Police in Niger State said they foiled bandits’ attack on Maraban Dan-Daudu village in Shiroro Local Government Area of the state, rescued 15 victims and arrested three suspected bandits.
DSP Wasiu Abiodun, the spokesman of the command, said this in a statement on Friday in Minna.
He said though 15 abducted victims were rescued, scores of bandits escaped into the forest with gun injuries.
Abiodun said the incident occurred on May 12 at about 9.30 a.m. when armed bandits attempted to invade Maraban Dan-Daudu and Jiko villages via Gwada, Shiroro Local Government Area.
“Joint security team deployed to the area, with vigilante members, responded and engaged the bandits in gun duel which lasted for several hours following a distress call on the attack,” he said.
Abiodun also said that on May 11, at about 1: 30 p.m., information was received that suspected armed bandits were sighted at forest via Lapai Local Government Area.
“Police tactical team attached to Lapai Division with vigilante members were mobilized to the area and engaged the bandits in gun duel and the team overpowered them.
“Some of the hoodlums escaped into the forest with bullet injuries,” he said.
The spokesman named the suspects arrested to include: Aliyu Mohammed Dauda, Wada Usman Shehu both of Maikunkele, Bosso Local Government Area and Mohammed Shehu Abubakar of Maiyaki village, Lapai Local Government Area.
He said two burnt motorcycles were recovered from their camp, noting that the case was under investigation as effort was ongoing to apprehend other fleeing members of the gang.
He said that the suspects would be arraigned in court after investigation and urged the public to report anyone with gun injury to the nearest police station.
- Nigeria, others review progress on global migration compact
- NAF free medical outreach excites Kaduna residents
- Ooni urges Oyetola to rely on divine success for his second term
- Average price for 5kg cooking gas increases to N3,800.47- NBS
- Primary : Atiku visits Gombe, confident of PDP delegates’ support
- Ondo assembly passes 2022 OSOPADEC budget into law
- Okada ban: Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement
- Gov. Ugwuanyi sets up, operationalises 10 type-3 PHC centres in Enugu – ENS-PHCDA boss
- WHO urges increased surveillance as COVID-19 cases rise in Americas
- Mali’s withdrawal from G5 Sahel, Joint Force ‘a setback’ for the region
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- CAN, JNI pledge support as FG conducts headcount for teachers, pupils
- Delta traditional rulers to partner CSOs to deepen gains of MDGs
- I’ll complete airport, school projects before leaving office – Fayemi
- ASUU Strike: NANS protests in Ekiti
- British Council to establish Arts, Culture Academy in Nigeria
- Africities 2022 Summit: Backbone of the continent, intermediary cities absorb most of the urban population growth, according to a report co-led by the African Development Bank
- Lagos govt., Polaris Bank unveil N1bn fund to empower artisans
- Nigeria reiterates commitment to implementing GCM agreement in New York
- Okada ban: Lagos residents express divergent views
- Perm Sec. harps on need to revive lost cultural values, traditions
- Businessman arraigned for alleged importation of fake drug
- Enugu: No life lost, nobody injured in Emene incident – Police
- FCTA demolishes over 30 houses in Trademore Estate Lugbe, over flooding
- Salami Panel: Magu will still be prosecuted if indicted despite promotion – Minister
- African Energy Week (AEW) Releases First Video for its Energy Investment Drive
- Troops recover guns, ammunition from insurgents enclave in Imo – Army spokesman
- Couple charged with involuntary manslaughter of housemaid knows fate July 7
- FG, Netherland to intensify efforts at curbing environmental hazards in Nigeria
- Investigating Policy and Business Requisites to Boost Hydrocarbon Investment in Africa
- NGO canvasses for more awareness on laws against SGBV in grassroots
- Agroforestry, Land Use policy to address land degradation – Minister
- African Energy Week calls for nominations to its world-renowned African Energy Awards
- Managing internal boundary crisis key to sustainable development — Ondo deputy governor
- Digitalisation will make public service smarter, faster — Akeredolu
- 25 ships discharge petrol, other items at Lagos ports
- Smart Africa Digital Academy (SADA) Launches its National Digital Academy in Ghana
- Army boss calls for civil society involvement in tackling insecurity
- 10th Youth Development Webinar Program 2022 “Building Youth Resilience: Transition to Green Economy and Beyond”
- Buhari’s support gave me political glory – Bauchi governor
- ICT: NCC begins awareness creation on safety, security for girls
- WHO authorises China’s CanSinoBIO Covid-19 vaccine
- Court permits landlord to break open, change locks on tenant’s door
- Sanwo-Olu describes RANAO as vanguard association for national development
- Africa Hospitality Investment Forum (AHIF) Returns to Morocco
- Community leader, 2 others docked for alleged intimidation
- Zamfara APC holds mini delegates conference
- Indonesia lifts palm oil export ban after protests
- Three Professors Win 2022 Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) Prize for Impactful Achievement in Islamic Economics
- CSO to support implementation of $700m W/Bank water project in Nigeria