By Aisha Cole / Lucy Ogalue
He said the inauguration of the standard gauge railway would benefit the economy through the employment of new business opportunities and wealth creation.
Buhari said the Federal Ministry of Transport and the Ministry of Finance had been tasked with vigorously seeking financial arrangements with appropriate co-financiers to partner with the federal government for the development of the Ibadan – Kano railway.
“This is already giving the desired result as the construction activities on the railway segment, Kaduna – Kano started with back-end engineering activities.
“Distinguished guests, from the beginning of this administration, the development of the railway infrastructure has been given the priority it deserves and various stages have been taken, from the moment the Abuja – Kaduna railway was put into commercial service. in 2016.
“This Lagos – Ibadan railway project is commissioned today for full commercial operation.
“I am happy to address you again today and chair the launching ceremony of the Lagos – Ibadan Commercial Operations Rail Project at Mobolaji Johnson Station, Ebute Metta, Lagos,” said Buhari.
According to him, the vital line had established an end-to-end logistics supply chain in rail transport in its short corridor, Lagos – Ibadan.
Buhari said goods to the hinterland would now be transported by rail directly from the quayside at Apapa port directly to the inland container depot in Ibadan from where it could be distributed to other parts of the country.
He said that in recognition of the challenges posed to our economic growth by the lack of strong and efficient infrastructure, the government had committed to the completion of the outstanding segment of the Lagos – Kano railway line, which was Ibadan – Kano.
He said that the Lagos – Kano railway project, when completed, will link the Kano – Maradi line to Kano and that a rail link from the southern ports of Nigeria from Lagos to Maradi in the Republic of Niger will be made.
Transport Minister Rotimi Amaechi said it was the third time that President Muhammadu Buhari had brought a standard gauge railway into service.
“Why do I want the president to be present to show Nigeria that the project started and ended with our administration.”
“I even lost my car when I entered the bushes to complete the project.
“We appreciate the head of APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, the former governor of Oyo State, Abiola Ajumobi, and the Minister of Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), Minister of Information , Alhaji Lai Muhammed, former Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, etc.
“I would like to appreciate all the staff of the railroads, journalists, CCECC, security agencies among others.
Alhassan commended the efforts of federal and state governments and some agencies for their support in carrying out the project.
The President of the Chinese Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC), Mr. Jiang Yigao, commended Nigeria and other government officials for their support to enable them to deliver on time.
He said the standard gauge railway would increase development in Nigeria and help improve the social and economic development of the country.
The Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the People’s Republic of China, Cui Jianchun, congratulated the Nigerian government, saying that the inauguration of the project had further strengthened relations between the two nations.
“I am very happy to join everyone in celebrating this event. For every nation, development is the key. This project with the support of China will improve the development of this country.
“The ceremony is not for the transport of people and goods, but also for the railroad to improve the lives of Nigerians.
“I salute the efforts of the Honorable Rotimi Amaechi without him, we could not stay here this morning.
“We continue to work together for sincerity to enable Nigeria to overcome national and international challenges,” Jianchun said.
Lagos State Governor Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu praised President Muhammadu Buhari for the enormous infrastructure development underway in Nigeria.
Sanwo-Olu said it was better for the federal and state governments to work together to achieve the development of the country.
“Today we can see that the collective infrastructure and support has not been in vain as three Lagos Ogun and Oyo states have benefited from this project.
“Ogun State has a standard gauge cargo station in Kajola while Oyo State has an inland dry port.
“We have a revolutionary project taking place in Lagos, we are also building the foundations that the federal government had laid for us.
“We are building six-standard blue and red rails with support from the federal government through the Lagos State Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA).
Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) General Manager Mr. Fidet Okhiria said that after the flag, operations will begin and the company will increase the number of trains to four and also start freight operations from the ports of Lagos.
“We’re starting Monday with four trains, two up, two down, and in six months we’ll be running eight trains, four up, four down.
“With freight exploitation, we will be moving cargo out of ports via standard and narrow gauge, which will go a long way in relieving congestion at the port. (NAAN).
