The Duke of Edinburgh‘s funeral will take place in Windsor on April 17, without public access or a public procession beforehand, a spokesperson for Buckingham Palace said on Saturday.
The event is to be a “royal funeral ceremony”, rather than a state funeral, which “reflects the Duke’s wishes very well,” a palace spokesperson said.
A national minute of silence will be observed as the funeral begins at 3:00 p.m. BST at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor.
Members of the public will not be allowed to attend as procedures have been curtailed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The funeral will be broadcast live on television.
Given the current pandemic restriction that allows only 30 mourners to attend, the event will be scaled down. At this time, there is no confirmation on the rest of the guest list yet.
“In accordance with government guidelines and public health measures, there will be no public processions and the Duke’s funeral will take place entirely within the grounds of Windsor Castle,” the palace spokesman said.
The Queen approved the prime minister’s recommendation that there would be eight days of national mourning, ending on the day of the duke’s funeral, the palace said.
During the period of national mourning, the Union flags will remain at half mast but the Royal Standard, which flies when the Queen is in residence in one of the Royal Palaces, will be at full mast.
The Royal Family will observe two weeks of mourning and royal engagements will continue, with mourning bands worn where appropriate.
Sky News reported that Prince Harry will be traveling from his home in the United States to attend, although his pregnant wife Meghan has been advised by medics not to travel.
Earlier on Saturday, gunshots were fired across Britain on land and at sea in memory of the Duke who died on Friday at the age of 99.
The Royal Family website has asked people not to leave flowers and tributes at royal residences. The website encourages members of the public to consider donating to charity instead of leaving floral tributes.
Prince Philip was born on the Greek island of Corfu on June 10, 1921.
He married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became Queen, and was the longest-serving royal consort in British history.
The couple had four children, eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren. (Xinhua / NAN)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yJa
- WHO panel urges bold overhaul of pandemic prevention measures
- $540bn remittance flow reaches low-and-middle-income countries in 2020- WB
- Arsenal dent Chelsea’s Champions League push
- Kalu salutes Ekweremadu at 59
- NECO: 115 inmates credit English, Maths in Enugu
- Infinix Releases Award Winning NOTE 10 Pro Series Powerful Performance. Iconic design
- Eid-el-fitr: Yahaya Bello calls for national integration
- Eid el-Fitr; Atiku wants Nigerians reflect on peace, unity
- Osinbajo graces Museveni’s inauguration in Kampala