2023: I’ll protect mandate given to me by the people – Sen. Ogba
NNN: Sen. Obinna Ogba, representing Ebonyi Central senatorial zone and governorship candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Ebonyi state, in the 2023 governorship election, has vowed to protect the mandate given to him by the people.
Ogba made the pledge while addressing newsmen on Saturday at his campaign office in Abakaliki.
He added that no amount of intimidation or threat from any quarter would make him to either surrender or reliquish the mandate given to him by the party delegates during the rescheduled PDP primaries in Ebonyi held between June 4 and June 6.
The senator noted that the Certificate of Return (CoR) issued to him by the party in Abuja is an affirmation that he remains the only authentic and recognised governorship candidate for the PDP in Ebonyi in 2023 gubernatorial election.
He congratulated the party leadership and the delegates who voted to entrust him with the party’s flag for the election, saying he is committed to taking the party to victory.
He said: “One thing I know is that nobody no matter the circumstance can intimidate me or take away the mandate given to me by our great party from the backyard; it is not possible.
“No matter how they have ganged up, I’m happy for our delegates have spoken through their votes.
“Twelve of the aspirants have congratulated us except one but, if in an examination you score 12 over 13, you have passed at distinction level.”
The guber candidate who also reacted to a Court judgement nullifying the primary elections that produced him as the PDP governorship candidate in Ebonyi, called on his supporters, PDP faithful and Ebonyi people to remain calm.
“Court is for everyone; it is for the rich and it is for the poor. We are going to respond appropriately and we are going to defeat them the way we defeated them at the party poll,” Ogba added.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that Dr Ifeanyochukwu Odii was elected governorship candidate in a primary election held by a faction led by Mr Silas Onu on May 28 and May 29 which was boycotted by the Ogba group.
However, following the cancellation of the PDP primaries in Ebonyi by the National Working Committee (NWC), the party ordered for fresh primaries in the state.
Ogba emerged winner in the governorship primary conducted under the supervision of Mr Tochukwu Okorie who was recently reinstated to his seat through an Appeal Court judgement delivered in Abuja.
Meanwhile, a Federal High Court in Abakaliki, presided by Justice Fatun Riman, on June 7 ruled that the primary elections that produced Ogba and other candidates were illegal, unconstitutional, null and void.
The Court also affirmed the primary elections earlier conducted in the state that produced Odii as governorship candidate of the PDP.
The Judge further ruled that PDP properly constituted a primary election committee and deployed them for the purpose of same and that INEC agreed to have monitored the election and returned candidates transparently.
The Court also held that any other primary elections held after those of May 28 and May 29 were null and void, conferring no benefits or rights whatsoever.
- 120 correctional centre inmates in Enugu gain admission into National Open University
- We’ll ensure changes in DisCos don’t disrupt service – FG
- Research: CSO tasks Kwara Govt on budget spendings
- Buhari salutes Army on 2022 NADCEL
- NMet predicts 3-day cloudiness, sunshine from Thursday
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC begins enlightenment campaign for motorists in Kano
- Barkindo’s death: NOG organisers call off 2022 dinner/award night
- Gov. Bagudu approves N52.9m for Kebbi boarding schools to celebrate sallah
- Nigerian petroleum industry holds night of tributes for Barkindo
- Our governorship candidate yet to announce running mate – Lagos PDP
- NSCDC urges newly recruited officers to maintain discipline, commitment
- Nigeria requires over 350m trees yearly to check deforestation – NCF
- FEMA, JICA empower IDPs in Abuja
- 2023: Group tasks INEC on peaceful, fair polls
- Influencer urges youths to maximise social media for wealth creation
- NOA expresses readiness to partner with CSOs, others on vote-buying
- Plateau APC Guber Candidate picks Butmang as running mate
- UK wants improved implementation of disability laws in Nigeria
- Running mate: PDP group faults voting by screening committee
- Gov. Fintiri commiserates with Barkindo family