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3Aw2
- Repositioning Nigerian MSMEs for AfCFTA
- Kano partners private firm on $162m first agro-industrial park –official
- G7 devt. finance institutions, others to invest $80bn into African businesses
- Ogun APC loses treasurer
- World Blood Donor Day: Nigeria needs 200m units of blood annually — NBTS
- Police foil robbery attack in Kaduna
- NNPC, Egbin collaborate to boost gas-to-power programme
- LASUTH to inaugurate 200-bed building
- Former labour minister urges new NSITF mgt. to embrace integrity
- Forum calls on governments to ensure adequate security of Nigerians
- Onyeama, Odusile, IOM for JIFORM Togo summit
- Niger community seeks support for kidnapped Chief, wives
- NATO summit opens with focus on solidarity
- China presents ‘systemic challenges’ to int’l order – NATO
- India reiterates support to cricket development in Nigeria
- Attacks: CP orders more personnel to Zaria
- Raw materials processing key to value addition, intra trade- Sealink Chairperson
- Sealink to commence operation in Q4 2021- Chairperson
- Inland waterways use will deepen African trade- Sealink
- UNICAL VC bags African teaching authourity award
- First person: a live antidote to disinformation in the Central African Republic
- NGO plans free learning in churches, mosques
- Activist wants governors to support judicial, legislative, LGA’s financial autonomy
- 2 die in Jigawa road accident
- Bauchi governor appoints new Chief of Staff
- Mortars still preferred to blenders – NAN survey
- Anambra governorship candidate pledges more dividends of democracy
- Global legal community steps up for refugees amid pandemic, providing 165,000 hours of free legal aid
- COVID-19: Nigeria records lowest infection figure in more than 1 year
- COVID-19 vaccine: UNICEF hails G7 commitment to sharing 870m doses
- COVID-19: ACT-Accelerator partnership needs $16bn to fill funding gap – WHO
- Tambuwal says PDP set to regain power
- Osinbajo, Fayemi laud Oba’s development efforts
- Gov. Masari restates commitment to water supply
- World Blood Day: 7m African patients need blood yearly – WHO
- Foundation calls for skin cancer awareness among people with Albinism
- Kebbi Gov’s wife wants Nigerians to shun discrimination against Albinos
- Surrender now, Nigerian Army tells Boko Haram terrorists
- Kwara Utd end MFM 6-game unbeaten run with 1-0 win in Ilorin
- NPFL: Wikki Tourists overpower FC IfeanyiUbah 4-3
- Defection, bane of growth of Nigeria’s democracy – Diasporas
- Police recover N1.3m from suspected kidnappers in Abuja
- Rep. Idahosa to restore electricity supply to 70 communities in Edo
- Team Kwara win North-Central Cricket invitational
- NAF FC dethrone EFCC FC to win 2021 FCT Men’s Aiteo Cup
- NPFL: Rangers International humiliate Sunshine Stars 4-1
- Gov. Lalong tasks clergymen on prayers, spiritual guidance for leaders
- June 12: Rights group hails Buhari’s courage on pronouncement
- Bishop urges FG to focus on agriculture to boost economy
- Dangote Urea Fertiliser delivers 120 trucks daily- official
- COVID-19: 107,283 persons receive 2nd vaccine dose in Lagos
- Avoid God’s judgment on Nigeria, Okoye tells leaders
- Osinbajo applauds ex-minister’s humanitarian initiative for orphans, others
- Gov. Emmanuel spends N26bn on Eket-Ibeno road
- Ex-Imo dep. gov. recommends dialogue to resolve grievances
- Video: NNPC highlights week with 40bn barrels crude oil reserve target
- Truth, justice, equity, will guarantee Nigeria’s unity – Okowa
- COVID-19 Vaccine:107,283 persons receive 2nd dose in Lagos
- Mikel Obi visits Yahaya Bello, harps on youth leadership
- Police confirm unknown gunmen attack in Zaria
- Democracy Day: Nigeria can achieve more – Nigerian Diasporas
- NRC begins Lagos-Ibadan service Tuesday
- Eriksen unlikely to play football again, cardiologist says
- Divorce: Expert advises parties to explore mediation
- Krejcikova wins French Open doubles day after singles triumph
- Obaseki seeks legislation, global action against child labour
- NRC begins Lagos-Ibadan service June 15
