By Mateen Badru
Lagos State Police Commissioner CP Hakeem Odumosu has deployed an additional 1,000 people to check for traffic thefts in the state.
Command spokesman CSP Olumuyiwa Adejobi said this in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency (NAN) on Thursday.
Adejobi said the command gave the police motorcycles, which made it easier for them to maneuver and follow traffic thieves.
“Luck as it is commonly known in Lagos State is one of the crimes we are recording, where passengers are robbed and pushed out of moving commercial vehicles, and the command is aware of it.
“This is why we have stepped up our intelligence and are taking proactive steps to ensure perpetrators are caught in their hiding places before they strike.
“What the CP did again was deploy an additional 1,000 people in the state traffic division and were given motorcycles to maneuver and control traffic thieves,” Adejobi said. .
He added that the Command had deployed police to enhance security at flashpoints and along most major state roads.
Adejobi explained that traffic thieves typically operate on motorcycles or simply surrender to their victims in a heist while operators of one chance steal passengers from inside vehicles.
He said most of the time, advertisements with trackable registration numbers were used to perpetuate the act.
He urged members of the public to properly assess vehicles before boarding and also take note of registration numbers when they are unsure.
“Single operators can be easily tracked as long as we have the vehicle registration number. This is what enabled LASTMA agents to intercept a vehicle in Aja recently.
“All we just need is for people to be aware of the buses they are getting on. Be sure to assess the type of people on the bus and don’t walk in just because you’re in a rush to get to your destination.
“But we are aware of both incidents and their modus operandi. We have arrested many culprits and we will not back down, ”he said. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3z4S
- Siemens, German government and Solidarity Fund hand over 100-bed modular hospital solution
- NiMet predicts 3 days cloudiness, thunderstorms from Friday
- Arrival of the new Hapag-Lloyd East Africa service in Kenya and Tanzania
- Eid-el-Fitr: Uzodimma hosts Muslims in Imo
- Envoy pledges to strengthen Nigeria-Cuba relations
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 update (May 13, 2021)
- Real Madrid stay in title hunt with win at Granada
- Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 daily update (May 13, 2021)
- Nadal follows Djokovic into Rome Open quarter-finals after epic fightback