Mr Daniel Onjie, Board Chairman, Projects Development Institute (PRODA) Enugu, says justice is the only guarantee for a peaceful coexistence in every society.
Onjie stated this at the formal unveiling of a music single, titled; ”I Can’t Breathe” by Tosin Jay, featuring Geoffrey Orji and Monica Ogah, on Monday in Abuja.
Geoffrey Orji is the winner of the MTN 2014 Project Fame, while Monica Ogah won the competition in 2011.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the song was written and composed by Onjie.
”We implore all the people in authority to continue to pursue the cause of social justice, peace and equity, bearing in mind that justice is the only guarantee we have for peaceful coexistence.
”It is a great honour for me to welcome you to the formal launching of the hit musical single, ‘I Can’t Breathe”.
”I consider it a great privilege to be the composer of the song,” he said.
The PRODA board chairman said he was inspired to write the song by the killing of the young African-American husband and father of three, George Floyd, by a Cop in Minneasota, in the United States
According to him, the incident, which occurred earlier in the year, had become a sore point in America’s history.
He noted that the development was so, as the blood of Floyd and many hapless American citizens cut short in the protests that broke out in the aftermath of his murder, still cried out for justice.
”After I conceived and wrote this song, I had to reach out to the team of artistes to sing the song.
”At this juncture, I must commend the lead artiste, Tosin Jay, who did a great job, sacrificed everything and put his creativity at its peak with this song.
”And Daybreak Records, my record label, is pleased to present this song as its debut single music production,” Onjie said.
He urged Nigeria and the entire world to look out for the young and upcoming artiste.
The PRODA boss further explained that having started the process of production of the song, he felt that ‘Daybreak Records’ would be a platform to promote all other artistes across the different musical genres.
He added that the primary objective of the music label was, however, to focus on communicating messages that would promote social change in the society.
”We want to use this medium to tell all Americans that black people have a stake in that country, providence has brought them together.
”We equally want to use this opportunity to talk to Nigerians as well, that ethno-religious and political crisis would not take us anywhere,” he said.
He noted that America was the role model of democracy across the world, adding that many African countries had toed the path of democracy.
He stressed that what happened to Floyd was a terrible precedent for other countries that looked up to America.
“It must be condemned before it begins to affect the psyche of African cops, who equally have a long history of extrajudicial killings in their trails,” he said.
NAN reports that several artists from Lagos and other parts of the country featured at the event, which had various dignitaries in attendance.
Edited By: Chinyere Nwachukwu and Ephraims Sheyin
NCDC records 97 new COVID-19 infections, total cases now 57, 242
The NCDC disclosed this on its official twitter handle on Sunday .
It added that three persons died of COVID-19 complications while 138 patients, who recovered at various isolation centres across the country the same day, were discharged.
Based on the figures released, Lagos state recorded the highest number of infections with 46 new cases.
The data released also indicated that Kwara recorded 12 new infections, Rivers 11, and Adamawa 4.
Others were Niger – 4, Ogun – 4, Osun – 4, Ekiti – 3, Imo – 3, Kaduna – 3, Plateau – 2, and Federal Capital Territory (FCT) – 1.
“Till date, 57, 242 cases have been confirmed, 48, 569 cases have been discharged, and 1,098 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the FCT,” the centre said.
Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Emmanuel Yashim
Buhari holds closed-door meeting with Ghanaian president at Aso Villa
President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday night met behind closed doors with President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Bashir Ahmad, the President’s Personal Assistant on New Media, confirmed this on his Twitter handle.
The presidential aide, who could not elaborate on the agenda of the meeting between the two leaders, however, posted pictures in which the Nigerian leader could be seen escorting his guest after the meeting.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the closure of shops owned by Nigerian traders in Ghana had heightened tensions between the two countries, a situation which led the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama to summon Ghana’s Charge d Affaires to Nigeria, Ms Iva Denoo for discussions.
Onyeama had also met with representatives of Nigerian traders in Ghana, led by Jasper Emenike, the National President of Progressive Ambassadors of Nigeria (PAN), and the organisation’s National Director, Ruth Ango over the matter.
The Speaker, House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, had also visited Ghana on Sept. 2 with a view to seeing how the issues at stake could be resolved amicably.
According to the speaker, the closure of the Nigerian shops in Ghana contravenes the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) protocol on free movement of citizens of member states, and trade liberalisation scheme.