- NDLEA nabs Uber driver, 2 traffickers with cocaine in Lagos
- APC Diaspora urges speedy convocation of national dialogu
- Buhari greets Gen. Abubakar at 79
- Gov. Obaseki seeks legislation, global action against child labour
- Bishop Onuoha urges South East agitators to shun violence
- World Day Against Child Labour: Foundation highlights consequences of neglect
- Drama on protection of public infrastructure underway
- How I will reposition National Troupe–Director
- Nigeria will be great – Al Mustapha
- Albinism: Foundation stresses need for govt. support
- LASG says sports can be used to rekindle hope in youths
- Child abuse: CCTV to the rescue
- Bauchi Govt unveils N1.5b youths empowerment programme
- It’s time to end Boko Haram- Al Mustapha tells new COAS
- June 12: Imo residents sue for peace
- Earning a living through car wash business
- Democracy Day: NIREC preaches tolerance, true democratic culture
- NNL: Attack on Bendel Insurance team barbaric – Obaseki
- June 12: Lalong decries use of social media against democracy By Martha Agas
- FG commences completion of abandoned Farin Ruwa Multipurpose Dam
- Governors working hard to ensure stability in Nigeria, says Gov. Ganduje
- Buhari felicitates Minister of State, FCT on birthday, title
- Expert urges mid-term review of power privatisation
- Zamfara renders free medical services to 1,160 less privileged
- Niger governor celebrates Gen. Abdulsalami at 79
- Police restate ban on unlawful gatherings in Kano State
- Senate President visits wounded soldiers in Kaduna
- Matawalle vows to pay bandits in same coin
- EFCC FC coach targets to lift FCT Aiteo Cup again
- Euro 2020: Denmark’s Eriksen stable after collapse on pitch
- Borno govt. will not sack workers — Gov. Zulum assures
- Gov. Masari to retire from active politics in 2023
- Democracy Day: Nigerians in S/Africa urge FG to sustain fight against insecurity
- 2021 Hajj: NAHCON confirms cancellation of pilgrimage for international pilgrims
- FG suspends salaries of 331 civil servants
- Nigeria to miss late South Africa’s Zulu King – Envoy
- TSA, BVN eliminating ghost workers in government – NITDA Boss
- June 12: Sen. Anyanwu harps on united, indivisible Nigeria
- June 12: APC chairman urges support for government
- Democracy Day: IPMAN says Buhari’s administration can transform petroleum sector through PIB
- Presidential address: Gombe rice farmers laud FG’s investment in agric sector
- Zamfara govt. suspends third traditional ruler over banditry allegations
- Sterling bank pledges commitment to health sector improvement
- CCD, PLWDs validate Yoruba, Pidgin of Draft Abridged Lagos Disability Law
- June 12: Movement, commercial activities remain unhindered in Imo – Police
- Democracy Day broadcast : IPAC lauds President Buhari’s score card
- Democracy: Gov. Bello of Niger reassures residents of continuous growth
- FG approves establishment of N15trn Infraco Plc to boost infrastructure dev’t – Buhari
- Democracy Day: Foundation advocates dialogue to solve challenges
- 1,300 Oyo women benefit from entrepreneurship training programme – Makinde
- UNECA tasks G7 leaders on vaccines, green recovery, aid cuts
- Honeywell introduces Nigeria’s 1st spaghetti mini pack
- I’m not against constitutional amendments or reforms – Buhari
- Coronation Merchant Bank quotes N11.36bn CP on FMDQ
- Full Speech of President Buhari on Democracy Day
- FG approves establishment of N15trn Infraco Plc
- G7 Summit: COVID-19 vaccines should be considered ‘global public goods’ – Guterres
- UAE’s commitment to women empowerment goes beyond our borders – Envoy
- Armed robbers kill final year student of Ibadan Polytechnic
- Igbo group in New York charges Nigerian leaders on selfless service
- Nigeria, Ghana navies partner on maritime security, others
- Democracy Day: APC restates commitment to progressive reforms
- Zamfara governor approves community self defence against banditry
- Kogi Govt. hails NANS for suspending nationwide Protest
- Senate President felicitates Nigerians on Democracy Day
- Buhari receives briefing on NASENI’s Modular Irrigation, assembled helicopter
