By Salisu Sani-Idris
The World Bank-funded Community and Social Development Project (PSDC) provided mini motorized water systems, built a block of classrooms and a health post in remote communities of Kuyu and Chalgai in Gwandu, government local, Kebbi State.
The Nigerian News Agency (NAN) reports that communities in the central senatorial district of Kebbi are located about 75 km from the state capital.
The Kuyu community, with an estimated population of over 2,000, is mainly made up of farmers and cattle herders, while the difficult-to-reach village of Chalgai, with a population of over 800, is mainly subsistence farmers.
Speaking to NAN, Malam Bello Magawata, the 51-year-old chairman of the Kuyu Community Project Management Committee (CPMC), said, “This is the first time that we have a motorized water system, a block of classrooms and a health post since its creation. of this community over 100 years ago.
He said as many as 1,000 community members now fetch water from the water system every day, and more than 500 cattle and rams drink from the borehole every day, further explaining that so far , the community relied on a well 200 m deep, usually pulled by camels. and donkeys.
Magawata said that before the PSDC intervention in 2018, the community had its primary school operating under a tree with low enrollment rates.
“I was born and raised in this village over 50 years ago, I have never seen or heard of a body of water, a block of classrooms or a post. health plan for this community.
“We only see children from neighboring communities going to schools and becoming nurses, soldiers, engineers and all that, but we don’t have such educational or health facilities.
“If a community member gets sick or we have a pregnant woman, we usually take them to Gwandu local government in my old car, or on a donkey, and sometimes before we get to know many pregnant women who have lost their lives and their babies. . “
Magawata, who thanked the PSDC for bringing relief to the residents of the community, assured that the community would do everything possible to maintain the facilities.
Likewise, Chalgai, CPMC Secretary Sani Mohammed said that prior to the construction of the Solar Mini Water Scheme by the PSDC, the community depended on an old well dug by the former prime minister of the northern region, Sir Ahmadu Bello, in the First Republic.
Mohamed said that the provision of the water body had improved the living conditions and the economic status of the inhabitants of the community.
“Our animals drink water at ease and we are also building many houses now due to the availability of water. There is no doubt that the projects have changed the fortunes of this community, ”he said.
Likewise, he said that the provision of classrooms was a welcome relief for people in the community, adding that in the past “we used to send our children to the local governments of Tambuwal and Dogon Daji, in Sokoto state, to go to primary school.
In addition, Malam Mode Umaru from the Barama community, who benefited from a 1.5 km drainage project, said that since the construction of the drainage, the community no longer suffered from flooding of their farmland. and their homes.
According to him, the community used to experience flooding throughout the city during the rainy season, but with the construction of the drainage, the flooding had been contained.
“Without the drainage, the floods will have washed away the whole community,” Umaru said.
NAN reports that the PSDC is one of the development projects in the country’s World Bank portfolios, using a community-based approach, whereby communities are the drivers of their project’s needs.
The project provided 90% of the funds for projects, started only by poor communities, to which they contribute the remaining 10% in cash and in kind.
The objective of the project is to improve the access of the poor to social and economic infrastructure, while increasing the availability and management of development resources at the community level. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3z3x
- Abuja residents count losses as FCDA demolishes illegal structures
- Rugby Africa Sevens Solidarity Camp: All matches will be broadcast live on Saturday and Sunday on Rugby Africa’s Facebook page and Rugby Africa’s YouTube channel
- Adimula Commissions PTI Skill Development Academy
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 update (May 6, 2021)
- JUSUN, PASAN strike to end soon – FG
- Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 daily update (May 6, 2021)
- Jagun emerges new president of computer professionals council
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (May 6, 2021)
- Lagos to connect 100 schools to internet in May – Sanwo-Olu