By Ismaila Chafe
Communication and Digital Economy Minister Dr Isa Pantami made this known at the weekly presidential media conference hosted by the Presidential Communication Media Team in Abuja on Thursday.
According to the Minister, only 150 million out of 189 million have successfully registered, while the rest have problems with incorrect registration.
Pantami reminded all citizens to register with the NIN, warning that those who have not yet obtained the NIN risk seven or 14 years in prison as stipulated in the Nigerian constitution.
“Based on the legal requirement, every citizen and legal resident must obtain their National Identification Number (NIN), which is coordinated by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC). It is a legal requirement, but many citizens ignore it.
“What we have achieved in the registration area from the time the President asked me to oversee the NIMC to this day is unprecedented and we would continue to ensure that in the years to come we will have from an almost complete database of all our citizens in the countryside.
“No country will be successful in education, health, budget planning or national planning without a database of its citizens in place.
“What I inherited from the database represented less than 20% of our population. But we want to make sure that before we step down, we look at the database and be proud of our country, ” he said.
According to him, while obtaining a SIM card may be optional, the NIN is mandatory, knowing that many transactions in the country are not supposed to be carried out without a NIN. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yxc
- Residents of Kano and Katsina accuse manufacturers of cement price
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 update (April 14, 2021)
- Greece lifts quarantine requirement for tourists
- NAFDAC impound vehicle loaded with unhealthy drugs and vaccines
- Afghanistan respects US troop withdrawal – Presidential Aid
- Stepping up vigilance as Africa deploys COVID-19 vaccines
- NOA to organize youth summit in Bauchi state
- IG dissolves surveillance units in Lagos, Port Harcourt
- NSF: Why I took Naija Ratels FC to Benin – Edeh