Police find toxic substance in glucose mix after pregnant woman dies
NNN: Police investigating the deaths of a mother and her baby in the German city of Cologne have discovered a toxic substance in a glucose solution that the pregnant woman ingested as part of a routine test for gestational diabetes.
The substance was found in a glucose container that a pharmacy in Cologne used to prepare the solution, police said on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old woman died last week of multiple organ failure, an autopsy found.
Doctors unsuccessfully tried to save her baby through a Caesarean delivery. It was not clear how far the pregnancy had progressed.
Police and municipal authorities had called on Monday for patients with glucose-containing preparations from the pharmacy in question to not use and return them.
No one had come forward by Tuesday, Police spokesman Ralf Remmert said.
The pharmacy has been prohibited from selling any more self-produced medicine for the time being. The owner of the pharmacy said he was baffled by the deaths.
“I am stunned, I can’t explain it,” Till Fuxius said, stressing that he is “a witness, not a suspect” in the investigation.
A doctor had alerted the authorities on Thursday. Another woman who had been given the same solution also suffered complications, but stopped taking the mixture.
The pharmacy is located on the property of the Heilig Geist Hospital in Cologne but a spokeswoman for the latter said that the pharmacy was independent.
Edited by Fatima Sule/Ifeyinwa Omowole
- 2023 budget: Kaduna State Govt will adhere to MTEF recommendation – Perm. Sec.
- WAFCON 2022: Our sight remains on the trophy, Falcons
- Ericsson invites participants to ‘Together Apart Hackathon’ to boost innovation in Nigeria
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC deploys 36,000 personnel, 750 patrol vehicles, ambulances
- OPEC Secretary-General, Barkindo dies at 63
- Banditry: Matawalle security agencies of his total support
- Gunmen attack Kuje Custodial Centre in Abuja
- Enugu govt. appoints Ihuoma Eze, acting coordinator of APPEALS World Bank project
- Roadmap for new NNPC hinges on PIA – Okadigbo
- Sallah: Presidency condemn attack on President Buhari’s advance team in Katsina
- My alleged suspension over alleged financial impropriety a huge joke-PDP chairman
- We must appreciate our history to develop as a nation – History Teacher
- Bandits burn down 2 health centres, shut 69 others in Katsina— official
- Police confirm killing of area commander by bandits in Katsina
- UN chief welcomes ECOWAS resolutions on Mali, commends Goodluck Jonathan
- NAOWA gifts food items, medicine, others to widows of fallen soldiers in Imo
- PDP’ll participate in Ebonyi July LG polls- Party Chairman
- Breaking: Sporadic gunshots, bomb blast heard near Kuje Prison
- Gunmen kill police inspector, abduct Chinese national in Kwara
- Gender-based, income inequalities fuelling teen pregnancies in developing countries – UNFPA