
- UK wants improved implementation of disability laws in Nigeria
- Running mate: PDP group faults voting by screening committee
- Gov. Fintiri commiserates with Barkindo family