The police arraigned a 25-year-old tricycle driver, Ahmed Usman, at a Kaduna Chief Magistrate’s Court on Friday for alleged theft of two phones valued at N250,000.
Usman who lives at Kinkino, Kaduna State, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
Prosecutor, Insp Chidi Leo, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on Nov. 12 at Kano Road, Kaduna, where he was caught dipping his hands in the bag of one Halima Sani, a tricycle passenger, to steal the phones.
Leo said that Halima kept her bag beside her in a tricycle and was exchanging pleasantries with a friend when Usman dipped his hands inside her bag.
He added that the defendant tried to escape from the scene when an alarmed was raised, but was caught and handed over to the police.
The magistrate, Ibrahim Emmanuel, granted Usman bail in the sum of N100,000 with two sureties in like sum.
The sureties, he said, must be resident within the court’s jurisdiction. He also adjourned the case to Dec. 15 for hearing.
Edited By: Alli Hakeem
- Canada World Youth and Africa Skills Hub partner to launch Women’s Entrepreneurship and Livelihoods Initiative (WELI)
- Sonangol celebrates 45 years in the service of Angola (By Charné Hundermark)
- Africa Oil & Power officially opens workshops in Mozambique and celebrates International Women’s Day
- Call for an independent investigation into the death of Rwandan singer Kizito Mihigo
- Kasi Insight data on Africa is now available as part of an alternative data catalog through Bloomberg’s Data Market Place
- Whenever you’re ready to travel again, Jumeirah is here to help plan the perfect vacation with an exclusive global offer.
- Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 update (March 7, 2021)
- Global COVID-19 experts see inequitable vaccine distribution and reluctance to be key challenges for Africa in 2021
- Q&A with Paula Lanco – President of the Women’s Rugby Advisory Committee