- Restructuring: Only NASS can handle constitutional matter
- FIRS gets online portal to check fake tax certificates
- Michael Okpara University demands N10bn take-off grant from FG
- Fed. High Court issues new practice direction for filing of processes
- 20 participants selected for inaugural maritime writers workshop – official
- UN elects Ghana, 4 others to serve on Security Council
- NASS commission felicitates senate on 2nd anniversary
- UFC champion Usman, sports ministry to develop MMA in Nigeria
- Tokyo Olympics: Foundation “adopts” Okon-George, Anyanacho
- NGO tracks N193bn spent on government projects in 2020
- FG signs Brass Petroleum Products Terminal agreement to tackle illegal refining
- June 12: We won’t allow EndSARS experience – Police
- Newly-elected Mongolian president takes oath June 25
- COVID-19: Belgium detects virus in fully vaccinated people
- NANS suspends planned June 12 protest
- June 12: NYCN urges Nigerians to shun planned protests
- T20 Cricket Tourney: Nigeria, again succumbs to Namibia, lose by 91 runs
- NDDC: Meeting the demands of the Niger Delta people
- The women who run big businesses in Africa
- Fed. Rep., Akande-Sadipe Seeks Justice for Hit and Run Accident Victim
- African Women Handball Championship: Nigeria lose to Cameroon in second game
- OLOP Programme: SMEDAN reviews MFBs admin charges to 8 per cent
- PDP dissolves Plateau exco, appoints caretaker committee
- Ebonyi stakeholders laud JUSUN’s strike suspension
- Police embark on show of force in Ibadan
- Decade of gas: FG inaugurates committee to develop roadmap
- U.S. calls on Nigeria to end Twitter suspension
- TotalEnergies targets 50% gas energy mix by 2030
- Expert advises cutting down cholesterol to avoid liver disease
- FCTA mulls entrepreneurship education in secondary schools
- CAN moves to end FGM in 21 Imo communities
- Army releases new posting, as counter-terrorism operation gets new commander
- NIPS: FG changes summit name to Nigeria International Energy Summit
- Naija Ratels FC boss wants more support for women league
- Analyst describes 2014 Urhobo declaration as “shot in the foot”
- Abuja Shippers’ Association gets new executive members
- Rail network to make Nigeria’s ports destination points for import, export — Buhari
- Recovered Assets: FG opens bid for Auctioneers
- Buhari: We’ll tackle those attacking security personnel, wielding AK-47s
- Deep Blue project: Benchmark for maritime security – Buhari
- Lagos AGN promises new heights as new executives take over
- NPC promises credible, reliable census
- 90 schools participate in Maltina Games in Bauchi
- FG lauds JUSUN, PASAN, ASUP for suspending strikes
- Cricket: 68 players to feature in maiden North Central invitational
- SWAN FCT secures 3-year partnership deal with Ratels FC
- Decade of gas: FG inaugurates committee to develop roadmap.
- Nigeria’s proven gas reserve now 206.53tcf, says DPR
- Nigeria’s mission in South Africa issues 10,341 passports in 15 months — Consul General
- FRSC encourages use of bicycles in Sokoto
- Former White House lawyer exposes Trump
- Former PM, Ukhnaa Khurelsukh, wins Mongolia’s presidential election
- Autonomy: JUSUN called off strike too early without achieving aims – Ikeja NBA
- Pete Townshend’s Music Amplifies Africa’s World Blood Donor Day Celebrations
- Sen. Buhari urges stakeholder collaboration to tackle insecurity
- I’ve not resigned as Imo Deputy Governor, says Prof. Njoku
- Another military plane crashes, at least 12 dead
- ASUP suspends 65 days industrial action
- Nigeria’s total public debt reaches N33.107trn – DMO
- Gov. Masari inaugurates N1.4bn new Zamfara Assembly complex
- Police nab native doctor for preparing charms for IPOB, ESN in Imo – CP
- Nigeria records 64 new COVID-19 cases, says NCDC
- Foundation urges concerted efforts on global access to COVID-19 vaccine
- Rep endorses plans to establish sickle cell centre in Abuja
- FG moves to empower serving, retired civil servants
- Enough with ethno-religious, political divides – Gov. Bello tells Nigerians
- Presidency presents documentary to mark 2021 Democracy Day