Police detains Naira Marley after surrendering self, to appear in court Tuesday
NNN: The Lagos State Police Command will, on Tuesday, arraign a controversial singer, Azeez Fashola, popularly known as Naira Marley, over his alleged violation of government’s restriction order to mitigate the spread of Coronavirus in the state.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Naira Marley was identified to be among the more than 20 guests, who attended the birthday party which Nollywood actress, Funke Akindele, organised for her husband, in violation of government’s restriction order.
A Lagos Magistrates’ Court, had, on Monday, found Akindele and her husband, Abdul-Rasheed Bello, popularly known as JJC Skillz, guilty of illegal gathering and sentenced them to a 14-day community service and a fine of N100,000 each.
Consequently, the command ordered Naira Marley to make himself available at the command or be declared wanted for alleged violation of the state’s order on social distancing.
The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Bala Elkana, in a statement on Monday, confirmed that Naira Marley was now in their custody and would be arraigned in court on Tuesday.
“Azeez Fashola, a.k.a Naira Marley, is now in police custody. He will also be charged to court for violating the restriction order.
“The command has launched a manhunt for the remaining persons who attended the party.
“The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, CP Hakeem Odumosu, expressed his profound gratitude to Lagosians and other well-meaning Nigerians, who spoke up against the violations,” he said.
Edited By: Kevin Okunzuwa and
- UN-Habitat, ESCWA highlight the importance of data collection and monitoring in improving the resilience of Arab cities
- Abuja fans express disappointment over Super Falcons’ poor performance against South Africa
- Kenya: President Kenyatta Assures of Conducive Investment Environment
- Super Falcons unfazed inspite of loss to South Africa, says Coach Waldrum
- Win against Nigeria crucial to our title ambition, says South Africa’s coach
- Libya: new suspected mass graves found in Tarhuna, says UN human rights probe
- Paucity of funds delays development of education in Katsina State – Official
- Borno inaugurates committee on repatriation, management of repentant insurgents
- Police re-arrest jailbreaker in Ondo State
- Army restates resolve to checkmate proliferation of small arms, light weapons
- Nadal swats away Dutchman Van de Zandschulp to march into quarters
- Presidential Amnesty boss woos N/Delta Diaspora to invest at home
- Saudi Exports Hosts 80 Egyptian and Nigerian Importers
- 2023: Sani picks El-Rufai’s deputy, Balarabe, as running mate
- Hoodlums attack lawmakers, injured 6, damage cars in Bauchi
- Enugu fans express dismay over Super Falcon 2-1 loss to S/Africa
- Lagos govt partners Ebony Life Academy to train 119 youths in filmmaking
- 2023: Focus on candidates’ antecedents, not religion leaning, Group urges Nigerians
- Encomiums pour in for Olu Jacobs at 80
- Borno PDP crisis deepens, as faction suspends legal adviser, others