NAN reports that the ECOWAS Trade Liberalisation Scheme (ETLS) adopted in 1979 with an agreement on agricultural, artisanal handicrafts, and unprocessed products, and extended to industrial products in 1990, is the main framework for trade and market integration in ECOWAS as it addresses protocols on the free movement of goods, persons, and transportation.
The scheme’s main pursuit of consolidating the free trade area is guided by the National Approval Committee that informs the member states.
Similarly, Article (3) of the Revised Treaty of ECOWAS on trade and market integration stipulates the removal of trade barriers and harmonisation of trade policies for the establishment of a Free Trade Area, a Customs Union, a Common Market and an eventual culmination in to a Monetary and Economic Union in West Africa.
NAN further reports that the Ghanaian government had proposed a meeting between the two leaders prior to the one they held behind closed doors on Sunday.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Nasarawa state to host teqball championship in November, official says
Ndudi Edede, Secretary-General of Nigerian Teqball Federation (NTF), says Nasarawa state will host the first edition of the National Teqball Challengers Series scheduled to kick off on Nov. 7.
Edede disclosed this to newsmen in Abuja on Sunday after a meeting between the federation’s national and state officials.
He urged Nasarawa state officials to step up preparations for the series.
”Nasarawa state will serve as a litmus test for the series in view of the fact that the 2020 series will be the maiden series in the country since the commencement of the sport in Nigeria.”
Edede said the first phase of the event would be held on Nov. 7 and Nov. 8 and would provide an opportunity for youths to learn something new.
He added that the second phase of the event would then hold on Nov. 10 and Nov. 11 also in Lafia.
“We had Nasarawa state and the FCT bidding for the hosting rights, and now we are certain that this event will take place in Lafia.
“The national challengers series is a qualifier for the Teqball World Cup slated for Europe towards the late part of this year. So, I am sure Lafia will be a good host,” Edede said.
Speaking also, Promise Uwaeme, NTF’s Director of Competition, said the event in Lafia would be streamed live internationally.
He added that athletes from various states of the country would compete in the singles and doubles events of the competition’s male and female categories
Uwaeme added that winners in various categories would represent Nigeria at the international level.
“Teqball is an interesting game and you have to be skillful to play teqball. It is played on a curved table with a regular certified ball. You can play with all parts of the body apart from the hands.
“Then the championship will help our players to get world ranking,” he said.
David Allu, The Nasarawa State Chairman of NTF, expressed happiness with the hosting rights given to the state.
He assured the national officials of a strong synergy between the state’s Ministry of Youths and Sports and the NTF, saying this would ensure the events were a huge success.
“We are quite excited that we will be the first state to host this Challengers Series in the country and we will put in our best to collaborate with the state Ministry of Sports to see that we get a befitting venue and get all the arrangements to host this tournament done.”
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that teqball is a ball sport played on a curved table, combining elements of football and table tennis.
Back and forth, the players hit a football with any part of the body except arms and hands.
Teqball can be played between two players as a singles game, or between four players as a doubles game.
The game is represented at an international level by the International Federation of Teqball (FITEQ).
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Ebonyi bus accident: FRSC, Police confirm 3 more bodies retrieved from river
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ebonyi has confirmed the recovery of three more corpses from the Akeze-Ukwu River after a Mercedes 608-model bus plunged into the river on Sept.18.
The News Agency of Nigeria , recalls that the bus conveying members of a Church who attended their pastor’s burial was returning to Enugu when the accident occurred.
The bus driver was said to have lost control of the vehicle while trying to overtake an articulated vehicle on the bridge.
Uchegbu said that the corps sent its personnel to the hospital, where some rescued victims were being treated, to interact with doctors on the true reports concerning the ‘unfortunate’ incident.
“We have been getting conflicting reports on the casualties so we sent our personnel to the hospital to interact with the doctors handling the cases.
“We were able to ascertain that seven persons were actually rescued from the river on the day of the incident instead of five earlier reported.
“One person was confirmed dead, two persons are presently on admission, two have been officially discharged while two opted to return home having sustained no injuries from the incident,” she said.
Ughegbu said that with the 14 corpses retrieved from the river on the second day of the rescue operations and the three other corpses retrieved on Sunday, the total number of retrieval is 24.
According to her, the total number of dead victims is now 18.
Also, the Ebonyi command of the Nigerian Police Force confirmed in a stateement the retrieval of three more corpses on Sunday, adding that a retired police officer was among the deceased persons.
“Efforts are still on to recover the remaining 10 persons,” it stated.
Edited By: Dianabasi Effiong/Donald Ugwu