The Kwara Ministry of Environment and Forestry said on Tuesday that more private contractors had been engaged to ensure efficient disposal of refuse in the state.
The Permanent Secretary, Alhaji Amasa Al-Amin, disclosed this in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency in Ilorin.
He said that there was need for additional contractors to enhance prompt refuse collection and disposal in the state in order to have a clean environment.
According to him, more people are interested in refuse collection, and the government has started engaging them.
The permanent secretary said that private contractors interested in refuse collection must have the capacity.
“A refuse collector must have a vehicle, necessary tools and materials, as well as most importantly personnel for the job,” he said.
Al-Amin said that one of the major causes of flood was improper disposal of refuse, which could be prevented to a large extent.
The permanent secretary called for a change of attitude among residents to achieve a clean environment in Kwara.
“Our attitude to life makes us who we are and what we become in life.
“People should stop accumulating refuse, rather, they should make use of the necessary things and avoid waste products, which will later end up as liability for them and the society at large,” he said.
The official advised residents in the state to cooperate with the refuse collectors by allowing them to do their job and pay the agreed fee promptly.
“There are cases of refuse collectors being harassed, while some are beaten up in the course of doing their jobs,” Al-Amin said. (NAN)
Edited by Folorunso Poroye/Bayo Sekonihttps://nnn.ng/refuse-kwara-environment-ministry-engages-more-private-contractors/
AbdulRazaq updates Buhari on Kwara flood disaster, seeks FG support
Gov. AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara has updated President Muhammadu Buhari on the havoc wreaked by flood in the state, saying over 15,000 people had been displaced as a result of the disaster.
Speaking to State House correspondents on his mission to the Villa, on Tuesday in Abuja, the governor said he met with the president to request for Federal Government assistance for the victims of the disaster.
He, therefore, urged the federal government to come to the aid of the displaced persons, saying property and farm products worth about N10billion had been damaged or destroyed as a result of the disaster.
The governor expressed the hope that the assistance if granted would help to ameliorate the sufferings of the people of state, who are victims of flood disasters this year.
“I came to see the president, among other things, to discuss ecological and developmental issues.
“Over the weekend, we had huge rainstorm that destroyed about 5,000 houses in the State capital. We had huge flooding in Kwara North and the bank of River Niger.
“There are a lot of internally displaced people in the State capital. The State needs assistance to abate the crisis.
“We have about 5,000 houses and thousands of hectares of farmland that are under water. Close to about 10,000 to 15,000 people are already displaced so far. So, it’s straining the State’s economy.
The governor, however, expressed the hope that the state would witness bumper harvest this farming season in spite of the reported flood in the state.
He said: “Luckily for us, we did two cycles of rice farming in the affected areas. We are hoping to do three cycles. Yes, there is huge impact.
“We are expecting bumper harvest this season, especially with the federal government’s intervention in the agricultural sector.”
Edited By: Felix Ajide
Kwara Assembly urges Gov AbdulRasaq to assist rainstorm victims
The Kwara House of Assembly on Tuesday urged Gov. AbdulRahman AbdulRasaq to provide immediate succour and other relief materials to thousands of residents of the state whose houses and valuables were destroyed by rainstorm.
The house made the call in Ilorin in its resolution after adopting a matter of urgent public importance on the havoc caused by Sunday’s rainstorm.
The matter, which was raised by the House Leader, Abubakar Olawoyin-Magaji, enjoyed the support of members at plenary.
In his submission, Olawoyin-Magaji said that the level of damage caused by the rainstorm to several houses in various parts of the state capital was enormous.
Apart from damaged houses and valuables, Olawoyin-Magaji said the rainstorm also damaged several electric poles and cables, causing blackout in several parts of the state capital.
The Speaker, Mr Yakubu Danladi, while reading the resolution of the house, charged the state government to liase with the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), toward providing succour to the affected rainstorm victims.
Edited By: Moses Solanke/Donald Ugwu
Sunshine Stars unveil Ogunbote as new Technical Adviser
The Ondo State Football Agency (ODSFA), managers of Sunshine Stars Football Club of Akure, on Tuesday unveiled Gbenga Ogunbote as the club’s new Technical Adviser.
Tajudeen Akinyemi, Chairman of ODSFA, while unveiling him in Akure said Ogunbote’s choice was arrived at after considering his vast experience from managing several clubs in the country.
He said the target set for the coach was to return the club to playing in continental competitions like he did during his first spell with them.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Ogunbote had worked with Sunshine Stars as assistant coach to the late Solomon Ogbeide before becoming Head Coach from 2011 to 2012.
“We have been trying to get him for some seasons ago now, even before I was appointed. But luckily for us, we now have him here,” Akinyemi said.
After his unveiling,Gbenga Ogunbote thanked all those who prevailed on him to return to the team.
Ogunbote said he would need all the necessary support like he got during his first spell to ensure all the spelt-out goals were achieved.
“When we were here during my first spell, Sunshine Stars were ranked third best in Africa. But the reverse is the case now. We can make it back.
“But all hands must be on deck. We (coaches) can’t do it alone.
“The management must make funds available at all times, (and) it is the duty of coaches to ensure that they encourage the management to do more. For it to end in praise, we must do our bit.
“During the first period I was around, it would not have been a beautiful one if not for the support I was given. God has used me to earn six tickets to play on the continent across various clubs in the last eight years.
“The question we must ask is what we had done then that is not being done now. We must review all.
“The secret to failure is to want to please everybody. It is not just about stepping on toes at times, you have to cut some to be successful,” he said.
Speaking also, the Chairman of Ondo State Football Association, Dele Ajayi, urged the club management and the Technical Adviser to see the Football Association (FA) as partners in progress.
NAN reports that Ogunbote has worked at Enyimba International, Rangers International, Shooting Stars, Kwara United, Gateway United, Giwa FC and Sharks FC.
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Gov. AbdulRazaq announces committee on Saturday’s rainstorm in Kwara
Gov. AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara has set up a nine-person committee to conduct an assessment of the damage caused by the Saturday’s rainstorm in different parts of the state.
Chief Press Secretary (CPS), Rafiu Ajakaye made this known in a statement on Monday night in Ilorin.
According to Ajakaye, the committee was made up Hajiya Sa’adatu Modibbo Kawu, State’s Commissioner for Tertiary Education as chairperson.
Other members of the committee are Special Adviser to the Governor on Political Matters, Saadu Salau and Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Community Intervention Kayode Oyin-Zubair.
Members of the committee include Secretary of the state emergency management agency, Mrs Motunrayo Adaran; Chairman of the Kwara State Muslim Pilgrims Board, Dr AbdulKadir Sambaki and Special Assistant to the Governor on Religion (Christian) Rev S.O. Adedayo.
Others were Special Assistant to the Governor on Religion (Islam), Ibrahim Zubair Dan Maigoro; Special Assistant to the Governor on Women Empowerment, Mrs Bolanle Ismail while Permanent Secretary Ministry of Special Duties, Yusuf Bolakale would serve as the Secretary.
News Agency of Nigeria , reports that Gov AbdulRazaq had on Sunday said he would set up a special disaster response committee to collate data of areas affected by the rainstorm.
The committee was to determine how the state government can offer support to victims based on available resources.
The new committee would focus majorly on the rainstorm in several parts of the state.
Edited By: Felix Ajide